Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Grey hair question

>

PEPteach

Grey hair question
Old 06-15-2022, 03:52 PM

I got my haircut today. I'm in my late 30's, and I was talking to my stylist about how I've noticed a few grey hairs sneaking in. (Have never desired or needed to dye my hair.) I told her my mom was lucky enough to not go grey until she was around 60, but both of my sisters have had more grey than me at a younger age.

She mentioned that women used to go grey (naturally) earlier but now women's hair is turning grey later later in life. I thought this was odd. I thought it totally depended on the person/genetics. She seemed to base it on the fact that her mom went grey in her 20's and she's in her 30's and is just starting to go grey.

What do you think? What have you noticed?

PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 06-15-2022, 03:57 PM

got my first white hair while i was pregnant with first DS (1996). had a white patch (NOT cute and all in one "neat clump) by the time i was 40.

i never had grey hair--straight to white. i have it both sides of temple (both temples?) and all about the back, underneath. not enough to let grow out and look good. makes me look really old in the front due to my hair's somewhat frizzy nature, so i use temporary dye.
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 06-15-2022, 03:59 PM

I think it's genetics.

On my maternal side, people tend to start going grey/white very early--like mid 20s.

On my paternal side, much later. Apparently my father's mother had a full head of dark hair until her 50s...and my father didn't really turn white until his 60s. It's kind of split half and half in my family, with my siblings. I guess I'm lucky that I take after my father's side I have a few here and there but they really aren't noticeable unless someone is looking closely.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 06-15-2022, 04:06 PM

I don't think this is true in all families. I had noticeable white hair earlier than my mom did and my daughter had white hair even earlier than I did. And all of us had noticeably white hair before age 35. (I started covering mine at age 27.)

I'll tell you what I am pondering right now, though. I appear to have dark hair growing in again, especially in front. I'll never have dark brown hair again but I think I'm going to have a grey streak in front pretty soon. It seems to me that this began when I made the decision to retire fully from teaching. Never let anybody tell you that teaching is not a stressful job!
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 06-15-2022, 04:09 PM

I don't think people are graying later than in the past. I think it's almost entirely a matter of genetics. My hair was very dark brown, and I noticed gray hairs in my mid to late 30s. My mother's hair was almost black, and she also was going gray in her 30s and had noticeably gray hair in her 40s. Completely white hair by 70. She never colored it. I did. Started with highlights and eventually went to full coverage. Decided to go gray at 69 during the Pandemic. Love my silver hair now.

My sisters on the other hand had lighter brown hair like my dad. He died at 67 with few visible gray hairs. They also have grayed very slowly. At 66, my younger sister has very few gray hairs!

You roll the genetic dice, you take your chances!

Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

dawnmei

grey hair
Old 06-15-2022, 04:10 PM

I was in my 20s when I had my first grey hair, but literally just a few for the whole decade. I will turn 50 next year and I have one defined grey streak in my hair (DH calls it a skunk stripe) and some scattered throughout the rest of my head. You'd have to really look to notice the ones other than the streak. My dad had white hair by 55 but my maternal grandma's hair still had black in it when she died at 97.
dawnmei is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 06-15-2022, 05:01 PM

I was white-blonde when young, then over the years of motherhood, it darkened to dirty-blonde. After I retired, the silver-grey came along to give me natural highlights. This is me now. (Sorry, too lazy to turn the picÖ.you get the idea.)
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 06-15-2022, 05:24 PM

Your hair looks great, Amiga! So glossy and perfect.

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 06-15-2022, 06:44 PM

Wow, Amiga, your hair is beautiful! I was a redhead. I noticed my first silver hairs in my early 20s. By the time I was 30, I had a mallen streak, very similar to Bonnie Raitt's. Gradually, the rest of my hair faded to blond. Now I am 48 and my hair is completely blond with silver streaks. I have never dyed my hair. This picture is from a couple of years ago.

I think the reason people age later in life now is because our lifestyles are so much different than people of previous generations.

https://www.boredpanda.com/past-youn...mpaign=organic
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 06-15-2022, 06:49 PM

Mrs.Lilbit, your hair is beautiful, too!
Interesting about your red hair fading to blond.
In my observations, red hair usually tends to turn straight to white, usually at a fairly young age. (I have some red headed family members)

teachnkids

Old 06-15-2022, 07:24 PM

I was coloring mine in my 20s and in my early 60s Iím still coloring it. Iíd be 100% gray, and have been for many years!

My DD is 30 and has 2 gray hairs.

My sister is 4 years younger than me and has some, but not anywhere near what I have!

Itís definitely genetics!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 06-15-2022, 09:42 PM

GeneticsÖ.

I have white hair much earlier than my sisters & mom.

My hair color is closer to my aunts/dad (lmedium brown with blonde highlights)and they got white hair earlier. My first few white hairs were at 24. I thought Iíd need to dye it by 30, but Iíve actually been able to get to 40 without dying itÖnow Iím going toÖ.

My mom and oldest sister have similar hair color (dark brown that looks black)& have relatively few white hairs and later in age!

My red headed/strawberry blonde sister got white hairs more in between ages.
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-15-2022, 11:36 PM

I always thought it was genetics and that darker hair went gray faster. I have dirty blonde hair. I've thought about dyeing it to be the more "golden blonde" I had when I was younger, but 1) I don't want to have to keep up with it and 2) I think it's really hard (and expensive!) to make dyed blonde hair look good. Also just thought of 3) my hair looks terrible without semi-frequent washing, which I know you can't do with dyed hair.

My mom didn't get grays at all until her late 50s, and then it wasn't even that noticeable. She is now early 60s and just started coloring her hair. I hope mine can last that long too! We don't have the same type of hair though. Funnily enough, her hair was straight and red until she got pregnant with me. Then it became brown and curly and stayed that way.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

booklady57

a combination of genetics and anemia?
Old 06-16-2022, 03:56 AM

I went gray in my thirties, while the father I resembled still had dark hair. Life isn't fair! My sisters, both blondes, took after my mom in hair color, and didn't gray until much later.

But, I've always thought genetics was a part of it. I have also heard that severe anemia (which many women have at some point in their lives) can cause gray.
booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote

NoKetchup

Old 06-16-2022, 04:52 AM

My mom started going grey and she started coloring it 18! I started in my mid 20ís. I just turned 40 and my hair is completely salt and pepper (except for the purple on top!)
NoKetchup is online now   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Gray Hair
Old 06-16-2022, 05:10 AM

Iím following this closelyÖ

I found my first random gray hair around 28. However, I just turned 41 and my grays are really starting to come out to play I started in my late 30ís with a few along my middle part / above my temples where my side parts really show it. However, in the last 1.5 years they are really coming out. Itís sooooooo obvious when I pull my hair back, not noticeable (as much) if I wear it down.

My mom was full salt and pepper in her late 40ís/50ís and almost full gray by her late 50ís. However, she had a very pretty silver gray.

Personally, I think itís genetic but what do I know. Iíve now decided Iím finished trying to cover it. I donít have the time, patience or extra cash for highlights. I was dying it at home but Iíve never really liked doing it. Then I was just doing a semi-permanent but even that just seems like more trouble (and damage to my long fine hair) than itís worth. I do use Aveda Clove color depositing shampoo whenever I feel like my brown hair could use some extra sparkle & love.

Iím interested to see everyoneís take on going gray.
WordFountain is online now   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

After reading everyoneís replies
Old 06-16-2022, 05:20 AM

Quote:
have also heard that severe anemia (which many women have at some point in their lives) can cause gray.
I wonder if stress/trauma causes it as well. I had a pregnancy later in life (39) and a pretty traumatic delivery. I definitely needed iron for some time postpartum. After that I began noticing my gray appearing at a much quicker pace. I just chalked it up to my age but after reading otherís replies (after pregnancy, anemiaÖ)

Also, regarding stress I think of our former Presidents going gray so quickly in their 4-8 years as well as POW soldiers.

Very interesting thread.
WordFountain is online now   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

gray
Old 06-16-2022, 05:29 AM

I think it's mostly genetics.

My dad was gray in his 20's, and I got that gene. I got my first gray hair at 21. My sister started graying in her 30's. My mom is 80 and still is not gray!

So, in my case the gene runs in my dad's side of the family.

I have highlights to blend in my gray every 7 weeks, but one day I may let it go. Not brave enough yet!
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 06-16-2022, 06:42 AM

I think it is genetics. My grandfather was completely grey (before he started balding) by the time he was 28.

I started getting gray hairs in my mid 20's.

DD is 15 and I find 5 or 6 each time she asks me to help her with her hair.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 06-16-2022, 06:46 AM

Quote:
I wonder if stress/trauma causes it as well. I had a pregnancy later in life (39) and a pretty traumatic delivery. I definitely needed iron for some time postpartum. After that I began noticing my gray appearing at a much quicker pace. I just chalked it up to my age but after reading other’s replies (after pregnancy, anemia…)
Stress/trauma along with medical situations causes your hair growth to stop and have to restart and can cause thinning as well as growth issues so it would make sense that it also effects the “color cycle” of your hair as well. My friend had a major stroke in her early 30s and had a baby in her mid-30s, her hair growth has never been the same (hair vitamins have helped a ton!).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/neerana...ses-hair-loss/

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-...uses-gray-hair
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Hair
Old 06-16-2022, 06:48 AM

My mom started coloring her hair around age 30. She has very dark hair and fair skin. Her mom was a natural auburn-redhead.

I have naturally dark brown hair, Iíve highlighted and/or colored it since I was about 20 for style purposes. I had my first gray sighting at 41. Very few, wiry gray strands at my temples and crown. I donít really mind them. I go quite a while between colorings so I either touch them up with colored powder or shrug and go about day.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 06-16-2022, 06:57 AM

My hair started going grey at age 20! It's genetics for me. My mother had grey hair at a young age. I was figured I was lucky though. My dad is bald, and my sister's hair has definitely thinned out as she has aged. I'll take the grey that I can dye!
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 06-16-2022, 08:26 AM

I have more grey hair than my mom. My gramma had barely any grey hair. My life has been a lot rougher and more challenging than hers has, so I think its not just genetics.
I like my grey hairs. I have earned them.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

tatapatch

20's
Old 06-16-2022, 09:24 AM

I didn't notice grey hair until my dad passed away when I was in my 20's. After that, it was downhill from there. Now, in my mid 30's, I have grey if I pull my hair back at the top.. so, I color it. That's the ONLY reason and I hate to do it!
tatapatch is offline   Reply With Quote