Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Chicago recommendations

>

1totravel

Chicago recommendations
Old 06-16-2022, 12:58 PM

Hello! I'll be in Chicago for a week this summer and am looking for any suggestions on things you've enjoyed--restaurants (including hole in the wall), attractions, etc. I am open to suggestion and look forward to any input. I do like museums, aquariums, history, eating...Thanks!

1totravel is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Old 06-16-2022, 01:05 PM

Our highlight was a river cruise that featured the architecture.
luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

I second
Old 06-16-2022, 01:15 PM

going on an architecture river cruise. We did that and loved it. We went mostly for baseball so my husband could go to a game at Wrigley Field. We went up into the Willis Tower to see the view from their observation deck. We went over to the park with the bean and to the pier. The pier was underwhelming. I would have loved to have gone to a couple of the museums, but we weren't there long enough.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Chicago
Old 06-16-2022, 01:18 PM

We did a nighttime ghost tour. It was very interesting to see the railroad tracks Abe Lincoln’s funeral train traveled on. We also did two City Line bus tours of the north and south sides of the city. We saw both ball fields and had a brief stop at th3 Lincoln Park Zoo. If I had more time, I would want to see the Field Museum and the Shedd Aquarium.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Old 06-16-2022, 01:29 PM

We also enjoyed the Frank Lloyd Wright tour in Oak Park.

luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

NatureLvr

Old 06-16-2022, 01:53 PM

Architectural boat tour, Millennium Park, the Museum of Science and Industry, the Botanic Garden (not in Chicago but in the northern suburbs), Chicago History Museum, and the Planetarium are all good places to go.

Make sure you eat a Chicago style hotdog from one of the many hotdog stands and try deep dish pizza. Tea at the Palmer House is also fun. Greek Islands is popular with visitors. Try Geja’s Cafe if you like fondue.
NatureLvr is online now   Reply With Quote

OD

Pizzeria Uno
Old 06-16-2022, 02:09 PM

If you want to do deep dish. It takes a long time to get it, but itís the best!
OD is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

Old 06-16-2022, 02:09 PM

Chicago Pizza & Oven Grinder. Totally worth the wait. Be sure to order the Mediterranean bread.

https://chicagopizzaandovengrinder.com/

Last edited by bandmom; 06-16-2022 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: spelling
bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Old 06-16-2022, 02:43 PM

Water Tower Place, The Bean/ Millennial Park, The architectural boat tour (the best of all the Chicago boat tours), Willis Tower, Pizzeria Uno (one of if not the first and best deep dish pizzas), The Art Institute, The Shedd Aquarium ( this one if farther south along with the National History Museum and The Museum of Science and Industry.

For shopping: the Magnificent Mile and Water Tower Place (Chanel)

See a theater show while you are in. The Palmer House is also a lovely hotel as well as the Drake.

You may still like Soldierís Field. There is lots of activity there and there are different boat rides that you can take.

Enjoy your trip!
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 06-16-2022, 04:11 PM

Born and raised here and still go there almost every week although we live in the suburbs.

You’ve had some good suggestions. If you plan to do several of the attractions, then look into getting a City Pass and see if it worth the money. We used it for out of town visitors about 4 years ago and it saved us money.
https://www.citypass.com/chicago?mv_...SAAEgI67vD_BwE

I highly recommend the Architecture Tour boats. You get a lot of the history and it’s a nice view of the city.

There are also Water Taxis to take you to some areas. A few that I’ve taken are from the Shedd Aquarium to Navy Pier, to Chinatown and the Riverwalk.

The Mag Mile is good shopping, however, I’d skip Water Tower Place. Half of the entire building is closed. We were there in the winter and there’s not many stores open anymore. The one store there, if you have kids, is the American Girl Doll Store.

If you’re a baseball fan take in a game at Wrigley Field. Or book a tour of Wrigley when they’re not playing. It’s also a lively bar and restaurant area.

Theater is pretty big in Chicago, so check out Broadway in Chicago for all the different shows that will be here.

https://www.broadwayinchicago.com/sh...SAAEgL8OPD_BwE

There are always street and neighborhood festivals on the weekends. For example this weekend is the Gold Coast Art Fair in Grant Park. The festivals have music and food. They usually ask for a donation to enter the street festivals but you don’t have to give what they suggest or give anything at all because it’s a public street.

Make sure you enjoy the lakefront. You can walk the path or rent a bike. There’s several beaches and cafes on the beaches. It’s a great place to people watch and there’s always a lot going on- sand volleyball, races, etc. Lincoln Park Zoo is near the lakefront and it is free.

I really like the rooftop at the London House for a drink and a beautiful view of the river.

I agree with Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder. Really there are so many great restaurants. If you know where you are staying, I can give you more suggestions.

hand is online now   Reply With Quote

Texas K-Girl

Architectural Tour
Old 06-16-2022, 05:01 PM

Another Yes to that tour. Many people recommended to us and we were not disappointed. Also did south and north side tours. They just tell you so much that youíve even heard of. I need to look at restaurants we went to. One we went to was so good that we went twice.
Texas K-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 06-16-2022, 06:00 PM

I'm a Chicagoan and I prefer thin crust pizza https://www.pizanoschicago.com/locations/. if it is a clear day I would to to the Signature Room in the Hancock building. Have a drink there and admire the view. For the best view of the city go into the women's bathroom in the Signature Room. The view is amazing. It's a different elevator than the one that takes you to the observatory but it's only one floor below. Oak Street beach is nice. It's right downtown and you can rent chairs. They have a restaurant there as well. The riverwalk has lots of restaurants and plenty of places to rest. The fountains at Millennium Park are fun to people watch.
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Mexican Museum of Art
Old 06-16-2022, 07:57 PM

Lots of great suggestions. I'd like to add one more, the Mexican Museum of Art. It's relatively small and not as formal as most museums--and it's FREE!
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 06-16-2022, 10:19 PM

I love just walking around Millenial Park, and walking around down town.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Chicago
Old 06-17-2022, 03:34 AM

What a great city! We went a few years ago and had such a great time. Most of what we did was already suggested, but I also recommend them! I looked back at my pictures and this is what we did and loved them all!

*Giordanos for Chicago style pizza (my fav!!) & Lou Malnati's for thin crust style
*Chicago style hotdog in the park
*Segway tour to see the fountain
*Subway to Wrigley Field to see a Cubs game
*Architecture boat tour
*Field Museum
*Skydeck at Willis Tower (used to be called Sears Tower) - clear floor!
*Bean at Millennium Park
*Navy Pier - Centennial Wheel
*Shedd Aquarium to see beluga whales
*Adler Planetarium
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 06-17-2022, 06:47 AM

The Grant Park Music Festival also has regular concerts at the Pritsker Pavillion in Millennium park. Comedy clubs, Goodman Theatre. The Ravina Festival in Highland Park, a north suburb, is also operating.

I love my jazz clubs too, If you like Jazz Andyís Jazz Club, Winterís Jazz Club, and Jazz Showcase are in the downtown area.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

There's
Old 06-17-2022, 08:49 AM

A Certain sandwich, cannot think of name, but the company originates from Illinois somewhere. They ship all over the world. Will follow up.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

NoKetchup

Chicago Resident
Old 06-17-2022, 09:22 AM

I have lived in Chicago for the last ten years and the list already given is great. Iím not sure where you are from but if you teach in Illinois you get into all the museums for free so make sure your bring your badge.
- Along with great theater I highly recommend Second City. So many famous people have come from there.
- the best Chicago hot dog place is Superdawgs but it isnít exactly near downtown.
- if you want a good restaurant I would check out Randolph and Fullerton. It is known as restaurant row. A former Top Chef winner has many restaurants there. All have Goat in the name (Girl and Goat, Little Goat, etc)
- I love exploring the neighborhoods. Wicker Park and Lincoln Square are some of my favorites.
- if you like pie , I highly suggest Hoosier Mama Pie. Each day they have a new menu and you can get a slice.
- if you like sports, the WNBA team the Chicago Sky is a great time. They won the championship last year and tickets are really cheap.
- Downtown is the Lincoln Park Zoo and it is free.
- if you like video games there a few bar/arcades like Emporium that are a fun night out.
- if you like exercise, bouldering (a form of rock climbing) have gyms all over the city. I climb at one location which is downtown and have great views!
- if you like coffee, check out any one of the Dark Matter locations for delicious coffee.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions!
NoKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote

OD

Happygal
Old 06-17-2022, 11:14 AM

Are you thinking of Portilloís Italian Beef?
OD is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Yes
Old 06-17-2022, 04:54 PM

Mulnatti's Pizza, Taste of Chicago
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

1totravel

Old 06-20-2022, 01:29 PM

I just want to thank you all so much for your diverse recommendations! So many awesome things to do and I appreciate your advice!
1totravel is offline   Reply With Quote