Anyone else taking no vacation this summer? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Anyone else taking no vacation this summer?

>

TexTeacher

Anyone else taking no vacation this summer?
Old 06-24-2022, 06:14 PM

Weíve had a lot of home repairs come up all at once and just canít justify a vacation this year. Iím so sad because my oldest will be a senior next year and Iím starting to feel like our days are numbered! We will definitely take a big senior trip next year though.

Anyone else doing no vacation this year?

TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 06-24-2022, 06:20 PM

I am almost off for the summer and everybody keeps asking me if Iím going anywhere. I always feel like my summer goes much slower if I donít go anywhere . Iím actually happy to stay at home and putter around.
CatLove is online now   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

staying home
Old 06-24-2022, 06:25 PM

This reminds me of our 2020 stay at home order. We took half day trips and became tourists of our state, visiting parks, monuments and sites we'd never visited. It got us out of the house and into the fresh air. We took picnic lunches and had a great time. At that time our rule was once we were in the car, the COVID virus was not discussed.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeaPro

Old 06-24-2022, 06:53 PM

I'm going to postpone my next vacation. Like TexTeacher I had to spend quite a bit on my house this year. Also, flights and gas are high right now. I'll do something in the fall. Meanwhile, our weather here just got summery (Is that a word?) so there is lots to do near home.
TeaPro is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-24-2022, 07:21 PM

We are not taking a vacation this summer because now that we are retired we donít have to travel in the summer when it is hotter than Satanís butthole.

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Staying home
Old 06-24-2022, 07:26 PM

We're staying homeówe usually do a big trip every other year, and last summer was the Grand Canyon. Frankly, I'm glad. With travel costs so high right now it's hard to justify spending the money. I'm happy being home and we'll do a few day trips to the coast.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-24-2022, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I’m actually happy to stay at home and putter around.
Same here. My mom was just lecturing me about not "putting off trips." I told her I wasn't putting anything off, I just don't want to go . I'd rather be at home relaxing with my cats. It's been a stressful year!

I am going back to my hometown to see family for 5 days in July. In my mind that doesn't count as a "vacation" but I guess it still counts as travelling.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

Nope
Old 06-25-2022, 01:44 AM

This year I replaced my roof and the floors in my living room, dining room, kitchen and bedrooms, along with some smaller home projects. There is no money left for vacation. I don't mind, I love the way my house looks and love being home.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

Old 06-25-2022, 02:50 AM

We went to Denver to visit family over Christmas so I've travelled. This summer, we're giving our money to a roofer, the optometrist, and the dentist. The state board of education got a chunk of our money to renew my license, so it'll be day trips close to home.
bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 06-25-2022, 04:08 AM

We rarely vacation in the summer. We sometimes used our February or April school break for trips. It helps that my mom lives next to a beautiful beach in Southern Maine which is less than a 3 hour drive, so we go there several times a summer for a few days.

Summer weather is nice here, winters not so much. It's the cold we wanted to escape from, hence we took trips to warm places during that.

twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

postponing trips
Old 06-25-2022, 04:56 AM

Quote:
My mom was just lecturing me about not "putting off trips." I told her I wasn't putting anything off, I just don't want to go . I'd rather be at home relaxing with my cats. It's been a stressful year!
I'm the same way! I would rather relax at home. It always seems like I have to take a vacation after my vacation since it's so tiring. Staying home is what works for me right now!
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 06-25-2022, 05:52 AM

Iím taking care of my 92 yr old mother and am not going anywhere until it is time to take her home. She came to stay with me in April so my sister, who she lives with, could sell and move into my momís old house. Well, my momís old house needs too much work to be livable so mom stays here until the work is done.

We havenít had a true vacation since 2020 so Iím getting antsy. Even though we live in paradise I still want to explore the world.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 06-25-2022, 06:59 AM

We put off booking our trip because of gas prices and wanting to see what would happen. Then my Dad is spending the summer with chemo treatments so we want to stay to close. We're also doing one improvements and repairs. But it's our 3rd year without my toes in sand and the ocean in front of me and I am not happy about it.
ICrazyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-25-2022, 07:27 AM

Since I broke my knee I am glad e we didnít have anything grand planned.

We are still planning to attend a wedding For Two days in about a week. Does that count as a vacation? 😆
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

SeaGlass

We never
Old 06-25-2022, 10:05 AM

take a summer vacation. When we worked, DH worked as a truck driver for a food service distributor so although he was home at night, he never had a summer vacation. We always went on vacation during school vacation weeks....if at all.

Since we have been retired since 2020, we have vacationed in the Fall and Spring.....it is so nice not having to worry that prices are higher during school vacation weeks. Most places have not been that busy during the off times.

In the past, we have cancelled or postponed our vacations because of having to replace a furnace, two sets of braces and or car repairs that cost MORE than we thought they would!!
SeaGlass is offline   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

One road trip
Old 06-25-2022, 10:31 AM

We just have one road trip to see dd2 and the family. Thatís a five hour trip only but it will be enough for me. Especially since Iím taking gs and dh.
blueskies96 is online now   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 06-25-2022, 10:45 AM

We were going to take a big one, but with all the airline delays we didn't want to risk it. We took a short one to the beach not far from us.

Right now we're just enjoying doing little things around our community as they come up (festivals, etc...) and doing some small renovations on the house.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 06-25-2022, 02:23 PM

We used to have a big two week vacation each summer or one week early in the summer and one week later. We always did that in addition to a bunch on weekends where we went to jazz festivals to places in the Midwest a few hours away.

In 2018 it was just the 9 jazz festivals with two or three being more local, 2019 only a couple of small local concerts because we were trying to move, 2020 some small local events and finally got to a couple of festivals away from home last year.

This year we are back up to about 6 festivals with two of them being in the metro area and the rest requiring travel and hotel stays. I donít know when we will be able to take a big vacation again. Hopefully in the near future.
jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 06-26-2022, 08:35 AM

We are not this year either. We are just doing some special things here around DFW
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 06-26-2022, 08:48 AM

Not ready to deal with airports and cruise ship terminals yet. I'd love to rent a car and drive out of state for a few days, but with gas prices MUCH higher and my rent went up, etc., I don't know, probably not.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote