Help

ARCHIVE

Talking classroom

>

Miss_Teacher2

Talking classroom
Old 11-26-2009, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a great classroom, they all try hard to be better, the only problem with them it is that they are too much sociable, they talk too much, and I have try different strategies to change that but I thing I havent find the correct solution. I would appreciate any suggestions. TIA!!!!!

lakergirl

Talking classroom
Old 11-27-2009, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have the same kind of class this year! I hope to hear some other ideas here. Only recently after reflecting while working on report cards can I see we have made some progress. I have begun a weekly focus. On the front board I write some social skill for us to work on for the week. A lot of them are geared toward being better listeners/quieter kids. This past week it was "listening while others are talking." One week it was "not talking out of turn." At the end of the day we will just take a minute to evaluate how we feel we did--thumbs up, thumbs sideways, or thumbs down. I will tell them what I think, and bring up specific praise with good examples. During the day sometimes I just tap the board where our focus for the week is and say "Hey!" I have so many talkers, I cannot single out one to discipline--there is a murmur of noise--so I have instituted a simple reward system for quiet transitions. If they can take their books or pencils out of their desks without talking they can earn a marble.
Good luck--sometimes my ears are tired at the end of the day! I feel your pain!

2ndgracorn

Same problem
Old 11-27-2009, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My class is talkative too!
I have a behavior chart with colors but that works better when there's one or two people talking. I seem to have lots of students talking softly when they're not supposed to be. Transitions are bad too. I've decided when I return on Monday we're reviewing the rules and then I'm starting a class reward system where the whole class can earn minutes to play an educational game or watch a movie or even get p.e. time if everyone is quiet when we transition or line up

2inspire

stoplight
Old 11-27-2009, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've found that my students seem to fair better with a visual reminder of my expectations. So, this year, I put a traffic light on the board. It's basically just three colored circles -one red, one yellow, & one green. When we are testing or I am speaking, it goes to red for total silence. If someone forgets, I simply point to the arrow. When we are working in small groups or around the room, I put it on yellow for speaking at a conversational level. The only time it goes to green is when we have indoor recess. If someone violates the expectation, I first give a reminder and the next time move that student's behavior clip. One day, I gave the warning and ended up moving several clips. Afterward, the students knew that I was serious about my expectations, and I had only to point to the arrow with my "teacher" face.
I also have a train whistle that I blow twice to signal a transition, especially if students are in centers and need a minute to clean up. They know that the whistle means voices off.

COLT2

Paper Clip Chains
Old 11-27-2009, 08:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Each group of students has a sign hanging over their team with their team number on it. I hang a paper clip on the sign and add clips for anything I want. If that team is quiet, they get a clip. If one child is quiet, that team gets a clip, etc. When the chain touches a desk, that team earns a prize. I usually give them two prizes to choose from. I bought large colored paper clips at Staples. Each team has their own color-so no one can "accidentally" add another teams clip to their chain. We start all over once we have a winner.

mreinelt

Colt2
Old 11-27-2009, 11:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Does each table have access to the clips or do you keeps them someplace safe?

nicosipp23

Procedure Practice
Old 11-28-2009, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When my room had trouble chatting, it seemed to always be during transitions. If they are talking and taking too long to transition, we go back and practice it without any voices. It really helps the students to get in the routine, so that I don't have to continually remind them. This idea comes from a book classed Concious Classroom Management by Rick Smith. I got a lot of great practical ideas from this book.

Miss_Teacher2

Thanks!!!
Old 11-28-2009, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for all your advices, I am going to follow them, and I am looking for that book nicossip!!!

COLT2

mreinelt
Old 11-28-2009, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I keep the clips in my closet. During the day I put some in my pocket so I can pull them out without disrupting the lesson. They are not allowed to touch thier chains. I threaten to take it away if they do. I only have to do this once to show that I mean business and the they leave them alone.
pmw

pmw

talking
Old 12-04-2009, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I too have a talkative class. I think one problem is that too many parents think that talking isn't that big a deal. It really is though. They are not learning when they are not listening. Others around them may not hear instructions either. Listening is a very important skill to practice for life. When talking to some friends they said their kid was good in school " all she did wrong was talk too much". They don't realize that doing this day after day is a problem. I think pointing out that talking is a problem to the students at a young age and their parents may help. If they get used to doing this year after year they are developing a really bad habit.

bostonsmom

talking
Old 12-05-2009, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Every year it seems like my team members and I complain about this issue. I'm beginning to wonder if it's part of a 7/8 yr old's development. In first grade many of the students are still trying really hard to master reading and everything that is expected of them. I feel that 2nd grade is the year to firm up all the information from 1st grade. Maybe they are more comfortable/confident in 2nd grade and therefore feel more at ease to loosen up and be more social.

I'm curious to know your thoughts. Does this seem to be more of a problem with every 2nd grade class you've encountered?

lionessmess

I can't remember what program it comes from b
Old 12-05-2009, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

but......We monitor the GUFF in our room. GUFF means nonesense.....and it can be used in many situations.

Here is what you do, if the class gets to loud, or someone says something they aren't supposed to (sometime inappropriate, a put down, something disrespectful, etc). I simply say, it sounds like there is a bit of Guff in the room. The students (they have to be trained to do this), but they raise their hand like a stop sign and they say "Please Stop". They say it towards you (so that if it is one or two students) so that they are not calling anyone out, or directing their statement towards that person. You teach them that the "please stop" is their agreement with you that they will not participate in this "GUFF". What then happens is that if they do not stop you mark a point under the word guff - written somewhere on your board. You can set different goals for your class, and gradually bring them down, but we are to the point where we shoot for not having any GUFF the entire week!

kathismith

Old 12-13-2009, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I use a color chart for behavior which helps with individual talking, but to keep my whole class quiet during transitions I use a group reward incentive. My students sit in groups of 4 or 5 and when a group is ready and quiet (appropriate books out or desks cleared depending on what we are doing) one person from the group is selected to put a stuffed animal in the middle of their desks. I brought in all of my old stuffed animals and any animal donations from friends and have a shelf filled animals. (The hardest part is washing them or putting them in my dryer on high heat to keep then clean) My students LOVE this and are always trying to help each other because they love earning an animal for their group. The animal is removed if the group is too distracted by the animal or begins to talk, but for the most part the groups are really good because they love having new "friend" in their group. All of the other group incentives were too much work with marble, points, tickets...etc. The animals are easy and quick. Hope this helps!

I should also mention that part of my color behavior chart includes removing people from their groups for talking if they are put on RED. They are removed from their goup for three days. If they are quiet for three days they can go back into their group.

Miss_Teacher2

I mean how do you manage
Old 12-16-2009, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

to have this incredible ideas, I am shock, I am so grateful proteacher exists you get great advices here. I will start from zero on this manner when we come back from Christmas holidays... Thanks!!!