Help

Daily 5

Daily 3 Math with EDM

>

Chocchip

Daily 3 Math with EDM
Old 02-17-2010, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi!! I am trying to figure out how to manage guided/Daily 3 math groups using EDM in first grade. Today's lesson had :

math message, math practice,

Teaching the Lesson: a dice game with journal pg.
introduce +/- fact table,
play addition top-it

Ongoing Learning: play the difference game
math boxes

I don't know how to get all that done with our 60 mins. much less to form groups. If you have an idea of how to help out, I'd really appreciate it!!! Even if you have a lesson format that you follow for each lesson, I'd love to see that. Thank you so much in advance!

Karen

tammyr

this is what I do...
Old 02-17-2010, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

in second grade.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf daily 3 math schedule.pdf (279.6 KB, 465 views)

bostonsmom

Tammy R
Old 02-17-2010, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Can you explain more about the Math Daily 3. What's the math boxes consist of? And are Rocket Math and EDM the math curriculum your school uses? It looks like your class is broken up into 2 groups? I really want to find a way to differentiate my math lessons, but am having a hard time. My school uses the Scott Foresman math series.

Cat woman

Old 02-17-2010, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Haven't started Daily 3 math ,yet but did start Rocket Math within the last two weeks. I am wondering when you have the groups do their Rocket Math do they just do the practice with a partner at that time and when you meet with the whole group wrap up do the 1 minute test? Also, how do you determine the blue and green group--I am guessing pretesting before each unit...

Thanks for the visual!

Peppermint Pa

math boxes??
Old 02-17-2010, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What is a math box?

MrsWatson

Daily Math
Old 02-17-2010, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach 4th, so I'm not sure how much my Daily 5 Math schedule would help you (thought I am happy to share if you are interested). A general comment that I wanted to make, though, is that I think that Daily Math has given me time to do more of the activities suggested in EDM. I get only 45 minutes for math. Before I started Math Rotations (our term for Daily 5 Math) I did a warm-up (10 minutes), taught a whole group lesson (20 minutes), and assigned a study link (15 minutes) on most days. On Fridays we would take timed fact tests and try to play games from the series. Now I teach a lesson every other day and during that 2 day cycle my kids are able to do a warm-up or take a timed test, do fact practice (we use Fasttmath, not Rocket Math), play a partner game from the series, complete math boxes and/or other independent practice/reinforcement of the skill, and participate in 1 or 2 sessions with me (whole group and/or small group).

MrsWatson

Math Box
Old 02-17-2010, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

A math box is the Everyday Math name for a mixed practice page in the workbook. The page is divided into approximately 6 "boxes" and each box works on a different skill.

meetingmac

Old 02-17-2010, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

tammyr~ I love your schedule...it follows very closely with what I'm doing as well. i'm curious as to how you group your kiddos and what you do for the graph?? Thanks so much for the inspiration

cub005

Old 02-17-2010, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I will start a new thread if needed, however, all of this talk has me asking for help. I have just thrown the idea around for Daily 3 math in my class. Does anyone have an idea of how to go about this: I labeled it Thrilling Three--trying to go along with my fabulous 4(for the daily 5) Math with someone, math by yourself, write about math. My write about math will have them writing story problems out, switching with partners, (showing their work etc...) . My problem is I can do the mini-lesson I just don't know how to go about doing the next steps. It seems like I can't get organized enough to be able to get materials and things for the three things. Any suggestions? I don't do the EDM, I do envisions, however, I think in some round about way I am asking the same thing that Chocchip is asking. I know this sounds confusing, however, I will be very thankful if you guys can offer me any suggestions.

gingerg49

Here's What I Do
Old 02-18-2010, 03:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have 3 rotations each day. One rotation is meeting with me. I don't do a whole group mini lesson, I teach the lesson in my small group. A second group has partners working on a problem of the day and writing a 3-4 sentence explanation on how they solved the problem. If they finish they practice multiplication/division facts with their partner. My 3rd rotation is Accelerated Math. This reviews old skills. My rotations last 20 minutes and we go over the problem of the day at the end of our math time. I do like it and they seem to be understanding the skills better. We did long division with minimal difficulty and now we are working on equivalent fractions and I don't feel the stress I felt doing the same skills last year. I am taking things a bit slower on some skills and I am supposed to be using Envision but our school system said we had to follow the sequence but we did not have to use the book exactly, so I follow the skills but supplement as I see fit. Like 4th grade Topic 10 was too many fraction skills one after another. I am taking it slower so they really understand the concepts. Our test is heavy on fractions at the end of the year. I hope this helps.

Ginger

tammyr

Great thread
Old 02-18-2010, 04:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

You may want to check out this thread about D3 math...lots of great ideas!
http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=136682

In response to questions:
-Yes kids practice rocket math during independent time, then we test together at the end.
-Graph of the day is different each quarter. I start the year by having kids complete a graph with their picture magnets (great idea from the sisters!), second quarter we do more complex graphs as well as other whole group practice skills (time, arrays, fractions, etc.), this quarter we are focussing on daily word problems.
-EDM is Everyday Math (McGraw-Hill)
-Rocket math is "Mastering math fact families" http://www.oci-sems.com/Products/Pro...0Answer%20Keys
-I agree with Mrs. Watson wholeheartedly about time. I feel like I get so much more covered this way. I don't waste time teaching kids things they already know and I can target specific student problems and address them on the spot because my groups are so small. Just as with Daily 5, you have to go slow to go fast! Kids need time to practice the independent skills and expectations. I spend the first two weeks of school just doing the modeling and practice I do with Daily 5. It's hard to give up that math time, but in the end we have such a smoother year and the kids get in far more math than they would otherwise. (not to mention that they LOVE it)!

McD2

Another thread that has links....
Old 02-18-2010, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

This is another thread where an wonderful PT teacher posted lots of links to previous math threads.

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=218251

I have been doing my version since about last October or so. Really like it. But I have been using EDM for 5+ years now, so I am at the point that I can alter the lesson, put things in, take things out, make it less wordy and work for my class in a shorter amount of time. I also don't commit to doing EVERY journal page. If my kids don't need it, I skip it. Pre-testing the class has made this possible.

Also, there are some lessons, like for data collection where you need to whole class together, so the small groups don't make sense.

My board is list of games (with someone or by themselves) which allows me to control the activities kids do. If a game it too easy, it comes off the board. Those that need more challenges are instructed to do only certain games from the board not easier. I don't use the board to feature strategies. It is a management tool and a tool to help kids be independent while I have groups.

Rocket Math is awesome! I started that in early December and my first group of second graders are on their last level of Addition! They are so excited! Now, I have other students who are only on the third or fourth level. Beauty of the program is kids can work at their own pace, and work together in the exact same structure. It's great! I used the D5 routine to build independent practice. When their "coach" (partner) thinks they are ready for a test, they sign up on the whiteboard. I (or a parent volunteer) test groups of kids at the end of rotation to see if they are ready to move on.

Looking forward to starting all of this in September next year!!!

Dan

rocket math
Old 02-19-2010, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'd appreciate more info. on Rocket Math. I see from the link that it is a supplemental program for math fact families. Is it paper -pencil? An example of an activity would be...
Thanks so much!

tammyr

rocket math
Old 02-20-2010, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Rocket math is Mastering Math Facts....I just use the term "rocket math" because of the rocket that the kids color in (although now that I have switched from traditional rocket math to math fact families-same company-I should probably name is race track math!)

I have 1/2 size folders (file folders folded over on the bottom to create a 2 pocket folder that is smaller than a normal size 2 pocket folder). There is a folder for each fact family set (numbered 1-42). Only 1 new fact family is introduced at each level and is combined with problems from previous levels. The rocket math practice pages (1/2 sheets) are kept in the left hand side the test sheets (1/2 sheets) are in the right. Students are assigned a partner. I have laminated answer keys for the students to check as their partner practices. The kids practice for 5 minutes at the start of daily 3 time with their partner. At the end of math class I do a 1 minute timing for the whole class and kids grade the tests with their same partner (once again laminated answer keys). Kids work through the levels on their own pace. I spend a lot of time the first two weeks teaching independence for this so that I don't have to spend any of my time reminding kids to work quietly, on task, etc.

Dan

THanks
Old 02-20-2010, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Thanks, Tammy, for the detailed description. Sounds good: each child at their own level, but can be tested at once.

McD2

A surprise!!!
Old 02-21-2010, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

One of the things I noticed last fall, about doing a D5 approach to math, was that I was moving through the EDM book more slowly. I anticipated going more quickly, and was surprised that we were not on the pace that we were last year.

We are moving on to some new content area units and I pulled out my plan book from last year to get some information on how we started last year and SURPRISE! we are now a whole unit ahead of last year! WOW!

Now, a disclaimer... we just started the new EDM edition this year, so the units may not match up exactly, but I was encouraged. "Going slow to go fast" is paying off!!!

bostonsmom

TammyR
Old 02-21-2010, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Seeing as how you have tried both Mastering Math Facts and Mastering Fact Families- Is there much difference between the two? I teach 2nd gr. and am considering purchasing this program. Looking for suggestions.

tammyr

Answer
Old 02-21-2010, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I prefer the mastering math fact families. The traditional way, some kids don't get very far into subtraction before the end of the year. I like for the kids to see the connection between addition and subtraction facts. It also lines up much better with everyday math which is what I use.