Help

The VENT

would you say something??

>

Kel. my Belle

would you say something??
Old 08-06-2010, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

for the last four years I have had the back to school bash at my house..I am a classroom teacher. I enjoy having it and since I am centrally located it is convenient for most everyone.

This year my Principal never mentioned that he would like to have it at my house, so I assumed he had made other plans. We have a new Asst. Prin and I thought it might be at her house.

Well, yesterday I got my welcome back letter in the mail and it is scheduled for next Thursday at MY house...he never called to run the date by me or anything...

Would you say something or let it go??

MollyJ.

I would say something...
Old 08-06-2010, 04:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If it is okay for you this year, say you're happy to host again, but please check the date next time before the invites are sent. I'd play it like you just don't want any problems.

uoducks

Being assertive
Old 08-06-2010, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

and saying something would be a good thing provided it's done respectfully - like the other poster said.

Brian

senseigold

Old 08-06-2010, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you have a good relationship with your principal (someone you can joke with) you can rsvp and tell him that you won't be able to make it to the party because you will be out of town or are having another party

ajhbanana2

say something!
Old 08-06-2010, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Be respectful, but definitely stand up for yourself and say something about how it would have been nice to be included in the planning of an event taking place at your house.

If the date and time don't work for your family, I would be sure to say something about how sorry you are that he did not confirm the details with you and how you would be willing to help him notify everyone of the change in place/date/time.

Hideeho

Old 08-06-2010, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sure, respectfully say something.

I bet the principal will be surprised. He may be surprised because in his mind, having the back to school bash at your house may seem like a tradition of sorts. He may think that you would be hurt not to have it at your house. Even so, running the date by you should have been done, tradition or not.

Have the party, enjoy your coworkers and a stronger relationship with your principal for saying something that may be a little difficult to say.

Yowza

Yowza

Unbelievable!
Old 08-06-2010, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I had to run to the other room to tell this one to my hubby! Incredible!

Even "traditions" aren't assumed to this extent!
Even if you're able to do it and are happy to do it- and are going to do it.. You should let him know no arrangements were made. Wow, just wow!

Lady Di

Unvelievable!
Old 08-06-2010, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think you need to say something, so that this doesn't happen in the future. It really irks me when people are so inconsiderate! Grrrr!

Kel. my Belle

Old 08-06-2010, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks for all of the good ideas and support.

I did see My principal up at school today and I started the conversation with details about what the food budget would be (I have always bought the food and been reimbursed) and at the end of the conversation I casually mentioned that it was lucky that My DH and I were going to be in town that day, and how in the future he might want to let me know the date he has in mind ahead of time to ensure it works for me...
He got really embarrassed (in a laughing, good kind of way) and apologized and said he really thought we had talked about it last week (truth was he had talked to the asst Prin)...so it's all good...well except I now have seven days to get my classroom ready for the beginning of school and 5 days to get my house ready for the back to school bash...

but hey, we are teachers and we can do anything right??

apple annie

That's what I thought - LOL
Old 08-06-2010, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

First thing I thought was communication breakdown, that he probably gave the secretary a tentative date and then thought he had run it by you or something along that line. NOBODY could really be that presumptuous on purpose.... could they?

skmusicgirl

I'm glad you spoke up
Old 08-06-2010, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

but more importantly, I'm glad it was an innocent mistake!
Good luck! I would say don't worry so much about the house and focus on the classroom - the teachers will understand (however, knowing me, I wouldn't be able to)