Do you decorate your room with a theme? Why or why not? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Do you decorate your room with a theme? Why or why not?

>

parker2nd

Do you decorate your room with a theme? Why or why not?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you or other teachers on your team decorate your
classroom with a theme? If so, please share tips here for
how you make it successful!

I am feeling lame right now because I was at Lakeshore
today to pick up a few bulletin board borders and there
were soooo many cute things.

I really am not able to spend much right now. But I felt
envious when I saw some of the other teachers loading up
their carts with cute things that all matched. Monkey
themes, "wild about learning" with jungle animals, etc.
etc.

One teacher next to me got the "rocketing into XX grade"
bulletin board set, with monster bulletin board borders
which she said would pass for space aliens. I thought that
was a cute idea.

I have never pulled this off but I would love to have a
really cute room. There have been a couple of teachers at
my school in recent years who just did amazing jobs
decorating their rooms with tropical themes, monkey themes,
bug themes... they were just so darned cute.

I was wondering what anyone thinks. Is it worth the trouble
(and let's face it, the money) or is it better just to
focus on keeping things neat, clean, in order etc.?

Tcupteacher

themed room
Old 08-10-2010, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do a theme every year. Our whole grade level does the same theme. We've done an Army theme, Superhero, Jungle, Pirate, Cowboy and a Mystery theme.

I find it very motivating for me and fun for the kids. We focus everything around it. Bulletin boards, names of the jobs, classroom name, classroom motto.

I really like it and I think you can spend as little or as much as you want on it. If you pick a theme and stick with it year to year it's a little easier to justify the money.

Good luck. Hope you find something fun!!!

xjacqstarx

Old 08-10-2010, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would like to one day...but I do not have the money to buy it! :/ I have a mixture of decorations. I think that if you run an organized, managed classroom, it doesn't matter if you have a theme or not.

Kel. my Belle

I do not do a theme..
Old 08-10-2010, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I make sure my room is neat and friendly, I try to keep things in the same primary color palette, but that is it. That doesn't mean my room is cold or institutional...on the contrary I think it is very colorful and cozy. I do not have spare wall space for cutesy things or spare money.
And this is probably not going to be a popular idea, but in my room if it doesn't have meaning and purpose it doesn't go on the walls.
I do put out a welcome banner on the wall outside of my room at the start of school with all of my students names on it. but after that the hallway is used to display students work...

catsandquilts

Until last year
Old 08-10-2010, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I didn't have a theme. I never saw a reason for buying all the stuff or going to all the trouble. I bought and hung things that were useful or because I liked them. Then one year I bought a Dr. Seuss poster. Year before last I bought a Dr. Seuss bulletin board set. Last year I bought several more Dr. Seuss things, and realized I had a themed room. It sort of snuck up on me. If it hadn't happened accidently, I still would be themeless.

Fern

nope
Old 08-10-2010, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't - I've never even heard of doing a whole-room theme until I came to PT. They look nice, but I really try to keep my decor simple - eye-pleasing colors and such. I think it can look very busy very fast.

multigrade

Old 08-10-2010, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
I make sure my room is neat and friendly, I try to keep things in the same primary color palette, but that is it.
I'm this way, too. I haven't considered a theme, other than being colorful. It costs so much money. I'm sure I could do a theme by using an overhead and making everything (which is in my nature to do!) but not for this. The idea actually overwhelms me. I've read of others on this board looking for ___ to match their theme. Too much to think about.

Also, I think I'd get tired of monkeys, cowboys, etc.

OhioTeach

No Theme, but like the idea
Old 08-10-2010, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have never heard of a themed room until I joined PT. It sounds like a good idea, but I think I will continue with a bright, neat, colorful room. Goodluck to those that use a theme, if I was younger, I would think more about it.
Peace,
OhioTeach
http://www.mrforsythe.blogspot.com/

cdorey13

LOVE a theme!
Old 08-10-2010, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I do a theme every year! But that doesn't mean a NEW theme every year. I did frogs for 4 years, then moved to 6th grade and felt frogs were too little so I did Hawaiian. This year I'm back in primary and am tired of frogs so I went with a safari theme. I think it is completely a personal opinion. I LOVE when everything is matchy matchy. I'm also very type A and a little obsessive, I am very aware of that! I don't do a bunch of cutsey things all year long, just my room to start the year, if that makes sense. I am VERY academically focused teacher and I think it is possible to have a themed room and be a great teacher. Having a themed room all set, helps me get excited to start school again. We all need motivation! Whatever works! : )

Mrs. Hos

Kind of
Old 08-10-2010, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Most of my room is polka dots, mainly just because I LOVE polka dots but my husband won't let me decorate with them at home My co-worker does an Under the Sea theme but neither of us are over the top with them and not everything matches the theme.

jajohns

former theme teacher
Old 08-10-2010, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

When I first started out teaching kindergarten, each teacher had a theme, or mascot. I spent hours upon hours making "stuff" with "the cat in the hat" or "little critter." Sixteen years later, I've learned that it's more important for wall "decor" to be meaningful than cute. I start the year with no pre-made posters, decorations, etc, with the exception of the letters on my word wall. All the other signs or titles (CAFE board, calendar, etc) are made using word with bold, black letters and black frames. I use the walls and bulletin boards to display our learning through the year. Students must be part of creating and placing items on display in order for their learning to be anchored to those things. I learned from the Sisters that all those different colored boards and borders distract from the learning and create visual noise. I've gone to one color background paper and black border for all my boards. I love it, and everyone who comes into my room comments on how calm and clean it looks. I also have lots of lamps, plants, and seating options (pillows, benches, beanbag, rocking chairs), so the room has a comfortable, homey feel. My suggestion would be to spend more time thinking and planning for instruction than making decorations. It took me a long time to figure that out!!

BeeHappy

To theme or not to theme....
Old 08-10-2010, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I don't decorate my room in a theme, but I have a main theme for my classroom. I started using it last year mainly because I wanted our classroom to have a connection to a nature project/environmental project. I chose honey bees because of the puzzling mystery beekeepers were experiencing and I wanted my kids to connect to helping solve a problem. We had class discussions and kids could bring pennies in to contribute to the scientific research to help save the honey bees. We graphed how many honey bees we saw during the year, counted the pennies, etc.

I also needed some sort of theme for my 4 group tables. I came up with bees that live in certain areas: The Orchard Bees [Red Table], The Stream Bees [Blue Table], The Garden Bees [Yellow Table], and The Meadow Bees [Green Table].

Now I am going further into the theme because the analogies all work for my classroom rules: 'Bee' kind. 'Bee' safe. 'Bee' respectful. 'Bee' responsible. [And keep your dear teacher happy.] It also works with EVERYTHING else: 'Bee' a leader. 'Bee' a reader...and of course our BEE Folders and our 'Bee-havior charts'.

I don't spend a great deal of money on buying bee things. I did get Really Good Stuff's bee-havior chart, but I needed one and would've gotten something else if it didn't fit with my theme. I've also ordered quite a bit of stuff from Vista Print 'free' this year - you pay the shipping most of the time. They do have a bee theme so I chose it, but you could choose anything. I'm loving Vista Print as in the long run, I think it will unify my classroom look, which to me is more important than having everything be a theme.

I plan to have other mini-themes this year to introduce concepts and boost vocabulary while teaching the high interest themes. We'll have mini-word walls, centers in literacy/math/writing/science, etc. around these mini-themes.

Hope this helps as to why I use a theme and lets you know that you can still have one and do it on the cheap. Does your school have a die-cut machine? If so, you and the kids can make most of your decor in any theme you want. Kid art is better than alot of the pre-printed stuff we can buy anyway.

Get creative, see things for different purposes, shop wisely - the Dollar Tree has quite a bit of teacher stuff with themes, thrift stores, etc. Mostly, like someone else said: focus on curriculum and an engaging interactive classroom that you all feel comfortable within.

BeeHappy

Angel1977

Dolphins
Old 08-10-2010, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

When I first came to my school I had to pick an animal for the theme of the year. I chose dolphins because they are like children-smart, like to play, and live in groups. I really got into it because it teaches the children how to be part of a community. I teach the kids about dolphins for the first month. It is amazing how a community is formed because of this theme. The kids love it and become "dolphin experts"! I decorate my room with under the sea theme with blues and greens for backgrounds and borders. I like the calm colors.

Good luck!

HBteach

No theme
Old 08-10-2010, 09:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Too expensive... this year especiall...I'm broke!

Want my walls to have academic information. Besides I have very little places to put posters, etc,

readerleader

theme
Old 08-11-2010, 02:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Everyone likes their room to look nice, but is a theme worth the time and expense involved? I don't think so. Put that effort into your instruction. The kids will be better off. I am not criticizing anyone. If you want a theme, so be it, but some of our cutsy teachers are considered "fluff" teachers. All looks, but nothing to back it up. Again, please don't take offense if this is not you.

Txteach13

Old 08-11-2010, 04:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Last year was the first year I didn't do a theme. After doing some reading, I think I had become a little carried away. My room is now neat, with basic colors. The theme rooms are very cute, but it can be expensive. I have used the extra money to buy some things I really wanted for my classroom that enhance student learning better than my theme ever did!

tweet

theme
Old 08-11-2010, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Was "shamed" into doing a semi-theme this year because all my teammates were doing one. But, we have sort of paired off, two of us are not that into it, mainly doing the outside hallway. The other two go "whole hog" inside and out with decor, bulletin boards, curtains, rugs, etc. My theme is mainly outside and the name plates for their desks. I like things uncluttered--too much pattern makes me crazy. I don't even like the "pattern" of baskets, prefer solid bins, etc. in my "chosen" colors of light blue and yellow with lime green accents (white walls).

hlkk

Old 08-11-2010, 05:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I'm a bit confused at some of the comments on this post. I'm wondering why some of you are stating that you focus on academics, not themes. Why can't you have both? I'm playing Devil's Advocate here. I've had a semi-theme, no theme, and a full-on theme, but a theme in no way reflects my professionalism or my commitment to teach the standards. Having a theme does motivate you in the area of getting back into your room after summer break. It gives me something to look forward to when I go to Wal-Mart or to the teacher store. Now, I know money is tight for most of us, but you can still decorate using die-cuts and the like. This post reminds me of high school girls being jealous of the drop-dead gorgeous girl and standing back and saying, "I just don't have time for all of that." Either way, theme or not, we are teachers that need to support each other.

multigrade

Old 08-11-2010, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I hope my response earlier didn't imply that I think teachers with themes didn't really teach. That's NOT my opinion!

That said, I took over a class during it's 2nd quarter. THAT teacher wasn't a TEACHER. She was terrible, but that's another thread. I had to dismantle her room and rebuild it, both academically and physically. So, my knee-jerk reaction to themes isn't the best (she's the only one in the school who ever overdid it), but I don't consider themed classrooms/teachers to be less academic, once I'm reminded that THAT teacher is gone and others have come.

I'm glad there are those of you who have the energy and strength to do active themes. It really does overwhelm me. I've found that the average teacher on PT is the cream of the crop. Nothing to criticize.

DaisyBear

I did not start with one
Old 08-11-2010, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I just created a title for my door one year that said "Mrs. Crowder's Busy Bees" and made little bees with my kids' names on them. It was just a welcoming thing for the first few weeks. Well, as time went on I became the "bee" teacher and was given nice things that were bee/garden themed by my mom, coworkers, etc. So slowly it was nice because I had a theme and do the BEE folders, BEE website, etc. I like it because I can't make decisions well and it and it helps me choose what to buy. For example, we recently had to change what style of print we taught so I needed a new alphabet poster. There are soooo many to choose form, but for me I bought the one with bugs on it - done. No thinking involved for me because I could've spent three hours choosing one.

ritabook2

Theme
Old 08-11-2010, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I have a "semi-theme" but focus more on a color scheme than anything else. I've been doing the Daily 5 and the Sisters focus on keeping with a limited color scheme, saying that it is more calming and less distracting in the classroom. After streamlining my BBs I have to agree! I have black, aqua, and lime green in my room using backgrounds and borders in those colors to unify the room. I've gotten lots of great comments on my colors! Our first unit of the year is oceans, so I have a welcome board that is ocean themed, with fish and other sea life scattered here and there around the room, but that's it for my "theme". Of course, ocean goes with the aqua and greens nicely, so it works well. My colleagues have jungle huts, monkeys hanging from the ceiling, grass skirts on tables, etc., and that's great, but it's just not me! I think my room looks neat, organized and welcoming, too!

libragirl

Old 08-11-2010, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

No theme here - but several of my teammates love to theme their room. They have a great time with it and their rooms look cute, but then again so does mine I just think it is a personal preference!

coffeebabe

Worth it...
Old 08-11-2010, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I teach with a theme each year. You can make many of the decorations yourself. I think the kids take ownership of the theme. Go for it.

Blue Spring

Old 08-11-2010, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I teach in a district with several older schools which need to be either remodeled or replaced. We have run two bonds hoping the community would support this endeavor, but both failed. Needless to say, after dreaming of a new school, I was pretty bummed out about facing another year in my dreary classroom. So a few of us decided to take matters into our own hands and do a little sprucing up. With our principals permission, we chose, bought, and painted our rooms. After painting, I decided to add polka dots in three different colors on a few areas of the wall. I then carried the colors of the polka dots over to paper I covered my bulletin boards with. So in a way I guess I have created more of a color theme. I'm still looking for a small rug and pillows for my reading chairs to match.
Although I've never done any type of theme before, I must admit that doing this has gotten me excited to head back to school even though it won't be in a new building. Because I loop, the word has gotten out to my students that our classroom is getting spruced up and the kids are also pretty excited to get back and see it.

GreenBunny

Old 08-11-2010, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I don't have a year long theme. Like multigrade said, I'd get tired of it pretty quickly. The only pre-made things on my walls are the alphabet, the calendar and the numbers to 10. At the beginning of the year, I put a banner across each bulletin board that says "Under construction" and when I have something to put up, I take down the banner and put up the child made things that match the unit we're doing. I have 3 bulletin boards outside my class--one for Artist of the Month (I teach my class how to do a painting in the style of one artist every month--Warhol, Mondrian, etc.), a board to showcase writing and a board that changes about every month depending on the unit we're working on.

I don't quite understand yearlong themes and I'm genuinely curious about this. Do you try to tie everything you do into the theme? What happens if you're studying something like Transportation and your theme is Monkeys or Bees or Jungle?

stretchberry

Old 08-11-2010, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Quote:
I was wondering what anyone thinks. Is it worth the trouble (and let's face it, the money) or is it better just to focus on keeping things neat, clean, in order etc.?
I think a theme looks really great if you are into that, but I don't think anyone needs to feel lame if they are not into doing a theme. If you are in the latter group, take comfort in the words of Debbie Diller, author of Spaces and Places, "If you must choose a theme, choose 'what we're learning.'"

HBteach

Old 08-11-2010, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I don't think anyone was putting down teachers who do themes. Yes, you can have a theme and still be academic. For one, I'm just not into themes. Like I said I think it's too expensive for me. I love seeing the pictures of people who have decorated their teacher's desk, have book bins all the same color, etc. etc. I'm not that creative, don't have the resources, and like I said just don't have the money.

I would love for all my baskets to be of the same colors. That really sets it off but I also don't think that is a must.

As far as supporting one another, yes, we need to and thought everyone was nice about not putting anyone down. I do not look down on teachers who have themes.

And yes, I support all teachers theme or no theme.

HBteach

Old 08-11-2010, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

This post reminds me of high school girls being jealous of the drop-dead gorgeous girl and standing back and saying, "I just don't have time for all of that."

I did not think this post was about being jealous.

pattidteach

Old 08-11-2010, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I agree with everyone. Decorations should reflect learning. Too much is crazy. However, I love when a theme is done with purpose and is everywhere. When I walk into a room I want to be able to see your theme and say, "WOW!" This year I am doing a camping/outdoors theme. I picked this because I had alot of things already. I had a tent, camping chairs and even an extra Christmas tree that I was trying to get rid of. From there, my bulletin boards had cute sayings, the $1.00 store had a bunch of things and Voila! A theme! And guess what? I am excited about my room, I can't wait for the students to see!

Random

Old 08-12-2010, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I don't have a theme, although I do try to stick to a colour palette (blues and greens mostly, with a bit of red - not by choice, but because I have some red furniture). My walls are blank before the kids come in.

While I love looking at rooms with themes, I personally prefer a "quieter" room for myself.

sonjateacher

theme
Old 08-12-2010, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I've never done a theme, and I probably won't. My color theme is turquoise and black with some white mini polka dots. The accent color that pops up here and there is lime green.

I don't put up a whole lot before the students get there. The word wall is prepped, with no words up. They go up as I teach the words. There are three blank bulletin boards. One will be to put up anchor charts as we go, one will be for student art work, one will be for the color chart that we will make together in the first weeks of school. In the hallway I have prepared the bulletin board, but it will stay blank until we put up our first artwork.

I know that if I started a theme I would go crazy with it, wanting everything to coordinate, I'd spend too much money and time, and then I'd get sick of it by the end of the year. I love change, and I wouldn't be able to keep up with themes!

But, I sure do enjoy looking at pictures of themed classrooms!

Becca4

Themes
Old 08-12-2010, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I have done a theme for about 7 or 8 years now. I just enjoy doing it, and the kids love it! I don't believe in buying a bunch of stuff that I may/may not ever use again. So I look around for things that were my kids when they were young. I use things I already have, and may purchase some simple things to add to it. I love to use fabric for bulletin boards, so when I buy some...I make sure it can be used in many ways. I make a lot of things, like my banners, center signs, etc. on my computer. My things have a more "homemade" feel than store bought feel...although I do purchase some things.

For example...
The year I did an ocean theme, I used some blue fabric that I had, made a boat from the school's large brown bb paper, made fish cutouts for names, used a small fishing pole that we have, brought in my shells...what I bought was a beachcomber hat, plastic captain's wheel, some blue tulle to make the waves, and grass table skirt.

When I did a jungle theme, I blew up a lion graphic, used animals and snakes that I already had, used brown paper to twist some vines to hang...etc.

I name my areas according to the theme, name my binders around the theme, etc. The kids love it, and I do too!

You don't have to have a theme to have a successful year...so don't feel bad if this just isn't you! It's ok either way! Good luck and have fun!