Help

The VENT

Whatever happened to...

>

critter

Whatever happened to...
Old 11-10-2010, 04:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

just going in and teaching kids?? I don't remember MY elementary teachers jumping through hoops and emphasizing testing so much. I turned out JUST FINE.

If they would just let us do 'our thing' without following scripted lessons, 'teaching' the test, etc, I think our kids would be more prepared for real life!

It makes you wanna go wait tables...

rhubarb

Old 11-10-2010, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I so hear you. I am sick and tired of the extra PD that takes me out of the classroom and then having to come back and do staff planning sessions. I am tired of all the "extra" junk in addition to zero sub time for testing.

I work on an amazing staff and we somehow pull it together in addition to all the extra. Young teachers coming out of school just assume all this is normal and ours are overwhelmed.

We just want to teach our kids!

Lady Di

We'd probably...
Old 11-10-2010, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

...make more money waiting tables!

Ben Searchin

teaching??
Old 11-10-2010, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm so deep in data analysis that I can't see straight. When will I have time to actually do anything with the data? My class periods went from 84 minutes last year to 60 minutes this year. Who's idea was it to throw so much into the language arts bucket and call it one class anyway? I want my block back!

Kel. my Belle

Preach on!!
Old 11-12-2010, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have been saying this for years!! I remember in school, if you didn't do the work you recieved a zero..I never saw any students pulled out for reteaching, parents were expected to help their children if they were struggling...now days we must teach to the student...well the real world is not going to roll over and let "Johnny" do only the parts of his job that are lined up with his learning style...We need to get back to teaching content for mastery not for testing...

Whew...thank you, I am getting off my soap box now..

9love2teach9

I will tell you what happened
Old 11-12-2010, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

we of that generation have grown up despite our "apparent" lack of a good education according to the ascenine beliefs of current educational theory.
I often ask myself, am I an uneducated, not properly developed individual because someone did not follow me around and make sure I got the lesson in all modalities, kinesthetic, visual, spatial, etc. etc.. lol
Back then we received our textbook, read the material and had to LEARN the material, no questions asked or you got an F. And if you did not get it you had better be studying at home and making sure you got it memorized.
Soap box point here: the memorization or lack thereof should I say of addition, subtraction, and mulitiplication/division facts. Why is it today's kids don't know these? I DID NOT have a choice as a child whether I was going to memorize them or not. I truly think it is because of our current educational theory of only holding the teacher accountable and we expect the teacher to FIX everything. There is no accountability on student or parent at this time.
Also I believe too much sports. Many of my students talk about sporting activities that they attend three and four nights a week. I am not against sports but school should come first. I have learned to tell my students you better be studying while you are riding in the car.
I actually had a parent tell me at Oct. conference that her child who was failing would start doing better in March because he would not have baseball practice three nights a week then. Imagine this... I thought I would fall off my chair. Oh and you won't believe this she works for our district as the director of food services.
WOW this post got me going.. sorry so long. Anyone have similar stories or beliefs?
***I am writing at this time because I am off school today for any who wonders why a teacher can be on at this time.
GoAskAnother

GoAskAnother

Old 11-12-2010, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

As you ask if you are undereducated as a teacher, I suggest you go ask those kids that are now illiterte adults who dropped out of school because it wasn't necessary to make sure that all kids left school knowing how to read, write, and do math at a functional level.

They may give you a different answer about why it is important that ALL students be educated to a functional level.

9love2teach9

Go Ask anonymous poster
Old 11-12-2010, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I believe you misunderstood my point. I did not say I did not do those things. I am just saying that we of an older generation are well educated and functioning fine in our schools without the aid of latest current educational theory.
And I believe children dropping out of school cannot be blamed on the teachers. You are making my point exactly, that parents and society are not taking their part. We, teachers, cannot fix all the woes of the declining value system in society.
From your anonymous posting I even doubt you have a clue about the classroom and how very hard we do work. But since this is a vent board I will not be disrespectful to you and I will allow you to vent without being attacked as it appears you do not understand.

Risa

Four letters
Old 11-12-2010, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

n ..... c ..... l ..... b