Help

Fourth Grade

Timed Tests

>

lilteacher148

Timed Tests
Old 09-27-2011, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have tried different timed tests over the years but cannot find a timed test that does not require massive amounts copying or filing (I have an immature class that I have to constantly stay on top of). Any suggestions on what is effective and somewhat easy to manage would be helpful!

basketball777

Old 09-27-2011, 10:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Well once you have a good amount of tests ran off(I paperclip them by level, and stack them in order, and have them in one folder altogether):

I buy a chart from Lakeshore and post it with the kids names. If the kids finish by the timer(4 mins) I collect it. The rule is if they are missing MORE than 1 row they must finish it for extra practice for homework that night. (Sometimes kids refuse to do that, so I am not rewarding bringing it back with a sticker.) Students with 1 row or less left may recycle it or do whatever the test. I then check the finished ones only quickly on my own time(I can check them in like 10 seconds!), I then put a sticker on the chart on the wall if they pass. They get 100% to pass.

When I pass out the timed tests, this is how I do it. I get the pile of tests, then stand by the sticker chart. I go through each level by looking at theblanks/stickers and call each childs name and they quickly come get the test. They will let me know if I forget them This is really my very best, easy method, and it works for me! I have perfected this since I started teaching

THe other system I used to use was staple folders along the wall, and put the different tests in there. Students check their name/stickers on the chart and would know what folder to go to. When they would pass a test, I would put the passed test on their desk so they would know to move up to the next level. However, I find my newer system better Plus I do not have wall space for that. Also, I like my new method better, because when I pass out the tests myself, I will realize when I am running low and can then save a copy to photocopy. Sometimes if I accidentally run out of one particular number, I will let the kid try a different number(very rarely happens).

stmforever

Old 09-28-2011, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I just recycle the tests unless they have completed all the problems. I made a form in google docs. to keep track of who passed what.

Teachin'4th

Self correct
Old 09-28-2011, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have the students correct their own. They keep answer keys in their math folder. This way they can see right away what problems they did wrong. I then collect and record.

LindyJo

laminating
Old 10-01-2011, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This year I tried laminating them, double sided, and using the tests in small groups. They start the timer, record their time when they finish, then check it in a small group. It gets a little loud, but they're getting faster!

teach_alaska

timed test folders
Old 10-01-2011, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Here is how I do it in my classroom. Each student has a file folder. Stapled on the left inside section is a page where I sign off as they pass each test. Stapled to the right side is a piece of transparency (stapled only at the top). The timed test copy is under the transparency and has the answer key printed on the back. Students use a dry erase marker to complete the test and then check their own. If they scored 100% they turn it in, if not they clean it and put it in their desk. I have a class set of each test and never have to run any more copies. I only have to check a handful of tests each day. I have used the same folders for several years. My teaching partner has her students use vis-a-vis markers and she has a cleaning system for that, but I prefer the dry erase.

lynn6

Timed tests
Old 10-02-2011, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I just moved from 3rd grade to 4th grade and am wondering how long you give your students to complete the timed tests? The test that I have used in the past is 50 problems. I'm not sure what an appropriate amount of time is for 4th graders to complete 50 problems. Any advice would be appreciated!

Starrysky - I really like the way you manage your tests!

TEACHERLVNV

time
Old 10-02-2011, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I gave my 3rd graders 5 mins to complete 100 problem, only because my principal's benchmark test had 100 problems. When I moved to 4th and eventually 5th I kept the 100 problems and reduced the time gradually to 1 minute. I must admit the children rose to the challenge.

My system is almost the same as Starrysky's, the difference being any missed /incomplete problem is to be homework.

lynn6

teacherlvnv
Old 10-03-2011, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks for the response! I really like the idea of making the incomplete problems become homework.

MissyDee

Old 10-15-2011, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

To save paper at our school we have 3 prong folders with a sheet protector in them. You just slide the new timed test in them and the students use their white board marker to take the test.