Help

Third Grade

Multiplication

>

Whyreinvent

Multiplication
Old 05-31-2014, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone care to share ideas, games etc. they like for teaching multiplication? I'm on the hunt for new ideas for next school year.

Lakeside

Old 05-31-2014, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My favorite was one I actually did over the summer with my own son when he was that age - multiplication bingo. You take a blank bingo grid and write silly things at the bottom of a few of the squares. Mine were things like ice cream break, tell a joke, take one chip from your opponent, etc. But you could modify them for school - stand up behind your desk for the rest of the round, permission to wear your hat in class, add one minute to recess, etc.

Make a lot of photocopies, and have the kids fill in their own card from a multiplication chart (maybe a new card each week). I think it helps them in learning factors when they're noticing that there are far more ways to get certain answers than others, and trying to put those numbers in the fun spots.

To play, you pick two numbers and have the players multiply the results and cover the answer. I used to roll 12-sided dice, but you can draw playing cards, or I bet there is even a smartboard app that would select for you.

Lakeside

Old 05-31-2014, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

One more - find the old school house rock videos if you can, and play them during snack time, pack-up time, etc.

RetiredKat

songs
Old 05-31-2014, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Type in the PT search window "multiplication motivation." I've posted several times about this CD. IMO it is truly the best, easiest, most fun, and effective way to learn the facts even though it's "just" skip counting. Over the years I tried many different ways but this worked the best for my students. Of course we used many other strategies but being able to quickly skip count made learning the tables much less intimidating.

When former students come back to visit those songs are what they remember most.

Bingo is a great way to reinforce the facts. Give the students blank boards, call out the products for them to write in random order. You can also cut and paste a blank board inside a seasonal shape. It is a great activity for class parties. It helps control the noise level at least while you are calling out the facts!

TaffyFL

Dilemma
Old 05-31-2014, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I need to come up with a way to motivate those who don't want to learn their facts that doesn't embarrass those who can't learn their facts. I teach an inclusion third grade and some gen ed students just refused to memorize their facts. I saw the little ice cream scoop idea but was afraid it would embarrass the two kids who couldn't even skip count by fives. Is there a balance you've found between motivating and embarrassing the students?

RetiredKat

Taffy
Old 05-31-2014, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

TaffyFL, please consider the cd I just posted about. Melody House is the publisher and they have a website. The reason I feel so strongly that this was by far the best purchase I ever made for school is that each song is a different style of music. So if a child is trying to find a product he/she just needs to remember the tune of one of the factors. The tune is what makes it easier to remember.

Even the years when we were not supposed to introduce multiplication until January I always began within the first week with the songs. If your children are getting antsy turn on music and get an extra practice session in. There were times when I let the children know that after recess we would have a competition to see which team did the best job singing. They were usually clever enough to use some of their recess time to practice.

TaffyFL

Definitely
Old 05-31-2014, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I will look for it. Thanks!

RetiredKat

Taffy 2
Old 05-31-2014, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I really don't think you'll be disappointed. If each child has a multiplication chart with the factors across the top and down the side that is all they need to learn the songs.

Another advantage to learning the songs is when you begin division. For example if the problem is 306 = they just sing (in their heads, of course) the 6 song until they reach 30

BTW by singing I mean that they only sing the multiples not the other words in each song.

Another way to practice is "I have __ , who has __?" To encourage teamwork each time the group takes less time than the time before they earn a reward, maybe 5 extra minutes of recess.

If you don't already use Teachers Pay Teachers check out their site. After entering "multiplication" in the search window go to the left side and click on "free". You've gotta love "free"!

Last edited by RetiredKat; 06-01-2014 at 04:43 AM..

jelvenko

TaffyFL:
Old 06-05-2014, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

What I use is a multiplication sundae! I give the kids a date that I want them to know their facts by. Then I give them a sheet with the pieces of an ice cream sundae printed on it with different multiplication sets on each one. The goal is to earn as many pieces of the sundae as possible by the date given. The reward is an ice cream party on the day of the deadline and what the students get for the sundae is determined by what they earned by learning multiplication facts.

This works GREAT as a motivation because the sundaes get posted on the classroom wall so they can visually see their progress. I will admit, there were a couple of kids who only earned a bowl and spoon (x2 and x3 facts) but when they saw that everyone else was getting ice cream they became determined to learn the rest of the multiplication facts. They didn't get ice cream for it, but missing out did motivate them. The only major stipulation is that they are to earn the pieces in order. So they have to go progressively: x2 facts (bowl), x3 facts (spoon), x4 (scoop of ice cream), etc. That way I don't get kids who get a bowl full of chocolate syrup because they only learned the x5 facts. !

This is similar to what I use, but I don't put the x1 or x0 on mine. I start with x2 and go through x12. I also have mine earn all the ice cream BEFORE any toppings. Hope this helps! http://mcdn1.teacherspayteachers.com...l-575423-1.jpg

Whyreinvent

The cd has been ordered.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thanks for everyone's good ideas. I'm going to try something like the sundae. I have ordered the cd and I'm getting the Schoolhouse rock dvds from the library to check them out. I like the bingo idea too. The kids love bingo anything.

RetiredKat

whyinvent
Old 06-06-2014, 04:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

That's great! If the children have a list of the products while they are singing and dancing you can use it as evidence of meeting the needs of children with different learning styles.

Lexis

Multiplication
Old 06-07-2014, 02:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

The school house rock are on You Tube. I show these to my students all the time and I think it really helps them learn their facts.

21teacher

Multiplication.com
Old 06-08-2014, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

This is a fun, and free, way for students to practice their facts!

mommaharding

Multiplication Monkeys
Old 06-08-2014, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I know this idea was from someone else, but it really motivates all of my third graders. I bought $1 plush monkeys with velcro hands from Dollar Tree for my students. They had a tag around their neck with name on it. Each student chose a pipe cleaner (necklace). As a student passes a test (1s, 2s, 3s, etc.) they add a pony bead to their monkeys necklace. A student must pass 1s through 12s to take the monkey home at the end of the year. I did differentiate time and length for some of my more needy students. When a student passes all 12 individual problem set tests, they advance to my old Mad Minute drills. I have a sheet with blanks with the test numbers written on them. Each day as I grade, the mastered tests are stamped on the record sheet. If all Mad Minute tests are passed (mid-spring or so at the earliest) they get to take the monkey home then and get a Division Dog!! This is so motivating. I have a similar set up for division. Works for us.

The monkeys are hanging around the room and students add their own beads and progress at their own speed. I have a tub of all of the test in file folders. At test time each day, the students see if they have passed their last test and get the form for that day's test. When the first student passes them all, the whole group is revitalized!

Last edited by mommaharding; 06-08-2014 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: typo

mommaharding

Book
Old 06-08-2014, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I also read 7x9=Trouble. In the book, the students get an ice cream cone when they complete their drills. I read this book mid-Jan/Feb. I then add the enticement, that when all students have completed their 1s through 12s (individual drills) the class will all get ice cream. Some of my students who were very advanced along in their mixed drills became coaches for my lower students. This was HUGE in their advancement. They wanted the lower ones to succeed so the class could earn ice cream. It was wonderful to see the lower students being cheered on and coached by those students. They were wonderful mentors.

mommaharding

Oswego Math
Old 06-08-2014, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I also love this website. If you google Oswego Math Magician, you will find the game for addition, subtraction, multiplication, division. We would often warm up with these drill projected while I typed in the answers they said.

mommaharding

Multiplication Moves
Old 06-08-2014, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

If you have Discovery Education, search Multiplication Moves. There are some fun songs that are skip counting in nature with fun music. I downloaded these and kept them in a folder on my desktop. When we would have a few minutes between things, I would play one and the kids would sing along. They loved them.

RetiredKat

mommaharding
Old 06-09-2014, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Quit posting info about great books. I am retired and don't need anymore! Between you and Amazon I will never get over my addiction. BTW I also ordered Fraction Trouble.

Oswego Math is a great site.

SHAUNISE

Xtramath
Old 06-11-2014, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I use xtramath. It is a free web math fluency program that helps students master addition, subtraction, multiplication and division facts. I had students use the program. At the end of this school year half of my students earned their multiplication certificate which indicates that the student was able to answer 100 multiplication facts in 3 min.

fourmonkeys

visuals & NO timed tests or arbitrary tricks
Old 06-12-2014, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Some of the best things we can do for kids is to give them a visual representation. Arrays, number lines, non-routine grouping like 6-packs of soda pop etc.
If you are concerned about multiplication facts and not just multiplication, then avoid timed tests at all costs and "tricks" that are not connected to the math. For example, one teacher I know teaches students this trick: 7x8 is 56 because 5, 6, 7, 8 (the product of 7 and 8 is found by combining the two digits preceding the factors 7 & 8 in the counting sequence, hence 5 and 6 combine to make 56). This has nothing to do with multiplication as a concept, is arbitrary at best and convoluted & arbitrary at worst, and is not something that can be generalized to other facts beyond 3x4 (i.e. 5x6 is 34 because 3, 4, 5, 6 is not true).

ArtsyFartsyII

Old 06-13-2014, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

The 7x8=56 trick is good when you know the concept of multiplication but you need a memory cue to remember some of them. It is certainly faster than trying to think 8x8=64-8=56 or 7x4=28+28=56 every time. Then there is the sing-song "6 times 8 is forty-eight!" One way to do the 12's is to think in your head "12x7... so 10x7 is 70 and 2x7 is 14 so 70+14 is 84". And the 11's have a pattern... but once you get to the double digits, the you take the number you're multiplying 11 by, spread the digits apart and put the sum in the middle. 11x16 is 176.

Really it's only if they don't understand how multiplication works that doing the little tricks doesn't help.

Weezer

Rhymes and Times
Old 06-24-2014, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

We always use this program as a supplement to our math curriculum later ion in the year. It's fun, engaging, and students really learn.