Help

Third Grade

MOVING TO 3rd from 4th

>

norareina2

MOVING TO 3rd from 4th
Old 06-10-2014, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am happy to move to 3rd (from 4th). It seems like the perfect age. I need all the tips I can get please! Do you recommend doing cafe in 3rd?
How might I start to structure this? I read all about it, but never actually did it.
I would love to know exactly HOW and WHAT I need to start.
Thanks!
Any more tips about 3rd (what I should do over summer to prep) is appreciated!
Also, do YOU team teach in 3rd? What subjects? How does it work for you.
Thanks everyone!
I love this site!

SusanTeach

third
Old 06-10-2014, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I can't help you with cafe - we don't do that.

We're going to team teach this year, possibly, but we've never done it before so I have no advice. I'm personally not looking forward to it. I hope it's better than I expect.

For prep - get your state standards or common core - whatever your district is using - and make a pacing guide if you're not provided with one. It will help you know what to teach each month. Call another 3rd grade teacher in your school and ask her over for coffee/drinks/snack and pick her brain. Every school is different, so it's always nice to hear from the local source. Plus, it's great to work together!

Go through some of the posts on this board - you'll get so much help! It's wonderful. I learn something every year, and I've taught 3rd for a while.

Enjoy 3rd!

1956BD

Been There Done That
Old 06-11-2014, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I taught fourth grade for seven years and loved the age and the curriculum. However, I was on a team with women about five years older than me and I knew the were not retiring for a while. This left me at the bottom of the seniority for the team. I knew if we did not have enough students one year I would be the one bumped. So, I asked to move to third or fifth. I was moved to third. I have taught this grade level for ten years now! I love it! And, after five years I was at the top for team seniority.

We do team teach. This year I taught LA and SS. My partner taught math, science and health. Next year I will be on a team of three. I will teach science and writing. Another team member will teach math and health. The third team member will teach reading and social studies. I personally prefer to teach all subjects at this age. I feel like I am teaching subjects and not children. But, my principal wants us teaching in departments.

Third graders will seem very young after teaching fourth. They require a great deal of modeling and encouragement to become independent learners. I often ask them who is responsible for their learning. In the beginning of the year they often answer "the teacher". I discuss and explain that I am just the facilitator, they are the ones responsible for their learning. We discuss what it takes to be a productive learner. They are anxious to be grow up so most will work hard as you guide them to become more and more independent.

The focus in reading is comprehension. They have focused on decoding and fluency in the past, so this is a big change. I like this process. I enjoy finding short chapter books that they will want to read. The plot and character development are less advanced than you find in fourth grade novels, so you may be a little bored with the literature. I like getting them to read chapter books and build that reading endurance required for longer books.

Math is all about learning to multiply and also solve word problems. Plus you spend time practicing fluency with all operations.

In writing you review how to write a good sentence and paragraph. Then you start the process of learning to write multiple paragraph essays and stories. This is very easy for some students and very difficult for others. My advise is to model, model and model some more.

Science is fun at this age. They are curious and love to learn through hands on experiences.

Social studies is liked by most of the students. They love to discuss all our topics of study. I do not like third grade SS as mush as fourth grade SS. In fourth I taught about our state. I found that very enjoyable. In third we teach community, government, economics and pioneer life.

I teach all my nonfiction reading skills with materials that cover my social studies and science content.

Good luck with your new teaching assignment.

JJbomgaars

I'm moving, too!
Old 06-17-2014, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi! I'm moving too! Message me and we can chat!

Weezer

I made this move last year
Old 06-24-2014, 05:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was moved to 4th grade after 13 years in 3rd grade, and NOW I just found out that I'm going back to 3rd grade after only one year in the 4th grade!!! WHY?????? I don't know!!! Anyway, it is a big change. I found the math much more challenging and less reviewing than in the 3rd grade. I also found that girl drama was much more prevalent than in the previous year, and I had the same students!!!
I did enjoy the social studies and science curriculum much better than 3rd. The reading material is much longer in 4th as well. It took awhile for the children to adjust, but they did!! So did I!!! Best wishes!