Help

Third Grade

Checking daily language review

>

teacherwriter

Checking daily language review
Old 06-18-2014, 01:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you check daily language review or DOL questions? A previous post mentioned putting together a packet that students did as morning work. How do you check the answers to ensure students are doing them correctly? I've found these worksheets are easy for the students to complete--they take only a few minutes--but they take forever to check if you take time to go over each question and explain the grammar or language concepts. If you collect and check without class discussion time, do the students really learn the concepts?

PrivateEyes

I don't do DOL
Old 06-18-2014, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

but I do something similar (which is homemade) We give Daily Language Review questions for morning work Monday-Thursday, with a 10 question quiz on Friday. I review the correct answers daily, but do not check individual work. Students are expected to check and correct daily along with me. The grade for the week comes from the quiz, and students who don't do the work daily don't do well on the quiz.

Here's a sample DLR.
Attached Files
File Type: docx DLR 14.docx (16.8 KB, 192 views)

PrivateEyes

Here's a sample quiz
Old 06-18-2014, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Notice that the questions are different, but mirror the questions practiced daily. Often, more than one correct answer is available. This increases the rigor, and makes sure that students are knowledgable, and not just lucky. It also mirrors our state test format, where some questions also have more than one right answer.
Attached Files
File Type: docx DLR 14 Quiz.docx (15.9 KB, 107 views)

RetiredKat

Dlr
Old 06-18-2014, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I used DLR for years. The children were responsible for checking their own answers Mon. through Thurs. One way I kept them accountable was after they had a chance to correct their work as we went over the correct answers I would pull several names, they would show me their work. If all corrections were made they would earn Dojo points or points for their team. Picking names randomly really made the children sit up and pay attention!

PrivateEyes

Nice idea!
Old 06-18-2014, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have checked randomly for completion. I like the idea of randomly checking for correction, though. I'm going to do that next year.

teachgrade3

Old 06-18-2014, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That is very nice. I might do that. Where do they keep this? I am trying to cut down on composition books and folders next year? Do you put that in an unfinished classwork folder? Thanks.

PrivateEyes

That would work...
Old 06-18-2014, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I give the students a "FISH" Binder each year. I punch holes in their reviews, and they put it in their notebooks on Monday, and it stays until the quiz. If parents want their students to "study" for their review quizzes, the reviews are available.

One of my colleagues has a notebook for morning work, which the students glue in each Monday. I think that takes up too much glue stick, and it isn't really useful to keep all the old reviews.

An unfinished work folder is as good a place as any.

RetiredKat

2 forms
Old 06-19-2014, 02:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Daily Language Review and Daily Math Review now come in 2 forms: blackline masters and consumable. Two grade levels at my school have the children pay for the consumables which cuts out a lot of work. One of the grade levels is 2nd grade which means if my former 3rd grade teammates decide to go that route the parents won't be surprised. When I think of the weekly copying and stapling I really like the new option.

Learn Today

Old 06-19-2014, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

PrivateEyes - what does "FISH" stand for? Does anyone know of a good DOL or DLR that follows the common core standards?

PBobcats4

DLR Questions/Quiz
Old 06-19-2014, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I really like this idea. Did you make the questions up yourself, or are you getting them from somewhere? We do a thing called Daily Bite and while I like it, and our langauge test scores were high, I like yours as well.

lte's mom

Old 06-19-2014, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

http://www.carsondellosa.com/cd2/Pro...orkbook/104598

I bought this for next year, but I think I like the Drops in a Bucket better.

Phyllis

Bonus Points
Old 06-20-2014, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I made my own daily language review. I called them Starters (the Brit word for appetizer) and they were on their desks when they came in the room. I used an overhead to check answers and they corrected. If they brought back the 4 Starters, corrected and signed by a parent on Friday, they got 10 points added to the test taken on Friday.

Almost every student brought them back. If parents cared enough to look at what they missed, this was a real benefit.

ConnieWI

DOL stapling
Old 06-21-2014, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My DOL materials are a half page for each day. I run Monday and Tuesday on one side of the paper, and Wednesday and Thursday on the other side of the paper. There is no stapling.

The Friday quiz is run on a separate sheet of paper. It is also a half page, so I can get two on one piece of paper and then use the papercutter to cut them in half.

Takes about three minutes per week to get them ready.

kckrzy

Old 06-22-2014, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Carson Dellosa has brand new language and math daily books that follow common core. Love them. Got them in April and finished the year with them. Can't wait to use them all year this school year.

jady_marie

Love the quiz idea
Old 06-23-2014, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I teach grade 6 and love the idea of a weekly quiz. We go over answers together in class after students complete a dol and journal entry in their class notebooks. I could add a dol quiz to see if there is carry over with our lessons. It could be added to our weekly spelling test. Thanks for sharing the idea!

Weezer

checking
Old 06-24-2014, 05:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I go over each question and students correct their own papers. However I do a mistake of the day game and I randomly check one skill on the paper and I give a ticket or reward to each person getting it correct. For example if I chose the skill placing punctuation in items in a series, I would walk around and check each paper very ;quickly for that skill. I reward immediately. Its great to watch children trying to figure out what the mistake of the day is and if they didn't get it correct they engage in conversation with someone nearby who did . They will compare and talk about their answers! Students really pay attention during the correcting process to hear what the mistake of the day is. They also remember to check their papers for this skill when it appears on doL in fuatuare days. Works for me.

RetiredKat

Weezer...
Old 06-24-2014, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

That is a brilliant idea! I wish I had thought it. What a great way to keep the children engaged!

eagertolearn

Awesome ideas
Old 06-24-2014, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

These are great ideas! I have sent them home for homework, but have been trying to figure out how to incorporate during the day. I also struggled on how to squeeze in corrections without taking up a large chuck of time. I can't wait to try out some of these ideas! Thanks!

Mominator24

Homemade DLR for sale?
Old 08-02-2014, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Hi there, would you be willing to sell the DLRs that you created? They look fantastic and I would love to use them. Thanks.

Lucy Brown

Dlr
Old 08-07-2014, 12:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I really like the DLR's as homework and the parents can see where they need help and they can check them. Is there any way we can get a copy of your set?

Thanks for sharing!!!!