Help

Third Grade

Classroom Library

>

cachilders

Classroom Library
Old 05-18-2015, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am needing some guidance on your library procedures. I have several students who never want to read during quiet reading time. It is a hassle every day. They want to hang out in the library and can never settle on a book. Of course they never meet their reading goals either. I feel like every day is a battle. Anyone else deal with this? How often do you let students go to your classroom library? How do you keep them from abusing it? Do you let them use quiet reading time to book shop? Any help with procedures would be appreciated. Thanks.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-18-2015, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm so glad someone else asked about this. I've never had as many issues as I have this year. We spend weeks on D5 procedures and good fit books. I tell them if they have good fit books they shouldn't have to go daily to no avail. It's ridiculous.

I'm interested to hear how others have solved the problem.

choppie70

Old 05-18-2015, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a schedule set up and each student gets to "book shop" one morning a week. I have 4 students a day who book shop. They keep 5 books in their book box at a time The only other time they can book shop is when they finish their snack early. They are not allowed to book shop during Read to Self time. If they have finished all of the books in their book box, they are asked to reread the book.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-18-2015, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Awesome Choppie. I may try that next year.

eliza4one

Old 05-18-2015, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with the PP. Mine don't shop during reading time.

To keep them accountable for actually reading, I have tasks they must complete. Not all mind you...(although sometimes all)...but those whom I know never want to "settle on a book". They learn pretty quickly I'm onto them.

Mean me!

cachilders

What kind of activities?
Old 05-19-2015, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would like to know what kind of activities you have them work on.

Weezer

me too!
Old 05-19-2015, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This exactly what Ido!!!

eliza4one

Old 05-19-2015, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It varies...to mix it up.

*3-2-1's
*Various other Graphic Organizers
*Letter to me about what they are reading

Nothing too exciting/in-depth. But enough to let them know I am expecting them to 1) be reading and 2) comprehending what they read (choosing just right books).

Lillybabe

Old 05-19-2015, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I read somewhere about reading responses when silent reading. It was suggested students write out a response when they abandon a book explaining the reasons. There was a form for it and everything. I believe it came from either The Book Whisper or Reading in the Wild. I can't check as the moment as both books are at school. When I have students independently read (which isn't a ton since I teach Title I) I always make sure that they have access to several books that they can read. If they finish they are asked to read them again until it is time to transition to something else. Keep in mind most my students are reading very short books so reading them many times is beneficial. This would be less practical with students reading chapter books. Often I also have other activities they can work on independently at the same time like practicing sight words or other word work activities.

teacherwriter

More questions!
Old 05-20-2015, 02:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thanks for this thread! Questions: How do you do the accountability paperwork (planners, exit slips, etc)? Are they in a notebook or copied onto separate papers? Do you change them periodically or allow children to choose what they want to do? And do you grade them or just glance and let 'em go? Also, re the book bins, what do you use, and how/where do you store them? This year's class has been the worst at flitting through books and then shopping, shopping, shopping. I'm sure it's because this year's class has the lowest reading levels. I like the idea of book bins for read-to-self time, but I need to figure out the logistics.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-20-2015, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have my kids do a reading response. I collect 5/day. They need to respond to what they have read in their journals. At the beginning of the year we brainstorm a list of topics they can use to respond (IE: Predictions, their favorite part, their favorite character, etc). They need to do their reader's response the last 5 minutes of Daily 5.

I love the idea of shopping. I'm so doing it next year. Now I just need to figure out how they're going to "check out" books. What I'm using this year isn't working.

eliza4one

Old 05-20-2015, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I teach 3rd, so this works well for me.

The letters/written responses are done in their reader's notebooks. I collect 5 per week, like a pp does.

The graphic organizers, I simply spot check. I train them early on how to complete them neatly and accurately. These are copied onto a different paper that I collect. I change them weekly...I would get bored doing the same thing time and time again. I'm sure they do, too. I also don't have them do them daily. Again...who wants to fill out a sheet every time they read a book? Kids need to, and should, learn how to read for enjoyment, too.

Not every child has to complete a response/graphic organizer every day. Some have to complete more than others, some less. It depends on each child and what they need. For those who are totally into chapter books and are solid readers, a graphic organizer may not be the best choice. A written response might be better.

Each child does have their own book bin. I store them on black bookshelves in my room. I have my kids in pods and each pod has a black bookshelf near it.

Hope this helps.

beagles2

Old 05-21-2015, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I had trouble with similar issues early in the year. I just kept choosing a stack of 5-6 books for those reluctant readers and putting books in their hands. Eventually, they would choose one and get going. I have 2 that have been identified as LD in reading and now I ask them to read for a bit then put them on Tumblebooks, so they can read along with a book on the computer.

Every day after our reading zone time (or SSR, DEAR, whatever you call it) I have students record what they read in a simple reading log (like people use for at-home reading) and then they have to write a summary of what they read in their reading notebook and choose a part to read aloud. This procedure takes about 30 minutes (20 for reading and 10 for the summary and fluency practice).

The following day, we get in groups of 3, show our group the book we read, the reading log we filled out, we read our summaries and then read the part we'd practiced aloud. It took a while for this all to become routine and for everyone to get on board, but before too long the kids really loved doing it. They looked forward to reading a good part of their book aloud and hearing what other kids were reading. Then kids started borrowing books from each other or reading books that sounded interesting that other kids had shared in group.

After groups met each day we'd come back together as a class and I'd randomly choose 3-4 students to share with the whole class. They never knew who I'd choose so they all had to be ready. They came to love being able to show off their summary or fluency in front of the whole class.

At the beginning of the year almost all my students were reading very short picture books. Now, almost everyone is reading chapter books. It's worked out great.

prinderella

Children's Reading Rights by Peggy Sharp
Old 05-30-2015, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

You should google Peggy Sharp's Children's Reading Rights and post it for your students. It states that they can try a book and dislike it, have multiple books at once etc. after seeing that my more reluctant readers were better at choosing a book and giving it a try when they knew they were going to be able to put it down if it was not a good match. This year my boys are I to,the Who Was books and the I Survived series.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-30-2015, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I posted that I'm combining the practice of allowing them to "shop" once a week and get 5 books along with Booksource (I just entered all my books in using the app). I think this combo will help alleviate the wasting time, disrespect of books (a huge issue this year), and help pick just right books. I'm so excited.