Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Protein shake newbie

>

PEPteach

Protein shake newbie
Old 06-10-2022, 05:38 PM

I have protein powder and now I need help! I have looked online, but I keep finding fancy recipes. What's the most basic, yet tasty way to make a protein shake? I have vanilla and chocolate, but would like to try the chocolate first. As far as ingredients go, I have almond milk, greek yogurt, bananas, strawberries (fresh and frozen). I don't know that the strawberries would be good in it though. What do you recommend?

PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 06-10-2022, 08:07 PM

Freeze sliced or chunked fruit of your choice. Bananas make it super creamy. Put the amount of almond milk the container calls for in the blender add the correct amount of the powder, put a handful (probably 1/2-3/4 cup, I have never measured) of the frozen fruit in and blend. Strawberries are great with chocolate. So are blueberries (the color is interesting but it tastes great). You can mix the berries with bananas or use bananas only. The chocolate is good with bananas and a spoonful of peanut or nut butter too.

Vanilla is great with pumpkin and cinnamon. Open a can of pumpkin and freeze in an ice cube tray. About 4 cubes and a dash of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice with the milk and powder is delicious. Vanilla is great with fruit too. My DH has vanilla with strawberries every morning.
Teddi9192 is online now   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 06-10-2022, 08:30 PM

I like to mix almond milk, baby spinach, frozen strawberries, and some chocolate protein powder. Sometimes i add raspberries also.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 06-11-2022, 03:29 AM

I use frozen fruit. It could be mixed fruit, strawberries, or blueberries. I add a green frozen vegetable-kale, spinach, or broccoli, a teaspoon of peanut butter, a few drops of honey, Greek yogurt, flax seed, almond milk, and the protein powder. I have left one or two ingredients out if I donít have them and itís fine. You can experiment with different items to see what you like.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 06-11-2022, 04:12 AM

It really becomes a personal preference. I realize that may not be what you are looking for

I buy organic spinach in the really large container. I rinse it well with water, spin it as dry as possible and put it on cookie sheets and freeze it. Then I bag it up and have it handy in the freezer for my smoothies. (got this idea from someone on PT)

I put a big handful in my smoothie along with half a frozen banana (my local grocery sells bags of slightly overripe bananas pretty cheap so I peel them, cut in quarters, freeze on cookie sheets, then bag them up) , along with some other frozen fruit, about 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, a good portion of water (all that frozen fruit needs a bit of help in my Vitamix) , and my protein powder.

The spinach gives it a weird color, especially when I use strawberries, but they taste delicious and I figure any way to get more leafy greens in my diet is great.

Fruit combos I like are:
banana, pineapple, and 2 Cuties
Banana, pineapple, strawberries
Banana, blueberries

These are quite thick, like a malt shake. I just try to have more of the spinach than the fruits. Again, personal preference.

I have used carrot juice with a touch of cinnamon and some Cuties and that was good, too.(along with the spinach and banana) I even toss in some shredded carrots if I have them on hand because I do like to get in as many veggies as I can in a day. To me, the spinach is mild enough that I donít even taste it.

Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 06-11-2022, 11:30 AM

Perfect, thanks everyone!
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 06-11-2022, 12:05 PM

Most of the time I have a fairly balanced diet so I am in it for the added protein (don't eat a lot of meat). I just use almond or cashew milk and water.
CatLove is online now   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

Old 06-12-2022, 05:22 AM

I use Ensure vanilla flavored for the liquid part. I don't add protein powder. I LOVE dragonfruit. Target has some bags of it. To me, it's tastes sweet yet tart. And I use a Magic Bullet mixer. You just pop some Ensure or Almond milk into the cup that comes with the blender, add the frozen fruit you want, and then stick it on top of the Bullet and it blends away. Then you can just pick it up and drink from it. I like it thick so I have to take it off and mix it with a spoon sometimes and then reblend. I consider it to be my breakfast which is why I use Ensure. And I'm old. Ensure works for me.

I agree that a banana makes it smoother.
I prefer spinach, etc. in my meals and soups.
I added some diet Cool Whip once. I didn't think it was worth it.
I don't like blackberries in it because the seeds are so big.
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote