Help

Substitute Teachers

Another high school question

>

googiebump

Another high school question
Old 11-06-2009, 05:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

OK here's a question I just thought of about taking roll in high school. I know Radsub goes to the front person in a row and asks who's absent. Others have talked of using seating charts.

The problem I have about this is: Every high school class I've done so far ( and yes, I mean EVERY single period in the few days that I've subbed HS so far) has had students on the roll that are not in that room. The kids will say "Ummm he's not even in this room!" or "I don't even know who that is!" I'm sure there's lots of switching of schedules at the HS level.

So I guess my question is...what do you do in that situation? They're not going to say Bobby's absent when they don't even know that Bobby's on the roll for that room.

Thanks,

Tammy

googiebump is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Old 11-06-2009, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I mark them absent anyway. They are not in the room, so they are absent. The office can sort it out. Yesterday there was a field trip and many of the students who were not there were on the field trip. I marked them absent and let the office sort it out. As I went over the roll, students would say "he's on the field trip" or "she's suspended" - either way, they're absent from the room for which I am taking roll. And if they are out of the room because their schedule changed the office needs to know that.
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

bulletin!
Old 11-06-2009, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The high school I sub at sends out an absentee bulletin during the afternoon. I usually check my absentees against that list. Usually I will find that they are all absent, or at In School Suspension, Out of School Suspension, field trip etc. If not, you can always get the class started on the assignment and call the office...tell them that you are missing someone and they are not on the absentee sheet.
RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

sometimes...
Old 11-06-2009, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

you just have to let the office figure out their attendence issues. We should not be spending much time on roll JMHO.

I think in those tuff rooms you could have the kids come up and sign in - watch and make sure they each only put down one name. Then later while they are working on the lesson you can take the time to mark everyone off. If someone doesn't sign in when you tell them and does it later, mark them tardy.

This is what I do for the h.s. gym classes I am in. I have 60 kids and no computer - I tell them to sign in and I leavei t for the reg. teacher to input. Key is making sure they only write one name down.

I suppose if you were crafty you could make a seating chart boxes really quick and have htem do it that way, but for me at least, unless a chart is left I really dont' worry about where kids sit. I usually don't call them by their names. I call everyone honey.

Teachermom65

Old 11-07-2009, 03:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I concur with the others...mark the missing absent. For what it's worth, I always call out the roll. You can get a lot of info by this simple task: you learn a few names; you will probably be able to figure out who can keep quiet; etc. Plus, I've tried relying on students, and they are not always right. At the end of the day, it is *you* who is responsible for being accurate...not them.

Teachermom65 is offline   Reply With Quote