Help

Substitute Teachers

Update on "am I being neurotic?"

>

Kataqueens

Update on "am I being neurotic?"
Old 11-11-2009, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The sub scheduler at the school called my house to notify me that I would not be needed tomorrow; apparently the PD the teacher was going to attend had been cancelled. He said that they might still need me, and would put a request on Smartfind Express, but if nothing else came up for tomorrow, that I should take an assignment elsewhere so as not to miss out on a day's pay. Since he brought it up, I asked him what had happened on Monday night with a job at the school coming up but being unable to take it. He said he wasn't aware of it, that the teacher probably put in for a sick day at the last minute, but that I should ALWAYS be the requested sub at the school.

Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 11-11-2009, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

see all that worry for nuthin!!!! But the sub schedule is right....try out for other schools so you don't miss out on a day of pay...don't let one bad apple keep you from working in other districts....

Have a good day today..enjoy the sunshine (whatever's leftO
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

Old 11-11-2009, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The only other school that keeps popping up is in a REALLY bad area. I spoke with my boyfriend about this, and he said that I should NEVER go to this school. However, if nothing better comes along and they pop up, I'm going to take a deep breath and go there (albeit without my technological gadgets such as my Kindle, iPod...etc)

I did my student teaching in Bed-Stuy and Fort Green, Brooklyn, but these neighborhoods pale in comparison to the one where this school is located (both Bedt-Stuy and Fort Green are on the up-and-up anyway) Are there any other NYC subs who have gone to schools in South Jamaica? This one is located RIGHT next to the South Jamaica Houses; one of the infamous NYC housing projects. I've heard of horror stories about this area, and don't want to be anywhere near it.

yoohoo

Old 11-11-2009, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

OMG!!! Jamaica!!!! welll, that's a whole new ballgame...I didn't know you subbed in the Queens area.....I grew up in Queens, Astoria to be exact...I'm no longer there now....

Look, if it means your personal safety or a job...then by all means safety comes 1st.....

Aren't there other districts you can come into? Like Elmhurst? Flushing?

Kataqueens

You're a Queens person?
Old 11-11-2009, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I sub at this one school in Astoria, it's one of those new schools, and it's all-girls. NICE area. Unfortunately, since it's so new and small, I'm rarely needed. I called up a high school i Elmhurst that I used to sub at last year, but they're backed up with reserve teachers who were unable to find jobs despite the hiring freeze on new teachers this past summer.

I'm trying to scoop up a job for tomorrow, and I'm HOPING something in a good area pops up. Elmhurst, Flushing and parts of the surrounding areas all belong to the same district. I think the school in South Jamaica is District 28, which isn't a very good district from what I've heard. Guess we'll see!

yoohoo

Old 11-11-2009, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

yeah, good luck..what about the public schools in Astoria? They seem to be always crowded with kids...when I'm down there visiting my sister and school is in session the amount of kids that stream out of the schools...YEESH!