Help

Substitute Teachers

middle school phys ed

>

Art/Eng guy

middle school phys ed
Old 11-08-2009, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I accepted a 2 day p.e. assignment for middle school. Just wondering what to expect??

Art/Eng guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rerun

Old 11-09-2009, 03:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I saw this post and I spit my coffee all over the computer. I just got done, accepting a PE job for elementary. I'm a reading and LA guy and you appear "art/eng". I took a PE job last week and loved it, so I'm doing it again, so don't despair, just go and have fun. Expect chaos though. The difference is that in a regular class, the student chaos can be disturbing, in PE you can laugh and have fun with it. It's a great change of pace. Let's you be a kid again as well. Watch the stretching though. You might not be able to get up.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

I disagree with the previous poster...
Old 11-09-2009, 03:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've subbed for gym before and the chaos DISTURBS ME!!! The kids can get crazy competitive and sometimes too aggressive for my liking. I hated gym in school...so maybe that has something to do with it...but seriously...let the kids have fun...but don't let it get too out of hand so people don't get hurt!
RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Old 11-09-2009, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What to expect:
Competition
Rowdiness
A need for more structure and order...at your discretion.
Hopefully the teacher leaves you a list of routine...do the kids sit against the wall when they come in, run a lap for warm-up, etc.

It'll be fun and different! Enjoy it!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

welllll...
Old 11-09-2009, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would not recommend ms. gym for the rookies. However, it can be a lot of fun. You have to keep tight control. Get there early to make sure things are set up and you have keys to whatever you might need. If it is coed and showers are required have another teacher help you select a student from each hour to help you monitor the locker room you can't go in.

Oh, and if it is a game where there is a fast moving ball - ie dodge ball, etc don't play w/ ms or higher unless you are a good althete and don't mind them spending the whole time trying for your head. I usually don't play w/ ms or higher if there is a good chance I will get a broken nose. lol Otherwise, enjoy them and be sure ot maintain your authority.

(P.S. watch teh doors that open to the outside as many of them like ot try to sneak out. )

Art/Eng guy

day 1 of two in ms p.e.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

and I had a blast. It was so nice to just let the kids do their own thing without having to try and quiet them. All the students, 6-8th grade, knew their routine for warm-ups, drills, and activities. The only thing I had to do was make sure no one got hurt. Tomorrow should be more of the same. I would definitely take MS P.E. again. Thanks for all of you who posted an answer to my question.
Art/Eng guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rerun

I don't like to disagree, but......
Old 11-11-2009, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

in my original post, I don't think I said anything about letting anyone get out of hand. If someone was uncomfortable with gym when they were a kid, then I suspect gym is not the place to be now. Gym is for exercise and not aerobics, but letting off a little steam, so they get exercise and will be able to calm down and focus for academics afterward. A lot a great things about life and discipline can be learned in the gym. Come on, be a kid yourself. Maybe, just maybe you'll learn about that little kid inside yourself is still there and ready to have fun. Plus, when the kids see you again in the classroom, I'll guarantee, the kids will treat you differently and likely with a little more respect (without that target on your back). Buy a $4.00 whistle.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote