Substitute Teachers

Did I do the right thing?

>

metoo

metoo

Did I do the right thing?
Old 11-12-2009, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm hiding my ID because of, well, you know... I subbed yesterday in middle school, in a location I hadn't been in before. Classroom next door is occupied by a full-time teacher who's been there a few years. My kids did great, and everything went well. However, in early afternoon, the classroom next door suddenly got really noisy. We could hear lots of thumps and whacks on the wall dividing my room and that one, as if somebody was throwing things or hitting or something. And then the teacher started yelling. My students looked up and around, but things settled down, so all was OK. In the last class of the day, things got worse next door--more thumps and whacks, and suddenly the teacher was absolutely screaming at the students to stop and "I don't want to see that again" and so on. It sounded if the teacher was right in the kids' faces, like a drill sergeant. Yikes! My kids' eyes got really wide, and they sat straight up and looked really worried. Obviously, this wasn't typical. I made the snap decision to stay out of it. I lowered my voice and said, "Keep it calm, guys," and walked over to shut the door to my classroom. (I hadn't even bothered to close it before because the kids were doing so well.) Closing the door cut out much of the commotion next door, but not all of it, and it took a couple of minutes before things quieted down. I know it's hard for kids to hold onto their concentration and behavior after lunch--frankly, I want to check out too! But this sounded like it was way over the top for both teacher and students. Should I have gone over there and tried to help? I figured no, that it would be embarrassing and presumptious and also would have left my class unattended, but I wondered what you all would have done. Ideas?

teach smiles

Old 11-12-2009, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think you did the right thing by minding your own business. I'm glad you were able to keep your own class in control even though next door's was chaos! You made a good choice with keeping your own class calm and closing the door to drain out some of the noise.

The teacher probably would have been embarrassed if you had come over, plus you don't want to leave your own class unattended. You'd be responsible if something did happen when you stepped out of the room for a moment.

Maybe you would have done a better job with the class next door if you were subbing for them that day.
teach smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

oh man...
Old 11-12-2009, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think you did the right thing. As a sub I feel we HAVE to stay with our room. If i had been a regular teacher in that room then yeah, I'd probably have gone over. OR if I thought the teacher's yells sounded like he/she was in trouble (physically) I would go. I'd certainly make a note of that teachers name and NEVER sub in that room. Wouldn't it be interesting for the parents to see what was going on by their kids and by the teachers?

Smiling Sub

Yes...
Old 11-12-2009, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You did the right thing I would have been curious too but would not have said anything. Glad you were able to keep your class under control Sometimes, it is hard to keep the children quiet and on task when there is something "exciting" going on elsewhere

Maybe she was doing a group activity with the kids that got out of control...Whew! I feel bad for her and the kids if screaming is her method of classroom management!
Smiling Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

Augustus

Old 11-12-2009, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with others. You did the right thing. Stay out of it. In my experience if someone was assaulting the teacher one of the students would have went for help. And if it is just a fight the teacher can call for help.

Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote

red leaf

Yup,
Old 11-13-2009, 09:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

stay out of it. It does sound like an activity that got out of control....although I would have thought the teacher would have figured it out the first time around and not repeated it.
However, since the students in your class seemed to be a bit worried, I might have lightened things up and acknowledged their concerns by perhaps guessing what wild and wacky things they were doing to make those odd noises.
red leaf is offline   Reply With Quote