Help

Substitute Teachers

Strange para day

>

3of3

Strange para day
Old 11-13-2009, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today I subbed for a 2nd grade teacher who I have worked for many times in the past. This year she has a student who is autistic who has a 1:1 aide. The aide is to stay with the student throughout the day, including lunch and recess. The student was doing pretty well, not getting much work done, but his behavior wasn't distractive. During a spelling test the aide pulled the student outside for not writing down all the words as we went along with the test. The next thing I know the aide returns without the student stating he had the student sent home for being violent towards him(I did not witness this myself) Anyways the aide says that he is going to stay in the class without the student because he won't get paid for the rest of the day and doesn't have a ride until school is out. Okay, I thought, I don't have much say whether is to go or stay so I just let it ride. The next part is what really gets me. I was asking the students a grammar question and the aide raises his hand to answer the question!WTH?? Did he want to ask me something or answer the question? So I say "Yes Mr. x, did you have a question?" his response "The comma goes after the date and before the year". You have got to be kidding me! I guess my problem is that I assumed a 30 year old man would not behave this way. For the rest of the day he continued to raise his hand when I asked questions to the students. Unbelievable! (for the record I didn't call on him and I bet he was upset when I didn't give him a sticker for his chart) I'll sub for this teacher again because she is great and her students are wonderful, but that strange aide sure made me wonder!! Do you think I should have asked the higher-ups whether he was still to be in class after his student left, or just let it go and know that when I am there they'll be an "adult" student as well?

3of3 is offline   Reply With Quote

newsubstitut

newsubstitut

Old 11-13-2009, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What a weirdo!!! May I ask how old you are? Maybe he found you attractive and thought this was his way of flirting with you? That is very strange indeed.

ncd1

Weird!
Old 11-13-2009, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm hoping he was trying to flirt with you as Newsubstitut said or maybe he was just trying to be funny. I'm really, really hoping one of these is the reason for his behavior or else he really is just Creepy (with a capital "C")!!!
ncd1 is offline   Reply With Quote

3of3

Old 11-13-2009, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Well, it you must know I am 39, and if you ask me or my husband we'd say that I am in good shape and nice looking. To be honest I didn't even think of him(the aide) sticking around for flirting. Who knows, the man was a creeper if you ask me, definately something "off" about him
3of3 is offline   Reply With Quote

red leaf

I'm shaking my head...
Old 11-13-2009, 09:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This definitely takes the cake for story of the day. I got a good chuckle reading it. It could just be he reverted emotionally to being a kid in the classroom. A few times I've noticed in myself a deep primal urge to raise my hand to answer questions when I'm observing a classroom. It's funny to see it in myself. It would be pathetic to actually act on it.

red leaf is offline   Reply With Quote

COsub1

Old 11-13-2009, 10:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When you had a break in the schedule such as electives or lunch, you could have casually went to the office and asked about the aide in regards to staying or not. I would not have made a big deal about it but asked, then you would know if he was supposed to stay or not and whether he should have been assigned somewhere else if he was to stay all day since his assigned student was sent home.

Hindsight is better than foresight. If you encounter a situation like this again, check with the office without making a big deal about it to avoid conflict.
COsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

me too, red leaf
Old 11-14-2009, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When I am just observing, I also get into what's going on in the class and begin to enjoy it as a student. But I try really hard not to be a distraction.

You could say smiling, "The questions are to help the students learn - after all, WE've already graduated, right?" (smile, smile) but I know in those bizarre situations, we're usually too stunned to say anything except "huh??". And then it doesn't happen often enough that we get good at dealing with it. thank heaven!

Paras usually have little to no training and it takes a while of on-the-job training and part of that is feed-back from co-workers, right?. I wonder if you could do a subtle 'no' shake of the head with a friendly but slightly disapproving look - - as if his zipper was down. He's unknowingly committing a faux pax (sp?) and you are gently enlightening him.
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 11-14-2009, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

here's a good one to add to your story: I was subbing in a 5th gr. room and had a(n) aide come in with the class (apparently she was supposed to help one student)...welll the assignment was basically to go over maps they made (no biggie)....WRONG!!!!!!

she sits up in front with her student (fine) then as the 2nd group starts presenting their work she starts BLAH BLAH BLAHINg about how fabulous the maps are: starts in on asking the students questions that I was supposed to ask ( I mean heck, let me go for a coffee break and see how fast she'd fume to the sec'y) then she had the never to hijack the class and proceed to talk to the other students with this comment, "WOW!!! I wish I DID THIS WHEN I WENT TO SCHOOL! YOU GUYS HAVE ALL THE FUN!!!!) WTH!!! I only had them for 45 minutes and had 4 more groups to go thru....

let's just say the class didn't end FAST enough
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

oh yeah...
Old 11-14-2009, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

VERY weird. lol I encourage you to remember who the "boss" of the classroom is. YOU are when you are the sub for the lead teacher. Now, when an aide is there as a 1:1 for a student you have to respect that and can't send him out, however; if the student isn't there or the aide is a general classroom aide - I feel if YOU think it is warranted you may do what you need to do for the classroom. While this aide was not exactly disruptive, he was WEIRD and didn't need to be there - I would have told him to go to the office and ask to be reassigned for the day that you didn't need him in your room that day. I am SURE there was some other teacher who had a student that woudl benefit from 1:1, or bulletin boards that needed changed, or a P.E. class that could use another helper, or another pair of eyes on the playground - SOMETHING where he was getting paid to do SOMETHING.

You are more patient than I am. His presence and participation would have driven me bonkers and probably icked me out a bit too.