Help

Substitute Teachers

Does anyone know how to get rid of head lice

>

WenReuLau

Does anyone know how to get rid of head lice
Old 11-09-2009, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

once and for all???? My kids have been out of school (therefore, I've been out of work) for over a week! We've tried prescription shampoos and OTC creams, but we just can't seem to get rid of the stuff. ....and just for the record, it does not come from poor hygiene or a dirty home.

WenReuLau is offline   Reply With Quote

Azure

Remember that
Old 11-09-2009, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

going through and getting all the nits out is the easy part. Then you have to go clean EVERYTHING.

All bedding, couches, car seats, anything that's padded that the lice can get into along with the carpeting. All clothing as well must be cleaned. All stuffed animals have to be put into the dryer then plastic bags for a couple of weeks I think is the time. Your house may need to be bombed.

If you still have nits in the hair...try putting real maynoaise or tea tree oil on then put a shower cap on. Let the kids sleep in it. The next morning, the nits do come out easier. You still will need the nit comb. You will need to rinse with vinegar to help get all the oils out. The hair will look so pretty.
You still have to go through the hair strand by strand.

Don't forget about cleaning the backpacks as well and all the brush and combs.

Lice like clean hair best. Put a bit of hair gel or a spray of hair spray into their hair daily. Girls hair should always be braided or put up. They can never wear it down until they are in middle school.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote

Super Sub

Old 11-09-2009, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Plan on a lot of washing, vacuuming and spraying.

Plan on having two sets of bedding. One one the bed and one in the wash. Wash them everyday as hot as you can. Put all unwashable bedding and stuffed animals in a trash bag. Leave it sealed up for several weeks. If there's a special stuffed animal that they have to have. Wash it every day if you can. Or plan to love it through a zip lock bag.

Use the lice spray on everything that you can't wash. Don't forget the couch and car! Run the vacuum everyday. Dispose of the bag if it uses them. Those buggers will crawl back out. If you have the canister spray it after you empty it to kill any that may cling.

My daughter had it years ago and had very long hair at the time. It took me 5 hours to pick through her hair. I would braid off each finished section so keep it out of my way. The next night I could only do half her head at a time. I held her hair up against a white sheet of paper to see the eggs better. Be sure to look all the way to the scalp. They can be hard to see. The combs are okay but the thing that worked the best for me was my finger nails. Crush any eggs or live bugs that you pull out. Don't forget to clean up the "picking" area when you finish in case you dropped any.

I understand how frustrating it can be to get this just because you happen to hang out with the wrong person. My friend has had this run through her house twice because of their kid's friends.

I hope this helps. Oh and thanks a lot. Now I'm all itchy!
Super Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

btdt...
Old 11-09-2009, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I owned a dc and had one client who was chronic about it. (finally had to threaten to quit them if it cont. funny how THAT makes them get rid of them) but anyway....

I found the shampoos, etc unecessary however the material spray is quite useful.....

You take all washable items that the kids have come in contact and wash them in the hottest water you can and then dry them on the hottest setting the materials will allow. I would leave them on hot setting for at least 20 minutes if not longer. This would include jackets, coats, car seats covers (spray down the reg. cloth car seat and couches w/ the spray), etc.

Anything that is fabric that cannot be washed or washed on hot setting and dried such as pillows, stuffed animals, dry clean only items, afgans, etc need to be sealed in plastic bags (garbage bags work good w/ tape on them) for 2 weeks. THis will give time for nits and eggs to cycle and die out.

All hair items must be soaked and remain soaking after use. Make sure no one shares items.

Seal bed pillows with allergen pillow case protectors and change the case every day.

Get a fine tooth nit comb and carefully divide the hair into sections. Go through each section under a very bright light. Pick out anything that looks foreign. Sometimes the nits will look like pepper grains or even smaller. Eggs are white and I thought they looked like grains of rice. THIS is the most effective way to remove and be rid of them. I recommend doing this two times per day along w/ taking care of materials and if you know the source eleminating that.

If the child attends school make sure they keep their coat in their backpack or get them some sort of bag to keep them in at school and daycare and home. Even after teh lice is gone their coats should nto touch other people's coats. If they attend daycare make sure their bedding is treated and pillow case protector is on their pillow and that their nap stuff is stored seperately not touching others nap stuff. Make sure you let the provider know so she can also take care of cleaning up her place.

Lice is such a pain in the behind. The issue i had w/ my dc kid was that yes, I know lots of kids get this and no it doesn't mean you are dirty, but they didn't do ANYTHING to stop it at home so it was a reoccuring nightmare for me as a dc owner. When I would talk to mom she would just give me lip service. FINALLY when I threatened to quit if I found another nit she explained that she felt that lice was a right of passage and since she got it from family (cousins) there was no way to keep her from the source. (evidently, I motivated her hehehehe) So anyway....to me it is not a righ tof passage. I managed to grow to middle age w/o every having it and if I got it I would put a stop to it. Good luck in your adventures w/ lice. It is just a pain and time consuming to pick the nits every day.

God this makes my head itch. !!!!

thordau4

Old 11-12-2009, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is too traumatic to respond to! Lice drove me nuts a while back. But,after I struggled with a stubborn case of lice in my young daughters, I realized my dryer wasn't working well - the vent needed cleaned, and it wasn't getting hot enough to kill the lice, so they would make a return. When that was resolved, I won the lice war! - - and of course, years of therapy helped stop the itching!!!!!

thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

WenReuLau

Thanks
Old 11-14-2009, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The kids finally went back to school yesterday ( and I, to work). 2 weeks of battling those nasty little critters was way too long. Any advice on keeping them away??
WenReuLau is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Old 11-14-2009, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree with pp Azure who said:
"Lice like clean hair best. Put a bit of hair gel or a spray of hair spray into their hair daily. Girls hair should always be braided or put up."

My youngest daughter never got head lice though there has been lots of opportunity. I kept her hair braided or wound up in some way, with product on it. It doesn't have to be a lot of hair gel, but enough to smooth it down and gather in the fly-aways. It doesn't have to look greasy. braids w/ mousse, gel, hairspray
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachingSarah

hot iron
Old 11-14-2009, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If you have a good hot iron run in through the hair. It will kill any live ones. It will make it much easier! My friends daughter has SUPER curly hair and she wanted to get some curl out to make it easier to get the live ones out. The head lice started dropping out one by one.
TeachingSarah is offline   Reply With Quote