Substitute Teachers

I love being a sub!

>

newsubstitut

newsubstitut

I love being a sub!
Old 11-13-2009, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a new sub after teaching for a few years and I have to tell you that I LOVE this job!!!
This is what I love!
1. I love that I get to go into different classrooms and see the personality of the classroom. I am truely inspired by some of the teachers with their knack for decor or just making their room nice and cozy.
2. I love how I get to meet different kids every day and have a chance to show them that I care about them. It is such a rewarding feeling if you reach a child or have a child turn their behavior around just in 1 day!
3. I love expereincing the different vibes from all of the various schools I sub at. Each school has it's own feeling when I walk on the grounds.
4. I love meeting new teachers, parents, aides, and various staff members. I feel like since I am there for just a day and some of them I will never meet again that I can brighten their day for that moment.
5. I love that I get to teach still without the planning, stress, or meetings involved.
6. I love that if I don't want to sub for a specific class that I can just choose never to sub there again.
This is just the best job ever!!!

ncd1

I agree
Old 11-13-2009, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I agree with loving to sub! Even when you have the worst class ever, you know that in a few hours you will leave that class and never have to go back! I also find it really rewarding when I'm in school or at a school function (my kids attend the school I sub in, so we are at all the school functions) and kids come up to me and say hi.
ncd1 is offline   Reply With Quote

3of3

Me Too
Old 11-13-2009, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I enjoy subbing as well. Except for the occassional class from hell, it has been a great job for me these past five years. I have been offered full time positions and have declined because I like being available to my kids' schedule and having more freedom and less stress in my life. Thank the universe my dh has a great job and I will continue to sub as long as I can afford to do so. It's nice to hear that there are others that enjoy this job as well!
3of3 is offline   Reply With Quote

red leaf

On a good day
Old 11-13-2009, 09:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with you wholeheartedly on every point.
And then on the not so good days, I feel pretty jaded. The low pay, the invisibility, never knowing if I'll have enough work in a month to cover expenses. Thanks for the reminder of all that is good about subbing!
red leaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachermom65

Old 11-14-2009, 03:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the positive post! It's nice to hear and a great reminder of the good aspects of subbing. Sometimes, it is easy to get dragged down by the negatives.

Teachermom65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Art/Eng guy

Me too
Old 11-14-2009, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It is so nice to hear that someone else enjoys this job also. So many of the subs I meet just gripe about what a lousy job this is. I am having the time of my life subbing, in fact I haven't had a job I enjoy as much in a long time.
Art/Eng guy is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Old 11-14-2009, 04:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I enjoy subbing also, especially now that I know how to 'endure' a bad situation quietly and never return to that class or school. I know what to watch for to know if this is a setting that will work for me. I know when I only have enough energy for a familiar class and when I have the energy to try a new one.

Yesterday I had time and energy to go to a new school in a district I've been listed with since last spring but haven't gone to at all. I thought they might be too far, too urban, too whatever, except for emergencies. However, I had a great experience; it wasn't a tough drive. The teacher left great plans, the paras who wandered in were appropriate. The class was well disciplined. Other staff members were friendly and welcoming. I branched out with good results!
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

gottaread

thordau4
Old 11-14-2009, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Good to hear! I'm also branching out to a new system beginning next week. Sometimes change is good and I figure it will give me more options so I can be more 'choosy' about which assignments I take.
gottaread is offline   Reply With Quote

gottaread

me too!
Old 11-14-2009, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am a retired teacher (took an offered contract buyout...so I am a very 'young' retired teacher! )

I love being able to decide how much I want to work, when and where I will work and with what ages. I love the little ones (Ks and 1st) but woudn't want to be teaching them fulltime, so subbing gives me a 'little kid fix' . (Can you tell I want grandchildren? lol I'm too young and oldest DD is only 20!) I don't have to attend boring meetings anymore and don't have a 'boss'. I am my own boss. (of course I still have to follow all the rules but that's easy!)

I am blessed with a wonderful husband who makes a good income. Subbing gives me extra spending money. Yup. I love subbing!
gottaread is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

expecting a harmonious outcome :)
Old 11-14-2009, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I also agree with redleaf that it's stressful to not know if I will make enough to cover expenses, but I always have gotten enough work to cover expenses - - except in the summer... but during the school year, I always have enough work, so why would that change? Sometimes the job comes so 'last minute' that I worry, or I have a day with no work so I worry, but ultimately I work enough. It's just worry...which I have always had since becoming a single parent. But now the whole world is in a recession and talking scary talk! Fear is easier to 'catch' than head lice or swine flu!! I have to shake it off and realize all will work out. sheesh!

thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

qudiva

Me Too!
Old 11-15-2009, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I love subbing - after 7 years I'm still not tired of it. The negatives (not enough respect from adults) I've learned to take in stride. I've found that a lot of mean little people are out there. Still if you keep a low profile - your life is easier.

I probably would do it till I retire if it wasn't for the pay. I only clear about $10,000 a school year without benefits so this can't go on forever. So I'm going back soon to get certified and a retirement fund (grin).
qudiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Augustus

Old 11-15-2009, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Boy, do I have a response to this thread. As the recognized forum curmudgeon I am sure you all know what that could be, but I am going to let it slide and let people enjoy their one little moment of being positive in the sub world.
Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote

red leaf

Aw, come on Augustus
Old 11-15-2009, 09:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

just one little itsy bitsy squeak of positivity!!
But then, I do believe you give voice to the inner curmudgeon in all of us, bless it's little cantankerous heart!!

red leaf

true words thordau4
Old 11-15-2009, 09:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Fear is easier to catch than the common cold! Yeah, it does work out, and I know that, but I wouldn't mind a little financial security now and then.

Nuclear Sub

Old 11-17-2009, 04:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I agree. Subbing is the best of both worlds.

No benefits, salary, or 401K that teachers get could motivate me away from subbing.
Nuclear Sub is offline   Reply With Quote