Help

Substitute Teachers

jobs slowing down a bit

>

ciounoi

jobs slowing down a bit
Old 11-15-2009, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've noticed that available jobs in my district seem to be slowing down a bit. Could this be because of the upcoming Thanksgiving break (also, teachers have parent-teacher conferences the week of Thanksgiving), or something else we're not aware of?

ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 11-15-2009, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've noticed that too. I've been thinking it might be because the flu has calmed down a little around here. A month ago we were having 33% absentee rates(!); that seems to have slowed down some.

Or it could be the holidays. Or both. Or something else. Who knows?
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

Bonnie101

Old 11-15-2009, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've noticed it too, but I think part of the reason is that teachers are requesting subs at this point verses putting it up for grabs.

Also, I subbed at the same school last week for three days, and I was the only sub their each day. Gosh, teachers are working! They need to take some time off.
Bonnie101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Augustus

Old 11-15-2009, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Gosh, teachers are working! They need to take some time off."

I think they only will work about seventeen days around here this month. They get paid by the month, no matter what they do. I do think teachers earn their money. But they don't put in that many days.
Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

20 out
Old 11-15-2009, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The last school I worked had TWO pages of sign-in sheets for the subs. They had 20 teachers out that day. Only 7 working.

MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

gottaread

20 out?
Old 11-15-2009, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Were they all out ill or were they out for inservices?
gottaread is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms_V

Same here...
Old 11-15-2009, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have noticed too, and I can't say that it hasn't worried me. It almost always gets better, but I can't get that feeling out of my head. I'm guessing that after next week it will pick up to about a week before Christmas break begins. Then, hold onto your hats! It's always busy for me right after break!
Ms_V is offline   Reply With Quote

mstngmom

me too
Old 11-15-2009, 09:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

So far this month, I have been getting lots of calls, but now it seems to be slowing down for some reason, maybe because of thanksgiving break coming up.
However, I already have a job lined up for the two weeks of school in december. It could also be the economy, not many teachers are taking off because they need the money due to the bad economy. Also perhaps they need money for Christmas, so they are not taking any time off. I sub in 4 districts. In one of the districts, there are virtually no sub jobs unless you want to sub for a bus driver, bus assistant, or cafeteria worker.

I have been feasting lately, worked 4 days last week and the week before that so far this week I have nothing,although it is only monday.

Last edited by mstngmom; 11-16-2009 at 05:01 AM.. Reason: not finished
mstngmom is offline   Reply With Quote

red leaf

Hmm,
Old 11-15-2009, 10:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I worked every day the last two weeks, and I was hoping to keep the working streak! But, a slowdown wouldn't surprise me.
red leaf is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 11-16-2009, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm also wondering if a new crop of subs has just been inducted. We do that twice a year; in the fall and in the spring. I'm not sure when the school districts give the OK and they can start working, but I think that might be one of the reasons.

And slightly off topic... it annoys me that everybody and his mother is signing up to be a sub because of the economy! It is NOT easy pay, and I sure hope they treat the kids right!

Augustus

Old 11-16-2009, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I sure hope they treat the kids right!"

It is, IMHO, the subs that don't get treated right. Every year I see new subs in the districts. By Christmas we are mostly left with core that is there year in and year out. It is the retired teachers that are the funny ones. They can't believe the kids treat them like a sub. "Were they like that for you?" Sure they at least try to be like that for all subs. A look of realization grows across their face. Heck, the kids don't know they taught for twenty years, and don't care.
Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote
barbara s

barbara s

I'm short on work days too
Old 11-16-2009, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm more limited than the rest of you, subbing only in parochial schools, but I'm getting far fewer days than I expected. I was talking to a teacher at carpool this morning, and she said nobody is taking any time off at that school. At the other school, I've seen several subs here and there, but I think they're mostly for professional development. There's nothing consistent or regular at either school. I don't think the flu has hit teachers like it has kids. Now... what's going to happen in January? I have decided to sign up for a third class, thinking that it'll make my fall easier if I can land a full-time job. But just watch: Everyone will get sick, and someone will need an LTS, and... I'll be struggling to keep up...aiieee...

ciounoi

Old 11-16-2009, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Haha, well, the fact that the kids treat the subs like crap is old news to me! However, I've also seen my share of bad subs... like the one lady who left her fourth-grade class in the middle of class to go get something from a vending machine. If you take in every other person off the street you're going to get some pretty bad subs.

Smiling Sub

It's slow....
Old 11-16-2009, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

It is slow in my district too, but I think it is because of the Thanksgiving break that is coming up. I really hope things pick up soon. I worked every day in October but November is REALLY slow It's nice to have a little break but I could really use the money!

I hope it picks up for all of us soon
Smiling Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetosub

Thanksgiving holiday
Old 11-16-2009, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

just around the corner, and for some districts, grades are/were due. It's difficult for these teachers to be out when report cards are right around the corner. I've noticed a lull in available assignments right after the holidays as well.
lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote

catarific

Benchmark Testing
Old 11-17-2009, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Also, at least in Florida, is Benchmark Testing, November 16 - 18. Usually on testing days, you get very few call ins for subs.
catarific is offline   Reply With Quote

teach smiles

Old 11-17-2009, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I am experiencing a lull in assignments in NJ, too. I was really busy the past couple weeks, but last week and this week has been very slow. I get so thrown off when I'm subbing sporadically. I like to be busy and on a consistent schedule. Hopefully it'll pick up soon!
teach smiles is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

reply to: 20 out
Old 11-18-2009, 12:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Were they all out ill or were they out for inservices?

Since the office admin was the one that pointed it out and she didn't know why. I assume that the office would know about and scheduled in-service so I assumed that wasn't the reason.
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 11-18-2009, 03:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Oh, and apparently it's American Education Week, too... that could have something to do with it.

teach smiles

Old 11-18-2009, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

That's right about American Education Week. Some schools are inviting parents in to visit their kids' classrooms. Another reason why teachers wouldn't want to be calling out for this week.
teach smiles is offline   Reply With Quote