Help

Substitute Teachers

A little GRUMPY today...

>

Smiling Sub

A little GRUMPY today...
Old 11-17-2009, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Most days I like my job... It's not a secret that I really want my own class someday but for now subbing will have to do. I do my best everyday!!! I love working with the kids but SOME days the adults in the building just get to me... GRRR! For instance....

1. I am early everyday... it doesn't matter if I have been to a building one time or a hundred times... I need to get myself mentally and physically prepared for the day so I arrive early. We are supposed to arrive 20 minutes before the kids but that is not enough time for me. I am so sick and tired of hearing, " You are SO early" from admins and teachers who don't have their plans ready the morning they need a sub with that "I can't believe you are asking me to do something" look on their face. GRRRR !!!I actually had one teacher ask me to grade papers while I waited for them to get my plans ready for the day... (this wasn't a teacher calling out sick either... I accepted this position four days earlier). I don't mind grading papers but the whole reason I arrive early is so that I can see what I need to do that day. Once I am comfortable with the plans, I am more than happy to do anything else.

2. When another adult walks into a room before school starts, expecting to see Mr./Mrs. Regular Teacher, sees me and says "Oh, I guess Mr./Mrs. Teacher isn't here" and walks out of the room without acknowledging me... not even a Good Morning????

3. When another adult in the room (para or aide) starts disciplining the kids while I am teaching or talking. I don't mind if the other adults in the room keep the kids on task but is it really necessary to yell at them while I am talking or teaching????

Ok... vent over... AHHH I feel better

Anyone else want to share their little pet peeves?

Smiling Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 11-17-2009, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First off, kudos to you for arriving so early that you want that extra time to relax and get it together....I wish I could do that...but having two kids of school age I'm lucky to make it 10-15 minutes before the beginning of the day...

2. when you arrive early, make sure the teacher is STILL NOT there (in other words, drop your stuff and leave) I know this sounds stupid but like you said, some of them will give you the evil eye...leave to go walk around for a bit; go to the teacher's lounge; the bathroom (anywhere except the room---a good 5-10 minutes is sufficient enough) this gives the teacher a chance to get their stuff together w/o having to think about the fact that you're there in the room; standing around and waiting......

3. welcome to the world of "invisible people" I've had this done to me quite a few times; now I just go about my business (most times it's because they have something to tell that particular person and seeing a sub totally perplexes them; they get the case of the DUHHHS)

4. get this---I had a(n) aide literally tell me loud and clear that a particular class was the "stupid bad class" and I'm like WTH!!!!???? I treated them with the respect they deserved---I didn't fall for that at all---I didn't demean; or demand or yell...I talked to them: I got them to want to work with me (WHEW!!!!)
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

3of3

Pet Peeves
Old 11-17-2009, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

1. Being tapped from behind when a student wants my attention
2. Changing job hours after I've already arrived(I don't mind the grade changed, but I've got a schedule and may have other plans!)
3. When a teacher is on campus and keeps coming in the classroom(so disruptive)
4. No/incomplete lesson plans, then asking why something wasn't done their way
5. Flies in the classroom(drives me nuts!)

I probably could keep going...It does feel good to get it out though
3of3 is offline   Reply With Quote

red leaf

Pet Peeves (cont)
Old 11-17-2009, 11:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

6. Room is a total mess and the teacher criticizes you for not putting some random game pieces away (as if you had any idea where they came from!)
7. Rooms without windows
8. It's been said before and I'll say it again: being invisible. What is so difficult about simply saying hello, or just nodding. Even a glimmer of a glance or smile would be appreciated.
9. Lesson plans that demonstrate the writer has no ability to look at what they know from the perspective of someone who has never seen it before. How can you possibly teach without this skill?
Yes, venting is good. My inner grump is at peace now.
red leaf is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Old 11-18-2009, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

For me, many things are tolerable until the 20th time it happens. An annoyance will wear on me. I face it with good cheer for a while and then get a cumulative case of irriation! - being invisible is one of those.
Students arguing/correcting me is another annoyance that I can tolerate for a while. It's especially irritating when someone INTERRUPTS me to tell me 'teacher doesn't do it that way'.

thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

hmmm....
Old 11-18-2009, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

* Not being given keys to the classroom door by admin. This REALLY irks me and this year I have been basically bullying them to giving them to me. Did we not learn anything from the school shootings? I need to be able to lock my classroom door!!

* Recess duty - I hate it. Trade it away and I'll be your sub anytime. --OR--put it on the aesop that there will be duty.

* Schools w/o break rooms. You know the ones. Where the teachers all eat in their classrooms. Those schools make for very long days. I dont' get to know the other teachers and they seem to be always w/ the lowest grades - so I end up not getting the adutl interaction (altho limited) I enjoy/need.

* End of the day pick ups in elem. When you have to stand out there and release each child to their parent. AND THE PARENTS ARE LATE. Yesterday it happened that after 15 min I took the kids to the office to call the parents. The secretary (who HAS to stay until 4pm) looked at me like I was nuts. I said no really, my shift is up and I need to pick up MY kids hwo have been standing in front fo their school for 30 min now!!! and I left.

* And my all time most hated pet peeve is mess. I hate messy plans, messy rooms, disorganization. I hate too many decorations that cause the chucky cheese effect ont he kids and piles of stuff everywhere and I can't tell if things are lost, there, or what. Usually, if the plans are a mess too it is a one day stand and I won't be back to that room.

red leaf

and...
Old 11-18-2009, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I don't like waiting from 6am until 8:45am to find out if I'm subbing that day or not (yes, I've gotten calls that late in the game several times). It makes it hard to enjoy a relaxing morning or make plans for the day.

Ah, the chucky cheese effect. That's a good one Subczy. I haven't heard that before, but such an apt description; made me chuckle.
red leaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

Old 11-18-2009, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

-I get the invisible feeling all of the time from the school librarian. One morning last month I covered the phones for the Pupil Personnel Secretary (it was an 'ooops, we don't need you TEACHING, but we need to do something with you' day) and the school librarian got annoyed with me when I was unable to transfer calls properly (I wasn't shown properly, everyone else understood) so now when she sees me, instead of answering my "good morning" with a human response, she gives me a glare and moves on to acknowledge someone else. I just chalk it up to her being an unfriendly S.O.B.

-When students approach me in droves. I have a personal space, and I don't need it invaded.

-Yard duty- I found out that this school has the kids go outside in the dead of winter; only thing that prevents this is rain or snow. Yes, it will get into the 10's and 20's, and if I have yard duty during the winter months, I will have to freeze my butt off in the schoolyard.

-Poorly thought-out "emergency lesson plans." Teachers are required to have these on file, but these lessons are occasionally a complete waste of time. I have had students tell me that they already finished an activity that their teacher put on an emergency lesson plan. Is it really conducive to have kids repeat a lesson just for the sake of being busy?

I could go on, but we all need to share. Sharing is caring, right? =)
Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote