Help

Gifted Education

What can we do to help her?

>

BioAdoptMom3

What can we do to help her?
Old 11-07-2008, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

DD attends a 4/5 gifted combo class at the same school where I teach. She should have been in gifted in 3rd, but wasn't happy at all after a month, so we pulled her and put her back in regular ed. She was very content with that. She is the one who wanted to get back into the program this year so we had a staffing and put her back in. Well, now after two months she wants out. She earned a C in math on her report card and after receiving nothing but A's all through school she is devastated. She also seems to be having problems socially and is seperating herself at recess from her peers for the most part. She has always had friends in her other classes and has done exceptionally well socially on her softball team (since age 5) and with her girl scout troop.
So, any ideas of what we can do to help her? Should we just pull her out again and let her remain in regular ed through 5th? I want her to be happy at school and have no problem with that except for that it concerns me that she will learn that when you're not happy with a situation, you just quit. I am also in a sticky situation because these teachers are my co-workers (right across the hall actually) and this is my principal. What would you do if this were your child?

Nancy

BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Why...
Old 11-07-2008, 09:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

did she receive a C in math? Does the work from the pullout count in her regular classroom grades? Is she missing some key concept that was taught while she was in pullout? I would look at why...

My daughter was in GT in first grade, and is such a perfectionist she worried herself sick. So we took her out in first grade.. and she was bored senseless! Second grade, back in, and she enjoyed the pullout. Third grade was great! She was in a self-contained class and when she changed schools in fourth, was WAY ahead of the other kids in her class (no GT program to speak of). By fifth we gave up and homeschooled her until high school...

It just depends on your daughter. In the end, you need to do what is best for HER, and don't let the fact that you have to work with these people influence your decision. Your a teacher AND a parent, one has nothing to do with the other.
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 11-08-2008, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks so much for your encouragement to do the right thing and not worry about what the others think. It helps to hear your story. She isn't in pull out though, she is in self contained. In FL gifted is provided as a SC program for all identified children first grade and up. Kindergarten is the only grade where we still do pull outs for gifted. I believe the reason for her C is that 1. we need to work more on multiplication so she can pull them right off the top and 2. she has gone from a third grade math book in regular ed to a fifth grade math book in this class, even though she is really a 4th grader. She is having a hard time because after being in regular ed all these years she is used to being the "top banana" and making straight A's. I do not want her getting "lazy", which I'm afraid will happen in regular ed, but I think I am more concerned about her being happy in school. It would be devastating to me and her father if because of this she started hating school and lost a lot of her joy for learning.

Thanks again!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote