Substitute Teachers

Augustus on Never Using Teacher's Computer

>

TeachwLove

Augustus on Never Using Teacher's Computer
Old 11-06-2009, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all,

I'm still a relatively new sub and am soaking in the wisdom from the vets on this board. Augustus' posts have been particularly helpful.

I noticed he posted that he never gets on the teacher's computer but reads in the class.

Augustus (and others who steer clear of the teacher's computer), I am wondering if this is because you don't like or need to get on the computer or if you feel like it's safer to stay off of it. If so, would you elaborate on this. Have you heard of it causing problems?

I've been getting on the teachers' computers on my breaks to check the subfinder, catch up on my email, etc. Should I stop this and just bring something to read?

TeachwLove is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

computers
Old 11-06-2009, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I never touch the computer unless the teacher has specifically invited me to "make myself at home" and to use the computer if I want to. And then when I do...I only go to news websites and read the news. I don't check email, I don't check PT....nothing but the news.

All of the computers in the schools have passwords and are locked unless you know the teacher's password.

I've subbed for 3 years and rarely have time to do anything on breaks other than grading papers or cleaning up t he room, prepping for the rest of the day.
RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Old 11-06-2009, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

At the high schools where I work, I will sometimes leave AESOP on and refresh between classes to look for future assignments. I asked the secretary at one of the HS and she said and enthusiastic "it's OK" - cuz I had just accepted (on AESOP) an assignment there the next day and that is what prompted me to ask.

The other HS, I do it occasionally. but only AESOP and the news. And I'm not completely comfortable with it. I suppose I could ask the secretary about it. I am working there Mon and Tues upcoming. Asking is probably a good idea!

I like to be working the whole time I am being paid and I like to be looking "teacherly" all the time that I am there. Most classes require my complete attention, so this doesn't come up much.

AND I usually adhere to the goal of "avoiding the appearance of [wrongdoing]". If I'm never on the computer, I can't be accused of being on inappropriate sites or wasting school district time.
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 11-06-2009, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

when I first started I would log onto the computers---heck some of them didn't even require passwords....then after reading several posts on PT where teachers/subs got burnt for doing the same thing I stopped..now I leave the computer stuff for home.
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

relaxing

Old 11-06-2009, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I personally do not want subs or any other teacher on my computer. After all, I keep grades, letters to parents, etc. on my computer. This is all private information.

Before I got a teaching position and was subbing, I would never get on a teacher's computer. It just seems like an invasion of privacy.

Just my 2cents worth.

relaxing is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachwLove

Clarification: I log on as a sub
Old 11-06-2009, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

One point of clarification in response to the post by "relaxing": our district IT dept. gave me a generic log-in and the sub coordinater told us that we could check our online sub-job system on our lunch break.

So when I asked this question,I didn't mean to imply that I logged on as the teacher. In fact, if the teacher leaves his or her computer logged on, I log out and re-log in under the sub credentials.

It's a grey area since we were told we can check the sub-job system. I have had one teacher leave a post-it on her computer saying "do not use." But short of that, it seems to be up to us.

That said, I do want to be safe and respectful, rather than sorry. I also want to know if and how other teachers or subs have been "burned" by using a computer at school. (I do not look at anything inappropriate--unless the occasional visit to ProTeacher is considered to be too subversive!).
TeachwLove is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I'll share what happened to me once...
Old 11-06-2009, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I subbed four years before I took a full time position. I got into a room and found a post-it on top of the type notes saying I could use her computer and this is the password, etc, etc. But it was a busy, hectic day staying up with these kids so I never got on. When the prep time came, I had some other stuff to do so I was in the office and not her room. I went down and schmoozed the sec and got a couple more days lined up.

The next day I was assigned another job in the same building. I was at the counter waiting to pick up a key and noticed a teacher in the door of the Prince's office loudly and tearfully complaining that her computer was crashed and that 'that ^&*% sub' must have got on there and screwed it up. The sec shot me a sharp look and I said "She can't be talking about me, I didn't use the computer yesterday--besides I was down here with you." The prince heard that and came out. HE looked at me with no reply though. No one said another thing to me so I just reported to my room.

At the end of the day, I was signing my paperwork and personally heard the tech guy tell the P "...oh, that computer has been down a couple days, the log on there shows....blah, blah, blah..." I was soooo relieved. I never went on one after that.
Lottalove is online now   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

depends what dist I guess...
Old 11-06-2009, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

we are expected to have it on. Subs have a sign on to take roll electronically. Many of the lessons for the younger kids are on the computer which is linked to a Intelliboard - if you have never used one of these they are so FUN the kids love them and it basically does the lessonf or you. We also go through them to show any films, or do board work. Most of our classrooms do not even have dry erase boards anymore. It is all through the computer. It is linked and projects the intelliboard on the wall (a board base) and you use a mouse that looks like a pen tow rite, select colors and do all sorts of neat things. So the students can be at the board w/ their mouse and you at your desk w/ the master controls. Way neat.

Also, in the upper grades it get boring. There I said it. They come in. We take roll. Their assign is on the board and they work quietly in their seat. They barely talk and I don't have to teach anything at that level usually. I do sometimes bring a book, or homework, or work on my writing, etc but I also get on the web. I ck the sub finder, I get on this site. I am wella ware that what I do at school and on the teachers computer may be monitored. EAch such has their own password, they'll know it's me and not th eteacher. Trust me. The only time this has been a problem was once I was helping a student and couldn't find a dictionary. I put in dictionary.com and it was blocked. I tried webster dictionary and search and it was blocked and so on. My purely innocent searching resulting in blocks generated a report that went to the teacher. Who of course said well duh - you were searching the words like dictionary. I apologized said I finally found a sitet aht isnt' blocked and it shouldn't happen again.

Anyway...I am not goofing off when I shouldn't be. I would LOVE lessons to teach in h.s. but they dont' give them to us (at least until they get to know us in some cases) and I am not gonna sit there for 8 hrs staring at the kids. lol

mstngmom

No can do, even if i wanted to
Old 11-06-2009, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

In the area where I teach, subs are not issued passwords for the teachers computers, so we can't access anything even if we wanted to, unless you bring your laptop. Many people don't do this either, because you have to sign a statement stating that you won't go to any inappropriate sites, even for your personal laptop.
mstngmom is offline   Reply With Quote
musicteach7

musicteach7

Only when I'm in my mom's class
Old 11-06-2009, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My mom teaches in the district that I sub for, so I log on with her password and email only in her room during the breaks or in the computer lab if I am in there with the kids. Otherwise, I don't touch the computer at all under any cirumstances unless the teacher has asked me to do something with the kids that involves me using the computer on the projector or something. Its not a risk I want to take!

wnlbutterfly

Old 11-07-2009, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

This is one of those situations where you need to ask what the policy is. When I first started we could log on as a workstation, then you could check the AESOP. Some subs were even banking online as well as checking emails, which didn't sit well with teachers.

Last year they started a policy about not using the computers but it is still a gray area. We have Smartboards here and the teachers are told to put as much of their lesson plans on the Smartboards as they can. Well, that means subs need to be able to use them. I think if we log on as a workstation, we can still get to Smartboard (I have recently since I am doing a long-term and have the teacher's passwords). BUT the district has closed access to anything but that, in other words if you log in as workstation you can't get to the internet anyway. Apparently they were having subs doing a LOT of stuff on the internet instead of teaching. One teacher told me when she got back she found out the sub had been bidding on ebay all day long.

The problem is there are only a few subs that do this kind of stuff and instead of just telling them NOT to do it or not asking them to sub, they make a district wide policy that makes it hard for subs to do their job.

Anyway, this is something you need to find out because it can really get you into the hot seat fast!
wnlbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote

blueheron

I'm going to write in my sub plans that
Old 11-07-2009, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

it is absolutely OK for substitute teachers to use my computer to check their district email or subfinder before kids come, after school and duties, and on breaks. Substitutes have their own passwords, and the computers belong to the district. They will not see any of my records because I have my own password. The district expects the substitutes to get information via computer. It is absolutely ridiculous to prevent substitutes from accessing computers to get work related information!
blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinder1

Old 11-07-2009, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

The district that I'm subbing for I have my own username and password so by using the computer I'm not bothering any of the teacher's information. Therefore, from time to time I do use the computer on my lunch break or prep. I personally think since I have my own username and password that I'm not doing anything wrong.
Kinder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Mixter

Mixter

Old 11-11-2009, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I sub and do get on the computer, Workstation only no password needed!!

imacacher

Old 11-12-2009, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

No--there is no point during my day in which a substitute should have time to be using my computer. I don't have time to check the news or weather, how can they? As far as email goes, that is how our district communicates, so I must have my email up at all times. Other than that, I don't use my computer hardly at all during my 8-4 "scheduled" work day. Some of our subs know the generic log in and password. They are our building subs that seem to think that they are above the other subs, and that they don't need to read our lesson plans, or do the prep for the lessons before the stuents arrive. Sorry, OT rant. When I know I am going to be out I lock my computer so that they cannot log on with the generic user name and password.
imacacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Super Sub

Old 11-12-2009, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Sometimes we need it and can't use it. One school I go to does their morning announcements on TV. You have to use the computer to access it. As a sub I can't sign on. If I can't get the computer person to come log on for me I have to take the whole class to another room to watch the announcements. What a pain. They took all the VHS players out of the rooms too. Now it has to be disks in the computers. So now I can't play my School House Rock when I need to fill time. I wish they'd give us a code to use with limited access. I don't want to play I just want to do what we have to do.
Super Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

ckosu

Old 11-20-2009, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I thought the computers belonged to the school?? I would never mind if someone were to get on my computer. Now, if I had brought my laptop it might be a different story.
ckosu is offline   Reply With Quote