Special Ed Class - Three Week Assignment Advice? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Special Ed Class - Three Week Assignment Advice?

>

Teachermom65

Special Ed Class - Three Week Assignment Advice?
Old 11-07-2009, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi folks,

I was requested for a somewhat long-term sub job for a special ed middle school teacher who will be out for surgery. I have subbed in her classes a couple of times before and have been subbing in general since last spring. While I am definitely still getting my feet wet with the whole subbing thing, I am starting to have some successes dealing with regular (non-special ed) classes. Not that every day is smooth, but it's getting better.

However, I feel very *green* when it comes to dealing with the special ed kids. These are self-contained classes filled with a mix of *very* low functioning and/or emotionally disturbed kids. The lower functioning kids are generally ok. It's the emotionally disturbed ones that I'm at a loss with. I know that they need a lot of patience and calm vibes from me. I've got that down so far. But, what to do when they are disrespectful or shut me out? Does anyone have any tips? I am going to try to speak with the guidance counselor about a couple of the toughest cases, but I don't know if they are even allowed to talk with me. I cannot see the kids' IEP's either. I really want these three weeks to go smoothly and the learning to continue. But, I feel very disadvantaged in terms of how to react. One of the classes has a fantastic para, but the others are weak. They just hang back and don't really respond when I ask how the regular teacher would handle certain things.

Help!

Teachermom65 is offline   Reply With Quote

gottaread

Old 11-07-2009, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Out of curiosity, what is your area of licensure/certification? I ask because I am licensed for K-8 with language arts and reading and math. This year I am subbing to complete a master's program in reading. I don't feel qualified to go into SPED classrooms...even though my youngest SD is a SPED child and I have been raising her for over 10 years. I'm leery of subbing in SPED classrooms but wonder if I should give it a try. I think I know too much firsthand about the difficulties with these kids! So...should I consider subbing this area even without the training?
gottaread is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

alrighty....
Old 11-07-2009, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

First, congratulations on being request for long term sub. That is a sure sign that you are doing things right. Here are my personal thoughts from my personal experience on a job like you have been requested for:

I would be most worried about burn out. Special ed can be high demand depending on how the class is set up. Some of ours the paras do all the work (b/c teacher is usually in non stop meetings) but in others it is non stop hands on type demanding work. So take this into consideration.

Also take into consideration if the plans will be completed for the entire time. I would NOT want to write special ed plans. I would have no backgroudn for doing this.

And last, 3 weeks sub job would not be long enough to kick in our long term sub pay where I am. so I"d be getting the same pay as I usually get for full days, perhaps having to deal w/ parents, personal burn out, and other issues that come along w/ being somewhere long term. For *ME* I have many jobs i take where I only have to be present for a few hours - so my work to pay ratio is pretty good. In a job like this it would mean longer hours (you'd have ot pick up room, maybe have duties w/in the building, etc) and so my work ot pay ratio woudl be going down. Would these extra hours cost you additional money such as w/ a babysitter for your own kids (that has happened to me?) I know this sound spetty, but unles syou are eventually looking at being certified and wanting to be hired on as a teacher in the dist putting in that extra work is something you have to be willing to accept as part of the pay as you will not be compensated or thanked necessarily.

Just something to consider. I think sometimes we get so flattered at being asked to long term sub we forget to consider the business side of it and the investment we'd be putting into that classroom. I am NOT trying ot talk you out of it. Long term jobs can be very fun and rewarding. Just wanted you to consider all that goes into being the regular teacher on sub pay. Let us know what you decide.

Teachermom65

Old 11-08-2009, 04:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi there,

Thank you for making that point. It is appreciated! I accepted this position for a couple of reasons. 1) I applied to a MA program in special ed and hope to start in January. I think this will give me a great opportunity to gain some practical experience and make my classes more relevant. 2) I really want to get hired in the middle school where the assignment is located. I think that if I do a good job, it could help me when the principal gets ready to hire new social studies teachers. I know of one teacher who is retiring and another who is looking for an admin job...so this is an investment in my future.

The lesson plans will be prepared by the teacher who will be on leave. She seems to be very organized and respected, so I doubt she is going to send me to the wolves. I'm sure that she wants this to go as smoothly as I do.

Having said all of that, I am still looking for advice!

Teachermom65

Old 11-08-2009, 04:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Gottaread - My certification is in social studies 7-12. I plan to start my masters in special ed in the spring (provided that I am accepted). I have subbed in special ed rooms before and I really enjoy it. I was also leery until I tried it There is usually an aide or another teacher, so you're not on your own. I find this to be really helpful in knowing how to deal with specific kids (b/c I don't want to set them off emotionally). I've also found that *most* (not all) of the special ed kids really try hard. Since you've been in the mainstream classes, you know that many of the other kids cannot be bothered with school work and/or are not very motivated. So, when I sub in special ed, I often feel that I've actually helped someone accomplish something that day. Not always the case in general ed rooms.

Any advice for me on handling special ed kids who are emotionally disturbed?