Help

Substitute Teachers

game suggestions

>

ashley1616

game suggestions
Old 11-07-2009, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be starting a four week assignment in grade 1. I am out of fresh ideas to do for gym - what sorts of games do you play with young kids? There are 18 kids in the class so safety is a concern.

Thanks!

ashley1616 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 11-09-2009, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If there is a parachute in the supplies, they love that. You can call colors and have them switch places underneath, "popcorn" foam balls on top, or have them make a "mushroom" - raise it high, all go under, and sit on the edges. (It will stay up for some time if they get it just right.)

If there are big foam dice or numbered beanbags, you can have the kids stand in a circle and take turns tossing one/drawing one out of a bag. The child chooses a certain exercise (jumping jacks, toe touch, etc.) and everyone does that the number of times that came up.

Red light, green light is good. You can even throw in some of what they are working on in their regular class, if you want. - For example, if they are learning the difference between nouns and verbs, then you call out words, and if the word is a noun, it acts like "red light", and a verb acts like "green light".

And there are always plain old relay races if you have the space.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

ashley1616

Old 11-09-2009, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks Lakeside for all of your suggestions. I completely forgot about the parachute - I have never used it before, but I can see how it would be a fun activity! I will have to check to see if we have numbered bean bags - maybe I could label some. Thanks for the ideas!
ashley1616 is offline   Reply With Quote

subcat

Gr. 1 PE
Old 11-09-2009, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The kids really enjoy playing octopus, hot potato, duck duck goose, alphabet tag, simon says, jumping jacks/jills/snow angels....

Check out a fun story warm up called Michael Mickey Mantle Jordan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPOUGGX-dBw

This next one is called Let's Go Hunting (they LOVE IT) but I changed it to Let's go Haunting(I tell them we're in a haunted house). Instead of saying BANG....I say BOO. Little boys get too excited over play guns etc. so I eliminated it. It was good for Halloween:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvQ7YQcuX50

You can also create some fun circuits for them which really passes time and can be great exercise!

Hope this helps...

-subcat-
subcat is offline   Reply With Quote