Help

Substitute Teachers

Funny "kid" question!

>

gottaread

Funny "kid" question!
Old 11-07-2009, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Yesterday one of the Kindergardeners cracked me up. I had introduced myself (a long, difficult name) but said, "you can call me Mrs. J." as I always do. Later, one of the girls came up, hugged my knees and looked up saying "I like you Mrs. J, but...what's your REAL name?" She said this in a whisper, as if it were our little secret. I bent over and said "that IS my real name!"

Kids have asked variations of this over time. How do YOU respond?

gottaread is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

subczy

welll...
Old 11-07-2009, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I only have my last name on my name badge. That is what I go by. It is very easy to say and the kids of all ages are VERY good at remembering. (Wish I was that good w/ names).

I often get asked my first name. Esp in jr. high and high school. I just smile and say Mrs. They always say, no REALLY - what is it. I then ask them why? Then 99 of a 100 times they move on. The kids who do know my real name usually stay quiet about it and can sense I dont' want it spread around. I appreciate that of them.

I don't get a lot of funny about my name. I usually get nonsense personal questions that they try to use to get me talking to avoid doing the assign. I don't mind sharing about myself but I usually do it when *I* want to (usually in conjunction w/ the lesson, or what is going on, etc) and rarely in response to their time delay questions. I did get a new time delay question this week - "do you live on a farm?" yeah, new one. And no, I don't.

Amberlee

My Name
Old 11-07-2009, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a last name that can be difficult to pronounce. I'd always have students ask me how to say it. So I started calling myself Miss Firstinitial. But then they'd say 'What's your REAL name?'

My solution?
I put Miss Last name and "Miss Initial" both on the board. That way they don't have to ask me either. I say "This is my name but you can also call me Miss Initial." It's worked for me ever since!
Amberlee is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 11-08-2009, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
I put Miss Last name and "Miss Initial" both on the board. That way they don't have to ask me either. I say "This is my name but you can also call me Miss Initial." It's worked for me ever since!
That's what I usually do, too.

My district-issued ID badge has my first and last names on it. That kind of annoys me...every once in awhile I'll get a kid who thinks he's being really smart call my by my first name.

I think my weirdest came this past week: I spent 3 days in a first-grade class that addresses their regular teacher as "Maestra firstname," but I introduced myself to them as "Maestra lastname" (or Maestra initial). For some reason these kids then spent 3 days calling me by just my last name: No Mrs., no Ms., no senora, no maestra. I didn't do anything about it (except occasionally refer to myself the way I wanted to be addressed) because I really don't think they meant any disrespect; they were just confused. It was just funny!
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote
MrsDriver

MrsDriver

When...
Old 11-09-2009, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I introduce myself to little ones they give me a funny look when I say my last name, Driver. I usually get at least one that says, "like bus driver". I have to say yeah, like bus driver.