Help

Substitute Teachers

How is your district about payroll?

>

grav_def

How is your district about payroll?
Old 11-08-2009, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do other people have problems with this? I'd say my main district gets my paycheck wrong about 80% of the time, if not more. We only get paid once a month, so it is kind of a big deal when they mess it up.

Most recently, I received a paycheck on Oct. 30. During the pay period that check covered (mid-Sept.--mid-Oct....can't be bothered to look up the exact dates at the moment) I worked 4.5 days in that district (and more elsewhere). The paycheck was for 2 days of work. I called them the following Monday (my mail usually doesn't come until after business hours) and left a message; they got back to me on Tuesday and said they were "working on it." That's the last I've heard.

I just...don't know how to get it through these people's heads that this is a serious hardship for people! I mean, my rent is due on the first, not when the school district decides to get around to paying me, you know? I wish I could charge them a $35 late fee and raise their interest every time they pull this stuff, because that is what happens to me when I can't pay my bills because they aren't paying me.

Obviously I'll be calling them again tomorrow, but they only issue checks on Friday so at this point the best I'll be able to do is to get the rest of the money two weeks late. Grrrr. I know I'm not the only one in my district this happens to, because whenever I call them on the day after payday, they complain about how they've got 400 messages to deal with. You'd think that might be their clue that their procedure needs to change.

Anyway. Just needed to vent. And I'm wondering if other people's districts are this bad. The others that I work in are not.

grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Old 11-08-2009, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my main district, if they make a mistake on a paycheck, they fix it on the NEXT paycheck!
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Super Sub

Old 11-08-2009, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is my 6th year as a sub. I had never had a single problem until last month. A clerical error caused them the leave out a half day worth of pay. I called and got it fixed. The money was in the very next paycheck. Not too bad considering how many schools one person can work at that get counted on one paycheck. Then mutltiply that times all the sub in the district. I'm really surprised I'd never had a problem before this one.
Super Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

gottaread

unresponsive!
Old 11-08-2009, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have direct deposit. The day before a paycheck is to be deposited, we get an email. It is unreadable. It doesn't say tell what days/dates/units are being paid. Instead of sending a pdf of the paystub, we get a garbled rendition where the spacing is messed up so you aren't sure what is being taken out and how much. I have requested a hardcopy version and was assured that my paystub would no longer be emailed, but I would receive a paper copy by snailmail. Nadda. I have phoned. I have emailed. I am beyond aggravated. I need this information for tax purposes as well as to check to make sure I'm being paid for days I work. Tomorrow, if I have to, I will be going there in person to rage on! I have no idea if my paychecks are correct or not. grrrr....

And...I work in three systems! The bookkeeping side of this is ridiculous!
gottaread is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

carry a log book
Old 11-08-2009, 10:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

After a couple of screw ups, I started carrying a log book in my subbing bag.

Each assignment is logged and initialed by someone in the office. It comes in pretty handy when there is a discrepancy in the number of days worked or half day .vs. full day assignments.

The few times I've caught an error, it's never been in my favor and it was corrected on the next paycheck. Since they only pay once a month, it can take two months to get the money for a specific day I worked.

MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

qudiva

Old 11-09-2009, 03:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I carry a log calendar too - it always made my life easier. Plus that way I always have a record where I was and when. That said - my favorite district switched to Kelly Services to handle the subs last year and it really made a big difference. I was very leery at first but after a year I can see how much easier it was for them to handle the whole sub issue at this district. I log in my time online and get paid weekly. I do have automatic deposit which is easier for me and now my paystub comes electronically. It looks just like the one in the mail but it pops up on my screen instead. Also - Kelly is paying bonuses which the district never did before.

With Kelly - I now have one contact person for any problems or concerns. It really has made my life soooooo much easier!
qudiva is offline   Reply With Quote

gottaread

Now why didn't I think of that?!
Old 11-09-2009, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Great idea about the logbook and getting someone to sign it when you check in. Last week I was at the same school for different assignments on four of the days. It bothered me that the secretary (on the 2nd and 3rd and 4th days) looked up and said "oh, hi...I already checked you in". Usually on the first day I sign a timecard... I asked to see it and she got all huffy and defensive about it! arrrghhhh.....
gottaread is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Old 11-09-2009, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I had a reimbursement gone wrong, and they redid the math in front of me, recut a check from a different fund, then had the sup't sign it. It was fixed within twenty minutes of telling them about it. :-) That is HORRIBLE that they got it wrong; know lots of people work in a district, but each one needs their paycheck! CALL THEM BACK and stomp your foot! :-)
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

Bonuses question
Old 11-09-2009, 11:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

"Kelly is paying bonuses..."

What's Kelly's criteria for qualifying and receiving a bonus?
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 11-10-2009, 01:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The logbook is a good idea. I don't think it would help with this particular problem, though. They've never argued with me about days I've worked; they just don't notice them (or something ) when they do payroll, and then they take their time about doing anything about that.

I called them back today and left a message (of course; they never answer their phones! Probably because they're swamped with calls from subs complaining about their checks). Haven't heard anything back yet...

qudiva

Kelly
Old 11-10-2009, 03:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Kelly gives two forms of bonuses - they give out Kudo points for different things. These points are equal to one dollar used on their website of tons of stuff. I only buy gift cards on there though with my points. Last year I had about $150 worth - so it paid for my work clothes at TJ Maxx - very cool! I get points for having a certain number of assignments - for taking same day assignments - for recommending someone etc.

Also they are paying "vacation" time - in July I got a bonus for having worked 150 days - it was suppose to be like giving me a week's pay.

Three districts I know of here are paying nice bonuses for working for them a certain number of days. Still I've learned that they also don't count half days and that really screws with your totals.

Kelly has always been straight forward with me and treated me fair. Its really nice for a change!
qudiva is offline   Reply With Quote

teach smiles

Old 11-12-2009, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My district pays two weeks behind. So whatever days you worked from Oct. 15th til Oct. 31 is in my paycheck tomorrow (11/13). I always write down in my planner the following to keep track: school where I'm subbing at, teacher's name, whether it's a full or half day and the pay for the day. Each district I sub in is different, so I make sure to keep tabs on this. I always check whenever I receive my paycheck. There have been a couple mistakes before, so that has motivated me to keep a log.
teach smiles is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 11-13-2009, 01:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
I always write down in my planner the following to keep track: school where I'm subbing at, teacher's name, whether it's a full or half day and the pay for the day.
I do the same, except take out pay (it's mostly the same everywhere) and add job number and district. When I get a check, I go through and check off the days I've been paid for in a different color ink, so I can see it easily if I need to flip back.

Anyway, I finally got that check for the days that were missing! Only 2 weeks late...