Help

Substitute Teachers

No more middle school.

>

RadSub19

No more middle school.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been subbing for 3 years and I'm totally sick of working at the middle school in one district.

My list of grievances:

the sub caller doesn't know what grade levels the teachers teach! She'll call me and tell me its 5th grade and when I get to school its 7th or 8th (which I don't do!)

They always call me for 7th and 8th grade and then the secretary seems mad at me when I say no...see above! I don't like it! My personality doesn't mesh with that age! Don't call me...don't waste your time.

I used to try to get there early, like 15-20 min early to get my stuff put away, use the bathroom, look over plans etc. The secretary told me that it wasn't advantageous for me to get there so early because "the janitors don't have the doors unlocked yet!" So now I go in at the last second...and run around like a chicken with my head cut off! GAHHH!

And last but not least, the constantly change my job assignment without telling me. They may WARN me that it might happen...but I don't know 100% who I'll be until I get to school in the morning. For example, Friday I was told I was going to be one person, but if someone else called off, I'd be switched. I came in this morning and lo and behold!!! I was NOT who I thought I'd be.

ALSO today, the teacher's lesson plans were NOT up to date. The plans were confusing and some of the lessons had already been completed!!!!!!! So I tried to go ahead and do the next lesson and the kids freak out because I don't do things the same as the teacher. This was learning support. Most of the time, these kids are awesome! Small groups, fun lessons. But today it was awful. I will NOT sub for this teacher again.

Please note that this district is short on subs at the moment. They are advertising for more subs. But they are going to have a hard time getting subs into the MS due to the horrible way they treat us.

OK I've vented! I think I'm going to quit taking assignments for the MS. I don't get paid enough for this #$%*! hahaha!

RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bertie

let them know
Old 11-09-2009, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The district is short on subs and you know why. It would be a great idea to tell them so they can work on fixing that problem. Is there an admin or district person you would feel comfortable telling? Or maybe an anonymous note starting "I know you are short on subs and I'm going to tell you why"?
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 11-09-2009, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

welcome to my world....I seldom go to a particular MS school too for this reason exactly....and then they wonder why subs don't come back...hey we DO talk ya' know......

I sub in other districts and let me tell ya' the teachers have to have lessons left for the sub if they don't the grade leader is informed and the teacher is put on notice to NOT do this again...they reallly appreciate the hard work us subs do...the grade leader even makes it a point to check in to make sure everything is available!!!!
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetosub

Bummer!
Old 11-10-2009, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That sounds frustrating. And each district is soooooo different. I've been switched often. Once I showed up to find that the job they had for me had been cancelled. No one told me!

I added a new district a year ago, and I LOVE the way they treat subs, Especially at the MS level. First, the curriculum/department coordinator stops by first thing to make sure we can find everything and if we have any questions. Second, they offer coffee. That I don't have to pay for. Third, I'm not invisible to the other teachers. They actually greet me in the hallway and ask how it's going. Fourth, one of the teachers told me that every teacher in the district, K through 12, must update their emergency sub plans every month. I know, I know, I'm bragging at this point, but I'm in absolute heaven in this district. Don't you wish Everyone could be this nice?....
lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachermom65

Old 11-10-2009, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

OMG, that sounds fantastic!

Teachermom65 is offline   Reply With Quote

teach smiles

Old 11-12-2009, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't blame you for not wanting to do middle school. I do it as an absolute last resort and the middle school where I sub at occasionally has pretty well-behaved kids.

I will take the pre-school - 5th graders anyday!
teach smiles is offline   Reply With Quote

wnlbutterfly

Old 11-15-2009, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I quit doing high school for many of the same reasons. It wasn't the students as much as poor lesson plans, if any. The person in charge of subs never knew what was going on. You were always locked out of your room until the last minute. They would shuffle you during the day as well. Just would throw me off completely, which is pretty hard to do since as a substitute we are used to something different nearly every day.
wnlbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote