Help

Substitute Teachers

Am I being neurotic?

>

Kataqueens

Am I being neurotic?
Old 11-09-2009, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

When the school I regularly sub at doesn't book me in advance, they'll have me requested on Smartfind Express. This evening, a job at the school popped up, but I wasn't the requested sub. Last week I used the Smart Board in an ELA class, but only with the assistance and permission of the student teacher. I mentioned this in my notes to the teacher, and I'm sure the student teacher reported on what happened during the day. Do you think the school banned me for using the Smart Board? I am really worried about this, because as many of you know, I was banned last spring from a school for giving out science fair grades (we've been through this many times). The student teacher was the one who suggested using the Smart Board, so it wasn't like I just decided to overstep my boundaries as "the sub." What does everyone think?

Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

K it's only a smartboard
Old 11-09-2009, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I followed your posts from when you were kicked out of the old school...as long as you have written down what happened I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Have you called the school? I know something like what happened at the other school can shake somebody's confidence in how much they can teach/use the materials in a classroom---if this teacher feels you overstepped your "boundaries as a sub" then don't go there again...it's not worth the worry.

I've always wanted to use a smartboard but they're rare here...I've only seen them in one science class and that's turned off when the teacher's not there...SHUCKS!!!!
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

Old 11-09-2009, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I used the Smart Board on Thursday, and was also there on Friday. This is the only school I go to now because I am uncomfortable with going to new locations every day. In other words, I would rarely work if this school banned me. I am one for having a good rapport with students, staff and schools, and I'm not keen on jumping around different schools and getting confused and ridiculed for not knowing every single nuance of each school.

And it was the student teacher, not I, who suggested using the Smart Board. It wasn't like I damaged anything by using it. The teacher didn't leave enough work for a double period class, and since English is my certification area and I had something on me to teach, I conducted a successful lesson. I thought it went so well, that I mention it in my latest cover letter. Unless he decided to blackmail me and claim I misused it; I'm not a very trusting person after what happened last spring. I'm writing this very fast, so I apologize if it doesn't make too much sense. I'm supposed to have assignments at this school on Thursday and Friday, so if I was really banned I wonder how they'd go about cancelling the jobs.
subczy

subczy

what?? no!
Old 11-09-2009, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't know anything about the science fair grade stuff but as far as using the smart board - if it is what we use as a smart board (the brand name is actually smart board and it hangs on the wall like a chalk board or in on a rolling stand) then what is the issue? If you are trained or can figure it out why wouldn't you use it? We have smart boards and intelliboards in our dist. Most subs who weren't otherwise employees aren't familiar w/ them so they don't often write plans including them for subs but if they know you know how to use them they use them in their plans as they normally would. Esp for the younger kids they are a regular part of the assign.

BTW, our dist. has regular training for smart board and intelliboard for teachers and aides that are new to the dist. and I am sure you could join in if you just ask. They are free (except you'd miss work and not get paid) but it would be a tool you could use in the classroom.

Kataqueens

Old 11-09-2009, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I know it sounds crazy, but I'm just worried. Just like in the other school, the grade A.P doesn't like me, and she would probably be happy to be rid of my presence. She makes condescending remarks to me all the time. The parallels are uncanny: two schools with two A.P's who don't like me, and something seemingly innocent that becomes my demise.

YILuv2Teach

Old 11-09-2009, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If you saw a job, I would assume that they didn't ban you. Who knows why you weren't requested, but as long as you can still pick up jobs from the school, I don't think you need to worry.
YILuv2Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

Old 11-09-2009, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

But I wasn't able to pick up the job, it was "in callout," meaning it was being offered to someone else. It was in callout for a good ten minutes before someone took it.

yoohoo

Old 11-09-2009, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

how about giving the sec'y a ring tomorrow to find out what happened? How big is the school? Is this for Elem.? MS? HS? What's wrong with trying other schools? I understand you being hesitant about going out there but remember, putting all your eggs into one basket might not be a good idea....
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

Old 11-09-2009, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This is a middle school. I'm trying to see if calling up is the best option, as I am booked for the school on Thursday and Friday. If I really was banned, would they call me to cancel at this point? The reason why I don't go to other schools is because, well, I HAVE gone to a few others, and it was pretty unpleasant. This is the only school where I don't feel like I'm walking on eggshells...until now. Maybe I should just quit substitute teaching altogether and work full-time while looking for a permanent position? Subbing turns me into a nervous wreck, from the unstable schedule to worrying about offending anyone, it also pains me to have to sit back and hand out worksheets when what I really want to do is TEACH a class. This past Thursday was the first time in a while where I actually had the chance to TEACH.
Jobseeker

Jobseeker

Old 11-10-2009, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm with you on the paranoia. I'm always worried about doing the wrong thing and getting banned or even just looked at unfavorably. But I seriously doubt that using the smartboard would get you banned unless you had broken something - and I think you'd know it if you had.