Substitute Teachers

I felt totally warm and fuzzy today!

>

ciounoi

I felt totally warm and fuzzy today!
Old 11-11-2009, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I really did!

I was a learning support teacher today. I had a group of 5th grade boys who I had been warned ahead of time could be, well, 5th grade boys. So I bribed them and said if they did a good job, I'd have something nice for them. They were fairly well-behaved so I broke out my McDonald's Halloween coupons... still have one or two, and let them pick. The one boy COULD NOT BELIEVE IT. He must have said three times... are these real? Finally I showed him the expiration date on the back and assured him it was legit. He actually ended up not taking one because what he wanted had been taken already... but he was sooooo thankful... in fact, so thankful that I began to worry if such things might be against school policy... hopefully not since they're just coupons, not the actual food!

Then a little later I was working one on one with a third grader who I'm assuming had a touch of autism - weird speech, little bit of stimming, etc. He was soooo sweet! We were talking about wetlands and he worked so well, it was so cute. Once we finished, though, he too said "thank you for working with me today!"

Awww, I felt really warm and fuzzy today. It's the little things that count.

ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 11-11-2009, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

be extremely about what you pass out to kids...it might come back to bite you. you don't know if the parents are against food like this and make a negative report to the teacher or principal.

The other day I was eating some M&M's (in the 5th grade) and forgot to NOT eat in front of them (it was after their lunch period)...and some of the students commented on how much they would love to eat some.

Being cautious, I explained to them that I can't pass out candy because of food allergies (the candies are made in factories where peanuts are used). HEHEHEHH!!!! That was my way around not giving out food.

I;m glad you made a connection with the other student---it's students like this that makes to job worthwhile.
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Nuclear Sub

Old 11-17-2009, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It is true: there are some genuinely good, well-mannered students out there. Sweet kids. I've had students say "please" "thank you" and "bye [my name] have a good day!" I've had some remember me from two months ago and say "Oh hi Mrs [my name]!"

Money can't pay me enough for those rewards. :-)
Nuclear Sub is offline   Reply With Quote