Substitute Teachers

stingy w/ info

>

subczy

subczy

stingy w/ info
Old 11-12-2009, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I feel so stingy. I love helping people, but honestly we have a few more subs than last year and a few less jobs to go around. I have many subs who are friends (were before we subbed) and also subs who I am friendly with. Many ask how i get my jobs. Honestly, I am not gonna share that. I feel so bad, but I need to protect my interests though. do you think I am jsut awful or do you do the same? I just tell them I refresh aesop as much as possible. And no, I have no aesop cking system or anything. It isn't like these fellow subs are 18 yrs old they are mostly older than me in fact. i just feel like I have worked hard on my skills with people and how I do things - why should I give that to my competition?

I do answer questions, if they ask, about HOW i do my job sub as leaving detailed reports, tricks I have learned in classrm mgmt. that sort of things, but GETTING the jobs is the first step.

And another thing for a few friends (2) i did pass on jobs to them (not through aesop) that I coudln't do b/c of time - they get out too late for me to take them. to help them get their start w/ subbing and they said thanks, but now they want more jobs and the friends THEY have recommended to subbing b/c it is so "easy" want jobs and advice too. Sorry ladies, I love ya but I am not gonna help the competition!

Anyone else feel this way? I knwo there is no harm in asking, but please realize that when the demand for subs go down (as our trend is right now in our dist) I am gonna consider you competition. Okay, blast me about how hateful I am. lol

Smiling Sub

I don't think you are being stingy :)
Old 11-12-2009, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You are correct, it is very competitive out there so unfortunately, you do need to look out for number one! It sounds like you have been more than helpful to your friends...

I am also happy to answer questions about subbing but how I get my jobs is another story I too have worked hard to build relationships with teachers but unlike you, I do use a few AESOP helpers I don't talk about it to other subs in my district because if everyone knows about them, then they won't be as "helpful".

When people ask, I just tell them that I was on AESOP at the right time I don't feel that it is my job to help other people find a job. As it is, the district I sub in is saturated with substitutes and even with my helpers, I don't always get a job everyday (like today for instance!!).
Smiling Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

yeah...
Old 11-12-2009, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I hate when people ask me that!!!

Last year I was hired for two weeks solid to be a testing coordinator for state tests. Much more responsibilities than I had LAST YEAR when I had a group of kids I administered the test to. A sub who was hired for test administration asked me snottily "So how did YOU get that job?" I replied, "Uhhh, I did what you did last year and apparently I did a good job and was recommended for this one."

This year that sub is doing a LTS in another elem school in the district and I DO NOT envy her! It seems like she has a tough group of kids and she is still only getting sub pay for the year. I thought she was full time and contracted.

If anyone asks me how I got the job...I just tell them...they asked me and I said yes!

There is competition among subs...but this year I've come to the realization that they don't really care too much about what sub is where. They only want warm bodies anymore. I've been subbing for 3 years...and I'm a great teacher. I've worked my butt off in order to show the Administration that I was serious about being a full time teacher. But they still keep me on the sub list along with some crazies!!! And other people who have subbed for a couple of months with emergency teaching certifications get the full time jobs. I know how they got the jobs...they know the right people.
RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote
GTG

GTG

Sub Job Information
Old 11-12-2009, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I totally agree--you never give away all your tactics--help people as much as possibLe--do not let them pump you for free information.

I had a veteran teacher whose wife just started subbing ask me how I got my jobs--she always sees --NO JOB OPENINGS AVAILABLE ONLINE-- she subs in another district.

You have to be alert and attentive--and pay constant attention--sometimes people see you walking in the hall and ask you to work for them--also make conversation with coaches, paras, and secretaries

Kinder1

Old 11-12-2009, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The school district that I am subbing for currently is very small. As a result, the principal or the secretary calls and asks you. Luckily, I don't have to always check the computer. Therefore, I don't have to keep secrets the trick to be called is to do a good job and be recognized.

Kinder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 11-12-2009, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

smiling sub---AESOP helpers? ....

as for pumping for info. I hear ya'll.....I'll have newbie subs who are coming fresh out of school asking how you get jobs...and the answer is...just keep looking on AESOP and hand out your personal information like a telephone number and it doesn't hurt if you do an outstanding job and the teachers get feedback from other co workers about your work ethic.

Never complain (to another teacher or personnel in the building) is another big doozie that subs should know about (unless they put you in Siberia) I.E. I was asked one time to sub for a specials class that I've never subbed in so I was fine with it...let's put it this way....when they asked me to do it again...I firmly said "NO THANK YOU." and then the sec'y told me that I'm NOT the only one to turn it down
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

3of3

Old 11-13-2009, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Most of my jobs are call backs, nowadays very little comes up on subfinder, but I stay busy consistently 4-5 days a week. I have had other subs give me their card and ask if I would pass it along to teachers in the event I was not available. I have done this but I do feel it cuts into my job pool as well. The bottom line is that we all have to be concerned with our own situation knowing that we are dependent upon our own reputation. I think that is the best way to get jobs. I don't use a Jobulator, some jobs I definately don't want and cancelling a lot can hurt you. I don't think protecting your income is being hateful at all!
3of3 is offline   Reply With Quote

red leaf

Helper?
Old 11-13-2009, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What is the Aesop Helper? Is this the jobulator I keep hearing about?
red leaf is offline   Reply With Quote

red leaf

answering my own question
Old 11-14-2009, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Looked up jobulator, applied for free trial, and was told it was not enabled in my district. Oh well. It sounds helpful.
red leaf is offline   Reply With Quote