Substitute Teachers

ANGRY student

>

newsubstitut

newsubstitut

ANGRY student
Old 11-12-2009, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had something interesting happen today. There was this bright talkative student in my class that I was subbing for. He was very polite and very smart. Always raising his hand but then it was like Jekyl and Hyde! He went from being so happy to becoming my first ANGRY-outburst student ever. He flipped out because the student next to him said something that annoyed him. She denied it but I am sure she did say something to him. He reacted over the top and screamed that she was a liar at the top of his lungs. He proceeded to huff and puff and ranted off that the student was provoking him. I tried to talk to him and calm him down but he was in the "red zone" and nothing I said was helping. His class-mates were telling him to calm down but you could tell they were starting to get a little riled up. I moved the student sitting next to him away and told her not to say anything to him. Then after 5 mins. he finally decided that he wanted to go sit in a corner of a room to cool down. I assume something like this has happened before since he told me that he needed to cool down. While in teh corner, he kicked and thrashed around while he was over there. After about 10 mins. he rejoined on his own but he was still a little upset but continued to do his work. Then I allowed him to go on the computer and play a math game. He was FINE after playing for 20 mins. on the computer. I kept giving him positive comments about him completing his work and stayed calm the whole time. I guess I am just posting this to see if there was anything else I could have done or said to him. I never felt out of control but I can see if a student acts uncontrollablely how it could escalate into something worse. BTW this is my 2nd time substitute teaching. Thanks for any advice.

Tea"cheer"

Old 11-12-2009, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hmm...I'm wondering if perhaps he receives services from the EBD program. What he did sounds EXACTLY like a student I have this year. If so, you handled it all perfectly. When a child gets in a state like that, most likely anything you say will not help. They just need time and he obviously knew that's what he needed when he chose to go sit by himself. If this is a school that you sub in regularly, you may want to speak to his regular teacher and see if there is anything she does. She also might need that information for documentation. My guess is that if he acted like that, this was NOT the first time.
Tea"cheer" is offline   Reply With Quote

Augustus

Old 11-12-2009, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Remember that "black button" in the other thread? Well, these are the occasions that they are used. However, I think I would have done as you did except I would have phoned the office at the first break. I don't know if I would want the students to see me calling the office and trying to listen to what I said. I do think you should have gotten some help at the first opportunity.
Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachermom65

Old 11-14-2009, 03:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sounds like you handled this really well! Especially for your second day subbing. Great job!
Teachermom65 is offline   Reply With Quote