Help

Substitute Teachers

Double Half Days

>

vocalstudent

Double Half Days
Old 11-12-2009, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does your district do double half days? Mine does. It can be a tad bit stressful when it's two at two different school sites. We only have half days or full days, not any other time allotments. This means we are always 5-10 or more minutes late to the second half day. The district plans this , but we always have to call the school to let them know. Its all fine and dandy most of the time.

One time a teacher got mad at me when I was doing a double half day in the same school. I had to wait for the teacher to come back so of course I couldn't leave the kids alone so I was at her class a whole 5 minutes later than I was supposed to be. It was very stressful!

vocalstudent is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 11-12-2009, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

that's happened to me before..usually the teacher's are very understanding about this (esp. in the MS level)...but every once in a while you'll get a teacher who loves (and I mean just loves to roll their eyes)...one of those, "ohhh, why did they do that!!!" like I know....

if I had all the answers...I'd be rich!!! HAHAHA
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

vocalstudent

Old 11-12-2009, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If its one thing I can't stand its a RUUDEEE teacher! Especially over something that I have no control over. I just try to be as polite and professional as possible.
vocalstudent is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 11-12-2009, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I totally get what you mean...lucky for me I also moonlight at another job and consider subbing as a "side job".....too much cr#p for me to deal with and A$$ kissing is not my strong point...I made sure that I don't aspire to get a classroom solely based on how much cr#p I can take rather I want to get a room based on merit......and if in the end I only get day to days---then I'm happy because I didn't sacrifice myself or my sense of self for nothing
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Super Sub

Old 11-12-2009, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've done plenty of doubles. Usually both are in the same school. I'll take them in two different schools if their schedules will allow. If their lunches fall at the right time then I will have drive time. I'm not more than 15 minutes from any school so I can get there quickly. The best times are when I'm in the same school for both and get a lunch period in both halves!

Super Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

this usually only happens...
Old 11-13-2009, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

when there is a teacher new to our dist or new to using aesop(not all schools in our dist choose to participate) and what happens is the teacher thinks half day as working until lunch so she plans you until the lunch break - usually around noon. the problem w/ that is our a.m. as subs ends at 11:39 and our p.m. begins at 11:40. yeah, kinda hard to get to that other assign when you got kids, a plan, and no reg. teacher until noon. usually once we explain it then it doesn't happen again.

although....i have had it happen twice w/ the same teacher. I think she saw i wasn't scheduled in the p.m. and thought it owuld be okay I finally had to tell her, if I work even one min past 11:40 then I am going to get paid for the full afternoon. (I actually turn down her jobs now but wanted her to know how ANY sub would feel about that)
MzSub

MzSub

Old 11-13-2009, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Our half-days are 4 hours, so they overlap by much more than a few minutes. I don't think I've heard of anyone doing double half-days in my district.

grav_def

Old 11-13-2009, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

^ Ditto. In my district, AM and PM half days in the same building overlap by 20-30 minutes. (Eg., AM=8:15-12:00; PM=11:30-3:15) I don't know whose brilliant idea that was. But anyway, SmartFind won't schedule you if the times overlap. Not all schools are on the same schedule, so it is occasionally possible to make it work out, but it would be very difficult and I've never managed to do it here.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

3of3

Old 11-13-2009, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have two double half days scheduled for next wed and thurs..am until10am -pm 12:45 until 2:45-It's at a middle school and I am looking forward to the nice long lunch break!
3of3 is offline   Reply With Quote

red leaf

Um...
Old 11-13-2009, 09:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

This sounds insane. What were they thinking?

red leaf is offline   Reply With Quote