Saw a lot of kids from student teaching today! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Saw a lot of kids from student teaching today!

>

RadSub19

Saw a lot of kids from student teaching today!
Old 11-13-2009, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today I didn't sub but I observed in a high school library for one of my grad classes.

Two classes of freshman Social Studies classes came in to use the library for a project.
I noticed a lot of kids who I had taught when they were in 6th grade...my student teaching assignment in college. This was 3 years ago..so no one really said anything to me. (Some kids recognized me the other day when I was subbing...but not today)

It got me thinking about how the cooperating teacher told me on the last day of student teaching that she passed me because "you need to get a job." I was DEVASTATED. I cried my eyes out when I got in the car to go home that day. I thought I was a failure. But after subbing for 3 years, I know I'm a good teacher.

its funny to think back now on how she made me feel...then see all the kids who I taught. They made it to high school...I guess I didn't screw them up too bad!

RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Smiling Sub

What a comment! A few thoughts...
Old 11-13-2009, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am glad that you know that you are a good teacher and were able to move past that horrible comment your cooperating teacher made to you. Was it really necessary for her to say that to you???? I would have cried my eyes out too I'm sorry you had this experience. Doesn't sound like she was a very supportive teacher...

I had a great cooperating teacher She was very supportive and wonderful... She built up my confidence in myself as a teacher and encouraged me to try new things. I think that is what a cooperating teacher should do. Just because you have many years experience teaching does not mean you will be a good cooperating teacher or even should be a cooperating teacher.

Prior to my student teaching experience, I had heard horrible stories from other people about their experiences as Student Teachers and I was petrified but now I look back on it as one of my best college experiences.
Smiling Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 11-13-2009, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

good for you!!! Don't let the comments of a few cloud your own judgment about what you're capable of...I have a similar experience...

towards the end of my student teaching days...I had a chance to sit down with the teacher about her impressions of me and she basically came out and said that teaching was not my cup of tea!!! Thank you for your support...uhhh let's see..this is coming from a teacher that felt it was more important to find tire rims than help me plan my lessons for the next month....yeesshhh!!!!!

guess what???!!!--I am a sub and lovin' it...the kids that I was with when I was a student teacher still remember me and tell me how much they missed me when they see me (they're now in MS and I see them in the hallways)>>>

so to the teacher NA NA NA NAA!!!!!
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Me too
Old 11-13-2009, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My professor while I was student teaching (not the master teacher) put me in a classroom with a teacher who was not expecting a student teacher. It was an awful 8 weeks, plus I was pregnant, and at the end the prof. told me I would not be a good teacher and was very nasty to me. Have to admit, I knew I would finish the program, but wasn't sure I would ever want to do that again. Luckily, my second placement was wonderful, the prof. much nicer, and the master teacher very kind. Even thought I never taught full time, I have very much enjoyed subbing for several years and will continue to do so.

And this prof's mission statement was to support her students on the way to becoming teachers. She never gave me an evaluation to fill out about her teaching, either. I know it was purposeful because I saw her give one to a fellow student teacher. Ah, bad memories.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

red leaf

Guess I was lucky
Old 11-13-2009, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I student taught with three different teachers and not only were they fabulous educators, but they were very supportive and I absorbed each of the teaching styles and made it my own. What a difference we each are capable of making.
I ran into one of my first students from student teaching at a party last summer and she knew exactly who I was...18 years later!!

red leaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachermom65

Old 11-14-2009, 03:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I also had a negative student teaching experience - and thankfully was removed from the situation and reassigned to a wonderful mentor teacher. My 2nd mentor teacher actually told me that there are teachers who enjoy taking down student teachers. Some sort of sick game. It's great that you believed in yourself and marched forward.
Teachermom65 is offline   Reply With Quote