Help

Substitute Teachers

Do you support yourself subbing?

>

red leaf

Do you support yourself subbing?
Old 11-18-2009, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Are you supporting yourself by subbing? Is it working?
Are your basic expenses already covered and you use your subbing income for extras?

I am trying to support myself subbing and it's working this month, but often I've had to scrounge up other kinds of work to make ends meet. And I'm a master at living happily on a shoestring, but sometimes the string is way too short! I sub for private schools, and would work the public school district if I could, but the word is the only subs they are using now are from the pool of teachers they laid off!! This year I got hired by Kelly Educational services which has helped supplement the few jobs I get (around here Kelly only does private schools). I know the private schools keep huge sub pools so they can be sure to find coverage when lots of people are out. Like radsub's previous message, I'm contemplating finding a different job. I would love to have my own classroom, but there are no full time jobs to apply for now. Everyone is hanging tight to what they have.

red leaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Smiling Sub

Well...
Old 11-18-2009, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am married so my situation is a little different. I am able to substitute because my husband has a full time job. If I was single and on my own, I would not be able to support myself through subbing alone because the work in the district I sub for is not steady. Right now, there are too many substitutes and not enough jobs. Basically, I am using subbing as a way to get my foot in the door, but like you said, right now there just aren't any full time jobs available.
Smiling Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

lololo
Old 11-18-2009, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

No. Working every single day willing to take any sub job there is I could not support myself in this dist. on this pay. (neither coudl the paras or aides which make less than subs). I do have another job besides subbing and I work from home. I do NEED my jobs but w/o my dh I would have only enough for a 1 bdrm apt and peanut butter to eat and guess I'd have to sell off my children. There'd be NO car, no insurance, no new clothes, nothing. AND I'd have to find work for the days school is out - a 3rd pt job. Sounds fun huh! (btw, I have had jobs in the past that paid VERY well. I do subbing b/c I like it!)

For ret. teachers sub is great. nO matter how much you work you will nto exceed your social security cut off income. For the rest of us, it stinks.

teach smiles

Old 11-18-2009, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have been able to support myself off of subbing. Mind you, I have had a couple long term replacement positions which is increased salary, but when those positions are finished, I am back to regular sub pay. I qualified for unemployment over a year ago, so when there's weeks where there's no subbing or holidays, I am still able to get a little bit of money. I also supplement subbing, with babysitting, dog sitting, etc.

I am very good about budgeting and saving when I can. Also, I am single, pay rent, and live with my two roommates and pay my own healthcare. It's tough, but I'm managing.
teach smiles is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

trying to!
Old 11-18-2009, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was trying to this year. I used to live with my brother and we split the bills...that was fine. Now I'm living alone and having troubles making ends meet. I started out subbing 3 years ago in hopes of finding a permanent job. Many failed interviews later...I'm just subbing to make money. I am looking for a full time job that is consistent...I don't really care if its in school or not right now. I need a job that I can go to every day.

RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 11-18-2009, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've been supporting myself, more or less, subbing for nearly 3 years now. I'm lucky to be working in an area that pays subs pretty well, and I work fairly regularly. I also have a full-time summer job, and during the school year I've had various side jobs tutoring, babysitting, etc. for a little extra cash.

It mostly works. I certainly can't afford everything I'd like to have (and I don't mean any kind of luxuries!), and I really wish I could make more progress on getting out of debt*, but on the other hand I haven't starved to death yet and I'm not living in a cardboard box, so I can't complain too much.

* Debt is mostly student loans and credit card bills that I stupidly ran up, mostly buying things like groceries and gas, during grad school. If I didn't have that to worry about, I could actually be living a lot more comfortably now.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

No
Old 11-18-2009, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Without additional support, assistance or income, you can't possibly live on sub pay very long...
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

mstngmom

I have no choice. . . .
Old 11-18-2009, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My DH retired from the military and gets a pension, he lost his civilian job in june though, so after we pay the bills, there is not much left. we usually have 100 or less to make it through the month. If my family wants to eat, I have to try to live off my subbing income, even though it is meager.
I am hoping that the economy picks up and schools will start hiring people soon. I have been trying to find something full-time for 2.5 yrs, and still nothing but dead end interviews.
mstngmom is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

No, I can't
Old 11-19-2009, 11:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

support myself by subbing, but have some retired teacher income. I may be needing to find more jobs soon as my husband is having some health problems and we're not sure how much longer he'll be able to work.

If I was on my own, I'd be putting together as many jobs as I can find.
One thing to look forward to for folks wanting a full time position: lots of baby boom teachers are retiring or will soon--creating lots of new jobs.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Nuclear Sub

Old 11-23-2009, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My main job is teaching private music lessons after school hours, and I sub a few days a week.

My finace, a certified teacher, currently subs full time and makes ends meet. He got laid off along with a few thousand other teachers. :-/

Nuclear Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

ckosu

Old 11-23-2009, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I think you can if, and only if, you have various other side jobs. I tutor Monday through Thursday and don't get home until 6:00 each night. Its difficult, but I love my job so I just keep doing it.
ckosu is offline   Reply With Quote