Help

Substitute Teachers

Know your emergency procedures!

>

grav_def

Know your emergency procedures!
Old 11-18-2009, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been meaning to post this as a reminder for about a week. And I know you all know it's important, but I also know that sometimes mornings are really chaotic and with the 7000 other things I need to do before the kids get in, I might forget/not bother to look over evacuation plans, etc.

However, a school in my district burned down--there was a real fire, which destroyed the building to the point where it is unusable--during school hours last week. Everyone got out safely, and when it became clear that the fire wasn't going to be put out quickly they walked the kids to a nearby library and called parents to pick them up, and they've already moved the whole school to an empty building in another neighborhood, so it's more or less a happy ending. But it got me thinking about fire drills, etc., because I spent two days teaching kindergarten in that building the week before the fire. The what-ifs are just...terrifying. So please just be aware that it CAN happen, and know what to do in case it does. Just a friendly reminder.

grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

subczy

oh man...
Old 11-18-2009, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

glad everyone was okay.

yes, I posted osmehwere else about this...you also need to have the key to your classroom. We have had armed people loose in one of our buildings before and gone under lockdown. We have also had several irate parents who burst into the school and go sorta nutso and again, gone into lock down. Some of our schools don't generally give keys to the subs. MOst of our buildings require doors closed and locked at all times but some of them don't follow tha tpolicy and are very relaxed. I'd rather be able to lock the door to keep someone out rather than choose throwing myself in front of the kids if faced w/ a gunman.

Have we learned nothing from school shootings over the years? Ask for a key!

-fishnic

Old 11-18-2009, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

my biggest problem is keeping track of the students in my class. every 15 minutes it seems a group of at least 2-3 students return to or leave from the class. it is insane. (plus we are expected to teach during keeping track of all this?) so far the only way i have been able to do it is to keep track of at least the number of students that appear to be in my control. more than a few times if an emergency would come up at least i could do a head count. any secrets for keeping this under control in such a chaotic district?
-fishnic is offline   Reply With Quote

PSub

2 stories
Old 11-21-2009, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

1. Where I taught yrs ago we had a tornado RIGHT AT THE DISMISSAL BELL. Chaos..some kids on busses, in halls, etc. Blue sky on one side of the building, tornado on the other. We couldn't have accounted for kids if we had too ... thankfully, it wasn't a bad tornado, just barely touched down on top of the school across the street.

We always practice drills at the best times ... when all kids are in classes. I say practice during lunch hours, practice before school when kids are usually corralled somewhere, etc!!

2. Same school...bomb threat. Both schools had to evacuate (and it was freezing cold .. some poor kids in PE clothes!). HS kids were leaving in their cars and then picking up younger siblings at the other school. By some miracle no kids were unaccounted for as far as I know.
PSub is offline   Reply With Quote