Help

Substitute Teachers

Just accepted a job out of desperation!

>

RadSub19

Just accepted a job out of desperation!
Old 11-18-2009, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I accepted a job in the middle school that I complained about here on PT! I'm desperate.
Its for a 5th/6th learning support teacher....remember I told you about the horrible time I had in learning support last week??? yeah...this teacher is the same grade but its reading and english instead.

I took the job because I don't have anything lined up on that day. Its early in the second week of December. The MS secretary wanted me to talk to the teacher tomorrow about subbing that day. I have to sub tomorrow and Friday as the MS librarian (yay!). I really don't want to sub for this teacher considering how my day went last week for her counterpart. The kids were argumentative, the lesson plans I was given were already completed, I had to cover classes on my prep etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, which option is LESS rude??

1. Tell the secretary tomorrow that something came up and I can't work that day after all

2. Talk to the teacher tomorrow and have her tell me her plans....then wait till the night before to call off...and tell them I was called to work in another district.

RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

red leaf

been there!
Old 11-18-2009, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

#1 is honest, something came up alright, the post-desperation coming to your senses.
I did the same thing a few weeks ago, taking a job in a class I disliked, but it ended up they had already given it to someone else and posted it again accidentally (or so they said).

However, you might try option #3, which is give it another chance. Maybe it was a seriously off day all the way around. Maybe it will click into place this time, and if not, then never take it again. That was my rationalization for accepting in a similar situation.
red leaf is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

well...
Old 11-18-2009, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

considering I'd be seeing the same kids that I saw that day...I don't think I even want to try it.

PLUS this english teacher came to "check on me" ONCE all day long. Actually it was just in the AM now that I think of it. She plunked a kid down in my room and told me to watch him and force him to do his work.

yoohoo

Old 11-18-2009, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

it can't hurt to try again....I had a horrible first impression when I subbed in a 8th gr. class...the teacher got wind of it and personally apologized to me (he made them do extra work for p####ing me off) and asked me to give them another chance....

I was skeptical but I did it anyway and it was great!!!! It all depends on how the teacher handles sub complaints---if you go in again and they stink then you will know to never go back...it's not worth the aggravation
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Augustus

Old 11-18-2009, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am known at almost all the schools I go into. But years ago I would get classes like those. I would try to stay calm and hand out detention and send people out, etc. And sometimes I dealt with a lot of things. I am sure that after that first day those kids thought they would not see me again. I would go back and I am sure many of them were surprised. The first guy who started with me went out, and here we go again. But, then they realized that I was not going to take anything from anyone. As long as they acted like that they were leaving. Now I am known and I seldom have to say too much.
The secrets are 1) have admin that supports you 2) stay calm and unruffled 3) be a large intimidating man and perhaps 4) be stricter than there teacher.
If admin doesn't like it that you have sent half a dozen kids to the office that day then go somewhere else and leave them to their little idiots.
It isn't easy to stay calm, but if you take your time and don't react to everything right away it is easier. And smile at them. Drives them nuts.
I am large, but I have known some small women who could handle any class. "You had better speak right to her or she just kicks you right out!"
I don't know how many times paras have told me, "they aren't this quiet for her."
But I do agree that often it just isn't worth the aggravation. I feel that as a group the kids are getting worse as the years go by.

Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

well now...
Old 11-19-2009, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm only 5 feet tall...i'm a tiny girl. I think I hold my own in the classroom and some of these kids I've been seeing for 3 years. They know me and know I don't like when they act up.

With this group of kids there are some real stinkers. One minute you're chatting nicely with them...and the next they start arguing with you about how you run the class.

This particular school has had 3 principals in the last 3 years too...so I'm sure that hasn't helped with the admin support of subs.

Augustus

Old 11-20-2009, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

years ago I went into a middle school where the principal stocked the halls. He would stroll into the back of a class and stand there for just maybe thirty seconds, long enough for most kids to notice him. And then he would stroll out. It did wonders for that school. Now I go into schools and the kids don't even know who is principal. The admin will tell you they don't have enough time. That sounds like a poorly managed school. If the principal is not delegating enough duties then he is a poor manager. And I see too many meetings and committees in school. That is a sure sign of a badly run corporation so why would a school be any different.
Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote

gottaread

AWOL principals...
Old 11-20-2009, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Most schools I sub at seem to have AWOL principals. One exception to this rule is a school at which I love to sub. The principal is very 'present' and involved. He knows ALL the kids names. He actually stops by every time and sub and says 'thanks for being here today' ! Now THAT's a nice way to start the day. Last week I was subbing for the librarian. The library in this school is a big square room in the middle of the school around which two hallways sit, so it's a big room open on two sides. The principal was observing the hallways during lunchtime and wandered over to chat. Before he left I stopped him and said "by the way...I want to tell you that of all the schools I sub for, you are the ONLY principal this is visible and knows exactly what's going on at all times...and I appreciate being here because your school is a very positive place to be". I thought he would fall over! He thanked me and said that he feels that's his job. I think he was stunned that somebody noticed and complimented him. (they must get about as much feedback as we do as subs!!
gottaread is offline   Reply With Quote