Help

Substitute Teachers

Very bad, awful day

>

Art/Eng guy

Very bad, awful day
Old 11-18-2009, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Had a MS assignmnet today, and no matter what I tried, I could not get a couple of classes to quiet down. Finally another staff member came in and quieted them, made me feel pretty ineffectual. I don't know what else I could have done? Just whining sorry.

Art/Eng guy is offline   Reply With Quote

YILuv2Teach

Old 11-18-2009, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sometimes I think it doesn't matter what you do, they just need to hear it from someone else to finally get the message to be quiet.
YILuv2Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

sometimes...
Old 11-18-2009, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

as long as they are contained int he room and not too loud I just let it roll of me. A sub cannot be expected to instill classroom mgmt in one day. It isn't going to happen. I feel very badly for the kids hwo really want ot learn or at least don't wnat to be naughty, but I am only human and apparently temporary at that. lol At some point, and ms should be it JMHO, the kids need to do their part.

thordau4

Old 11-19-2009, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

yes, Art/Eng guy, MS is tough. They like to be famous for being horrible. IMHO, men have an edge subbing in MS. - - so keep going! I've noticed the male subs in our district do well in MS.
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 11-19-2009, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

MS is verrry tricky to deal with---you have to somehow win their approval and sometimes it means to kick them out for misbehaving...I've been known to throw kids out of the room for being down right nasty (even had the Dean of Students ask me if I've tried alternatives!!!!!) (Yeah, I only reminded the 8th grader upteen times about how to behave....)

another way I win their approval is to always:

state my name (we always forget that they don't read the board or know who we are)
let them know the assignment of the day
(here's the good part) I tell them that AFTER I get through my assignment and any attendance they can switch around and work with their friends (BIG POINTS HERE!!!!)...I can handle the noise level of the room....they will go ABOVE AND BEYOND to be with their friends...this is where it gets sticky...some people/classes can't handle this and it's hard to wrangle them back into the corral when you've let them loose

so through trial and error (if I've had a particular bad class I won't let them loose again) that's how you can get kids to work for you...IMHO

yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

qudiva

In defense of women
Old 11-19-2009, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have a couple of rules I live by in MS (which I actually love). First of all, I'm always really firm to the point of being strict. That said, I treat the kids like they really matter and already have my respect. If they try to get away with something, I give them my best "you're not seriously going to try that with me are you?" look and tone. I shut them down quick and without discussion. I never let them see me sweat and always - always appear like I know what I'm doing (even when I don't sometimes!) The minute you waver - they'll jump ya!

Also - take out the ring leader - and make it really painful and the rest will follow. Luckily we have an administration that backs subs which helps. But if you say you are going to call the principal - call him - don't back down when they quiet down. If you say you're going to write someone up - write them up.

STILL - this is important - always - always take time to listen to Middle schoolers. As they get to know you they'll want to talk and tell you what's bothering them or what's new. Usually I have time to listen so I do. I give them the respect I would an adult and they start acting more like an adult (well as much as their hormones will allow !)

ANDDDDDDDD - for the recorddddddddd - I am barely a 5 foot tall woman and NOBODY messes with me - ever! You don't have to be male to be successful in MS. You have to be confident. My breasts and ovaries haven't kept me from developing that skill. I know lots and lots of wishy washy male subs - the kids eat 'em alive!
qudiva is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 11-19-2009, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Q---I wish you were subbing here in my district...I've had too many instances in MS where the kids would have a sub that was so scared/wishy washy/fell asleep...that they think they could do the same to me...made my job 2x's as hard!!!!

Totally agree with you about following through on a threat---do it and follow thru and they will fall in line---don't and you're chopped meat and the whole class erupts into chaos...

I once had a very fresh student in my class --no matter what I did she was just rude. Moved her to the front; had a talk outside of the classroom; gave her warnings that I was going to write her up---finally, after having enough---she started a stupid antic---I told her to go to the dean's and let him deal with her (the other students begged me to NOT write her up) YEAHHHHH!!!! Riggghhhttt! Well, needless to say I wrote her up and personally delivered the incident (her friend volunteered to bring it down ---Uh, I'm not stupid!!)

Word got out that I wrote up one of theirs and the rest of the day went very well....
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
rbz

rbz

Downside of being tough
Old 11-20-2009, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

All of you are right. A middle school sub has to be firm. Having said this, I'm still a little spooked by an experience from last year. I was subbing at what I'll call Spoiled Rotten Rich Kid Middle School (although there are some students who don't fall into this category), and I had a few students who were downright obnoxious. After some warnings, I wrote up these gems and shipped them out. This sure got everyone's attention, but in the wrong way. These obnoxious kids had a lot of the others wrapped around their little fingers, and I was subjected to an organized smear campaign. I'll spare you the details, but these kids wanted to get me fired for being mean, unfair, etc. I wrote up quite a rebuttal, and nothing happened to me. Their teacher was quite angry at the students, and I don't think the principal was pleased. I'm still on the sub list for that school, but I'm not sure I want to go back.

At this school the parents of the rich kids want to run the show. They really don't give a you-know-what about the kids who aren't rich. They don't like it when someone tells them that their little darlings aren't behaving (of course, it must be the teacher's fault). They managed to get one young teacher fired who wouldn't play their game.

Art/Eng guy

Thanks everyone
Old 11-25-2009, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

for your wonderful suggestions. Since I was committed to 5 more days in the same classroom, the next morning I talked to the ring leader of the previous days chaos. I promised him first sign of his nonsense, he would be visiting the principle. Sure enough, 15 minutes into class he was gone to the office. The rest of the assignment went smooth as glass. I would even say I enjoyed my time with the middle schoolers. Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving
Art/Eng guy is offline   Reply With Quote