Help

Substitute Teachers

Covering other classes

>

TeachK-6

Covering other classes
Old 11-18-2009, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just wanted to ask if this happens to anyone else?? It seems like at least 1-2 times a week I either get totally pulled out of the job that I was supposed to do (music, Title 1, etc.) or have to fill in during my planning periods to cover other classes.

I realize that subs are in demand these days with H1N1 and all but today I got no lunch and did not have a second to eat all day because I was pulled out at the beginning of my lunch to go to another class who already had their lunch. Needless to say I came home and ate a huge dinner

TeachK-6 is offline   Reply With Quote

WenReuLau

Old 11-18-2009, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've been switched from class to class before, but the principals at my school always let me have lunch in between.
I hope it gets better for you.
WenReuLau is offline   Reply With Quote

neanea

Old 11-18-2009, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

wow, my district would be mortified if they found out I didn't get lunch. The rare times where I was called to do another class where it interfered with my lunch, the staff bent of backwards to make sure I got my break. Maybe because it is law that employers give you a lunch break.
Did you bring it to their attention that by being pulled that you would not have lunch? I had to do that once and they quickly found someone to cover so I could eat (even if it had to be a principal).
neanea is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

we may be...
Old 11-18-2009, 08:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

we may be cheap labor. We may be a mystery. But we are people and people need to eat. When no one is sticking up for you then you gotta do it yourself. Next time they poke their head in and ask you to cover a class during yoru lunch (and you agree to do it lol) say, "I'd be happy to I can be in there at 12:30, I am still eating" Give yourself at least a full 30 min to eat and potty. They can find an aide or any various warm body to cover for that short amt of time while you eat.

Think of it this way. They PROBABLY didnt' realize you'd actually stop eating and leave then. That you wouldn't geet to eat later. That you wouldn't eat in front of the kids (yeah, I do when I have to, descretly of course) etc....so if you tell them what you can do they will probably accept that and work it out AND you'll be better at your job b/c you won't have yoru tummy rumbling while doing the potty dance in whiel wondering what to say to those 50 eyes staring back at you. You will be better for it and they will respect you for it and the job you do on a full tummy.

Stand firm to your rights as a worker!!

red leaf

lunch break
Old 11-18-2009, 10:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

"Maybe because it is law that employers give you a lunch break."
So does having to eat lunch with the kids count as a lunch break? With no other breaks available during the day?
I think I don't stand up for what I need because if one complains, well, there's plenty of other subs ready to take your place next time around.

red leaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Smiling Sub

Lunch
Old 11-19-2009, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't think I've ever missed my lunch I have been pulled to cover other classes during preps, been a floater, etc., but the principal always makes sure I get a lunch even if it means pulling someone else so that I can eat.

I think that if this did happen, I would just ask them politely what time I would be able to eat my lunch. A few times, I have had the exact opposite happen... two lunch periods

I don't mind being a floater or being pulled at the last minute to cover other classes but what I do mind is when they know I am going to be a floater and they don't put it in the AESOP notes...then, they wonder why I am a little confused when they hand me a schedule of my day Why can't they just put this information in the notes section?????
Smiling Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
rbz

rbz

No free lunch!
Old 11-19-2009, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Every once in a while I've been in the same position. I once took a job that involved being in one classroom in the morning and a different one in the afternoon. The two classes had different lunch times, so I ended up with about 15 minutes in between. Between finishing my note for the morning teacher and making sure that the room was neat, running quickly to the bathroom, and reading through the sub plans for the afternoon teacher, there was very little time for lunch.

I looked it up last week, and was surprised by what I found. Some states require employers to give lunch (or meal) breaks, but many don't. Most schools want their employees (and guest employees) to have a lunch break, but I don't think they are under any legal obligation to do it. Very sad, but true. If someone can prove me wrong (and I hope someone can), please do it.

wuttadeal

I try to avoid covering other classes....
Old 11-19-2009, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It's not that I mind the work. However, the way I see it, I am being paid to substitute for a particular teacher. Apparently, some teachers see it that way as well, as I have been left things to do during their prep period. They are expecting I will cover for them and may leave copying, etc. so I can appropriately teach their classes.

When I have been called out cover another class, I have NEVER been asked if I had something that needed to get done. I have always been TOLD to go. One time, the office sent me directly to another class, before I could go to my assigned class for the day. After that class, I had 4 minutes to walk across the campus (through the halls of a large high school) to the class I was supposed to sub for and be ready to teach that period.

On the flip side, if I have a large block of time with nothing to do, I will check with the office and see if I can be of help anywhere.

Diana in OR
wuttadeal is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Lunch Law
Old 11-19-2009, 10:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Laws vary state to state. I'm thinking that most contracts call for teachers to have a duty free lunch of so many minutes. Most teachers want their lunch--because they do so many things during that time--and want to be sure everyone in school has one too.

I've been moved from place to place, but always told to be sure I get a lunch.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote