Help

Classroom Management

Seating Ideas - Behavior

>

perrbear16

Seating Ideas - Behavior
Old 01-05-2018, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So my AM class has 4 bad behavior kids and my PM class has 8! Don't even get me started on why they put them all in the same class. Even admin has admitted I have a horrible class... Another story..

So my question is, the 4-5 worst of these students interrupt the learning of all of my other students. I have students who want to learn. They try their best. But I'm constantly having to stop to address these behavior issues. I can see the frustration on the faces of the well-behaved kids. It's so frustrating.

Finding a seating chart that works has been near impossible. All of these kids argue and fight with each other and I have them spread out all over the room. The problem is, they're distracting whoever they're sitting next to.

So my question is, and maybe this is a horrible idea, what if I put them together. That way the distractors are only distracting the other distractors, not the kids that are trying to do their work?

I've tried putting 1 distractor at each table, hoping that having 3-4 well behaved kids next to them will chill them out, but it hasn't worked. I have kids actually begging me to move the distractor away from them.

Ideas? Thank you!

perrbear16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fenwick

Old 01-06-2018, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you subscribe to the idea students tend to cool it when the teacher is next to them (proximity) and go for it when the teacher is farther away then putting them all in one group will help you from running from student to student trying to put out fires. I did this with cooperative groups; behavior problems in one group of four. I knew where I was going to spend most of my time during direct instruction and guided practice. Once they realized they couldn't get away with it - I was standing next to them teaching and constantly cruising by during seat work - they started to give up. Another thing that happened is they produced more work which showed more understanding than when they were in heterogeneous grouping. I think this was because they felt less intimidated by "smarty pants" and more of a level playing field. A lot of acting out in heterogeneous groups has to do with students trying to cover up their perceived (real or otherwise) failures. Sort of goes along with the saying, "Better to not say anything (act out) and let others think you are not smart than to open your mouth and remove any doubt."

In addition the other groups were able to practically self-direct with little need for supervision ... you know - the kids all the methods classes and profs told you would show up and there would be little need for any discipline training. I realize this is in juxtaposition to what many teachers believe (I'm one) regarding strong with the weak when grouping but bottom line is not so much what you put into kids that counts; it's what you get out. If heterogeneous groups work for you by all means use them. Consider: Proximity will work if students take the teacher seriously in the first place. If they think the teacher is a fake all the standing next to them in the world will likely have little effect.
Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote