Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

How many copies do you get?

>

nicksgirl

How many copies do you get?
Old 08-08-2012, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Or what number do you think is at least reasonable. I taught first last year and we were given ZERO. The only copies that were allowed were for tests and those were made by the office. Only the testing grades were allowed to make copies and even those were limited. They are given ONE test copy to put under the ELMO and the students just bubble in their scantron. Primary did at least get individual test copies. But admin. didn't understand that our kids couldn't handle bubbling in on a scantron.

Now I am a fan of constructivism (sp?) and I don't believe in using copies for everything. But, if you are going to test them with pen and paper and hold me accountable for them knowing testing procedures...then I'm gonna need some copies to do it. For instance, by the end of the year, they expect our first graders to be able to find their answers in passages, underline them and number the paragraphs. Besides the fact that less than 1/4 of them even knowing how to read, how can I teach them to do it with ONE COPY!

So I'm curious as to how many copies most of you are getting per year or semester so that when the discussion comes up I have some kind of reference point. TIA!

nicksgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

MuggleTeacher

Copies
Old 08-08-2012, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We get a copy budget based on how many students we have in our class the first day of school. I think it is around $10 per. student. It must last us all year. The copy room gives us an accounting at the end of every quarter. All of our testing is paid for by the school budget.

In second grade we test every Friday on our weekly objectives and every nine weeks for Benchmarks.
MuggleTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

LilMissSEI

Old 08-08-2012, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm not a huge fan of worksheets whatsoever, but I do feel very lucky to work in a building where there is not a limit on the number of copies we are able to make.
LilMissSEI is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Hos

Copies
Old 08-08-2012, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Luckily we don't have a limit. I don't use a lot of worksheets, but there are times of the year that we need to copy things. I also copy running records and things for reading groups, tests, parent packets and permission slips, etc.

The school I student taught at I think had a limit of 200 a month? That seems low, maybe 500?
Mrs. Hos is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 08-08-2012, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

nicksgirl,
Do the general public/parents know the situation the school's in? Is it because there's no money or they want to go paperless?

multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

krazykaye

No limit
Old 08-08-2012, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We are lucky enough to have no limit on copies. However, it might become a budget issue in the future.
krazykaye is offline   Reply With Quote

raelyn

Copies
Old 08-08-2012, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We don't have copy limits, but I think that's going to change soon. This year we have to punch in a code to use the copiers. There's no limit as of yet, but I can see the writing on the wall. There are signs posted to be "mindful" of the number of copies we're making.
raelyn is offline   Reply With Quote

TchMe

Copies
Old 08-08-2012, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Two years ago we had no limit. Last year, we had no limit, but we had to sign a paper to record every time we took a ream. This year, we are getting swipe cards for the copier, with the limit to be announced. I'll let you know in Sept.
TchMe is offline   Reply With Quote

LoriVincent

Old 08-08-2012, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

8,000 a semester. After that, we purchase them for five dollars per thousand.
LoriVincent is offline   Reply With Quote

lasflores

no limit yet
Old 08-08-2012, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

we do a lot of assessments using smart response and my kids have a copy of the test at their seats so they can go at their own pace. I have them write on all the math tests, but reading tests I use year to year. I am not a fan of worksheets and don't use a lot of them in my classroom. We are asked to plan all copies as a grade so they can all be run at once, we are not allowed to run our own copies.

lasflores is online now   Reply With Quote
jks
Old 08-09-2012, 04:33 AM
This message has been deleted by jks.

teachrchick

Old 08-09-2012, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

No limits at my school either, but I wouldn't be surprised if this changed soon. Our school is soooo excessive with copies (due mostly to the 20-page end of unit Treasures test that ALL students must take every month) that we run out of paper by the end of every school year.
teachrchick is offline   Reply With Quote
teachrchick
Old 08-09-2012, 05:18 AM
This message has been deleted by teachrchick.

GoldiTeaches

Copies
Old 08-09-2012, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We get 2,000 copies per quarter. They are not exactly our report card quarters (because the quarters are set by the copy machine company) but close enough. The office used to order the paper for us to use but now we have to purchase our own paper using our supply money.

I teach K so I don't use very many worksheets either, as many pp have said. But what about all the other stuff? I use close to my copy number each quarter! Homework reading logs, letters home to parents, pages for students to use (other than worksheets - like alphabet stamping pages for my word work center), math tests, etc etc etc! How can you not have ANY copies for things like that!?!?!?
GoldiTeaches is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

crazy
Old 08-09-2012, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We are allowed as many as we need and I make lots of copies...LOTS! No restrictions in my school fortunately. I agree with you , that's not right.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

cheerio

Old 08-09-2012, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Unlimited in my school! Our previous principal used to monitor our photocopy use closely and would get annoyed when we were copying a lot but we never had any idea what the limit was. Our new principal came in and said that he trusted us to make copies wisely and that he wouldn't be monitoring anything.
cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote

abcteacher

Old 08-09-2012, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We are fortunate that we don't have a limit. I do try to be conservative though. There was a teacher in our building that is changing rooms and got rid of 6 huge trash bags full of copies she never used!
abcteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

momtow

No limit
Old 08-09-2012, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

As of now we do not have a limit but they do remind us to copy wisely. I hope it doesn't change this year.
momtow is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

copies
Old 08-09-2012, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We don't have a limit.
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndgracorn

I'm so jealous
Old 08-09-2012, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

That so many of you get unlimited copies. We get 500 a month on the copy machine. We also have another type of machine that is unlimited but you have to supply your own paper and this machine frequently breaks down.
2ndgracorn is offline   Reply With Quote

MelissainGA

No limit
Old 08-09-2012, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

at this school. I have been at a school where we got 200 a month and I had 25 students that year. It didn't go very far.
MelissainGA is offline   Reply With Quote

missingyou

Lucky
Old 08-09-2012, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

To have unlimited copies.
missingyou is offline   Reply With Quote

yourstruly

copies
Old 08-09-2012, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

We get 1500 copies per month, but we have to supply our own paper! I try to buy a couple of boxes of copy paper when they are buy one get one free.
yourstruly is offline   Reply With Quote

luvbees

limit
Old 08-09-2012, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I'm lucky -- no limit. But that might change when the budget gets tighter.
luvbees is offline   Reply With Quote

laffytaffy610

i get
Old 08-10-2012, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

1,000 a month. im worried about that! last year i was at a school with unlimited copies and now I have to really be mindful of the copy limit with 25 kiddos. i don't use worksheet but as pp said the copies go to parent handbooks, word work recording sheets, math tests, etc. : ( i wish we had a machine where we could supply our own paper also!
laffytaffy610 is offline   Reply With Quote

Julie3rd

Old 08-10-2012, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

No Limit
Julie3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

boxermama

This year ?
Old 08-10-2012, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Our limit has gone down every year for the last 5 years. Our limit last year was 12,000 total. When you used it up you were done no matter what. You had to beg copies from a co-worker. We do have document cameras and reading workbooks so that makes it easier.
boxermama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapnstitch

No limit but...
Old 08-11-2012, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

we are not allowed to touch the copiers at all, not even to make one copy of something . The office staff, parent volunteers and assistanst can make copies but not teachers!! We have to put our copies up in the office and wait for someone to make them. If no one can on a particular day then you are just out of luck...I don't make a lot of copies, but when I need them, I want them available...
Tapnstitch is offline   Reply With Quote

nicksgirl

I am shocked
Old 08-11-2012, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

that some of you are required to provide the paper. But on second thought, I would be willing to buy a ream of paper if I could just get a few copies for workstations and things. And no, I don't use worksheets to teach everything either, but imagine if you could NEVER get a copy of ANYTHING!

Quote:
The office staff, parent volunteers and assistanst can make copies but not teachers!!
THIS!!
I have always wondered what degree or certification I can get to get me qualified to touch the copier. I think what burns me up the most is when they waste paper to send home a not that simply says "No school Monday. Labor Day weekend."

We are not even allowed to make copies to send home for homework. We are allowed to send home a monthly calendar of suggested activities but no actual worksheets or copies. And it can't be front/back because that's considered two copies. So the behavior chart has to fit on the page as well.
nicksgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

teach-n-um

Unbelievable!!
Old 08-11-2012, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

nicksgirl-We get 2 reams of 500 sheets per month but we are welcome to purchase our own paper to copy more if we want. My husband is a commercial printer so I have him print all of my back to school stuff in full color. I send home newsletters, homework, student information sheets, field trip reminders, etc. I can't even begin to imagine.
teach-n-um is offline   Reply With Quote

melindabelle

Old 08-12-2012, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I have my own copy machine at home and print the majority of things needed for the classroom that way. When I taught at a private school in Alabama, we were allowed 250 copies per year.
melindabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

wow! I had no idea!
Old 08-12-2012, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

We can copy all we want, but we all have our own paper supply. We get a small budget each year to order supplies from. You spend it the way you want, but that's where your paper comes from, so if you make a lot of copies, you might find yourself buying paper. We also have copy paper on our wish lists.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

Copies
Old 08-14-2012, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

When I taught public school, we were allowed 2,000 a month plus an "emergency" 2,000 for the grade level. I wasn't big on copying so I rarely came close to my monthly allotment.

Now I teach at a private school, there's no limit. However, we try to put most of our stuff on the school server and have the kids print things off at home.
h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote

kerteach2

Amazed
Old 08-14-2012, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

by how many of you have to supply your own paper. I hope the parents know and appreciate that, and maybe donate a ream if they can afford to.
I have no limit on the # of copies I make and paper comes from a school wide budget. I am getting a document camera this year, so I expect to spend less time in the copy room.
kerteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tigercat

no limit
Old 08-15-2012, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

no limit - but we do get "the talk" about getting low on paper and to watch what we run. (That talk is EVERY April to May!)
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

I'm not alone!!!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Wow. I thought my school was tight with the paper. When I first started (6 years ago) it was limitless. But there were some who took advantage of it and slowly it turned into 2 REAMS of paper for the YEAR... this amounts to 1,000 sheets for 23 kids. I teach K so I don't use a lot of worksheets, but like most everyone mentioned... there's HW calendars, letters, extension activities, or centers. Not to mention Benchmarks, Unit Tests, etc.

We can ask for paper but we have to give a specific reason and sign it out. A few years ago a few of us tried to buy and use our own paper but that was stopped quickly. Now we can only use "approved" paper from the office.

I simply try to print/copy what I can at home. If I really need it or want it "special"; i.e. color paper or card stock I just suck it up and go to Staples (That's what the rewards cards are for, right?)
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Melar

copies
Old 08-23-2012, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

We get 1500 copies a month. The Duplo machine is unlimited but we have to run a minimum of 20 copies per original.
Melar is offline   Reply With Quote