Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

need input

>

melindabelle

need input
Old 09-06-2012, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a student taking Early Childhood Classes and I am hoping that a few teachers here will help me out. I am asked to interview a few teachers and note their responses.

1. What does the term "developmentally appropriate practice" means to you?

2. Give examples of ways that your classroom practices are developmentally appropriate.

3. Describe ways you meet individual needs in your classrooms.

Thank you to all for taking the time to do this. Melinda

melindabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

overthemoon

Old 09-07-2012, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach 4 year olds. Developmentally appropriate means to me that I provide instruction and activities that are appropriate for that age group. For example, I would not expect my children to sit and listen to direct instruction for more than about 15 minutes at a time. I provide music and movement activities as part of circle time because I realize they need to move around and cannot sit still for very long. I also do not expect them to do worksheets or write on lined paper. Children at age 4 do not have the fine motor skills necessary to do this. It is more developmentally appropriate to have them write on unlined paper. To meet individual needs, I work with small groups of children or sometimes do one on one instruction. I do this during center time while other children are busily engaged in activities. Hope this helps.
overthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote

PoochLover

To melindabelle
Old 09-07-2012, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi, :-)
I have some ideas on your question. Developmentally appropriate practice means instruction and lesson planning that aligns/meets with the age/grade that you are teaching. For example, a teacher would not teach division to pre schoolers. As all grades, teaching in specific terms is important, but pre school-Kindergarten students need great specifics and only two-three directions, lots of visuals and know different ways to bring information to the kids. Age appropriate. This is much like ability grouping when working/teaching in small groups so that all of the group is learning a similar concept.
Ability grouping, ( naming the groups, for instance: Ducks, Egales, or different colors), really helps to meet individual needs. Some of my kids know upper and lower case and some do not know an A from a Z. The variety is wide.
I like to "raise the bar" in my classroom. Meaning, try a few new concepts out on the students, knowing that there may be only a few who can grasp a new higher level concept. Just because a teacher is teaching one grade level, you will still have the highs, lows and inbetweens.
Today, we had indoor recess, ( lots of rain), .....I tried teaching my preschoolers how to play relay races. I used to do this with second grade. My preschool kids really listened and tried. They worked so well together, helping each other. They did such a great job. Lots of top concepts but they got the drift of it. The kids are hoping that it will rain on Monday. :-)
Hope any/all information helps you. :-)
PoochLover is offline   Reply With Quote