Help

New Teachers

Venting

>

Melio

Venting
Old 11-28-2017, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Venting is normal. It’s healthy. It relieves stress and put things into perspective. It can also make you a less effective teacher. It reminds you that all teachers have experienced the same frustrations. If there is a particular student in mind, it’s also fraught with danger. As a teacher you should never vent about students by name doing so can cause your colleagues to assume that it’s okay to repeat your comments to others. The lines between a professional conversation and a venting one should always be made clear at the outset. Avoid saying anything that reflects a personal dislike for them because when you verbalize animosity about a student, it solidifies the idea in your mind. The result is that they’ll dislike you right back, and you’ll have far less influence over them and their behavior choices.

It’s all too common to overhear teachers in hallways, offices, and staff lounges complaining about students by name and without a care in the world who hears them. It’s always worth waiting until you’re in a secure environment to eliminate the possibility that your words will be overheard, misconstrued, or thrown into the rumor mill. Next time you’re having a bad day, take a step back and breathe. Bide your time until you can pull that one person aside who really cares about you. Then speak from your heart.

Melio is offline   Reply With Quote

Flaggerdoot

I agree
Old 01-15-2018, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love being able to vent. It is an integral part of getting through life, well for me that is. It is the worst when someone vents at the wrong time where it can be overheard, and not only overhead, but overheard by the person you are venting about. That is totally wrong to do. Venting should be in a comfortable area where it is not meant to be heard, but the complete opposite. You want to vent to someone that is non biased and won't form their own opinion based on your situation with that person. I think that becomes are form of being inconsiderate, as well as venting in a place where it can possibly be overheard firsthand by the person your venting about without a care.
Flaggerdoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Venting by name
Old 01-15-2018, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

to the wrong person could be a FERPA and/or HIPPA violation and could be a costly mistake. It is definitely something to watch.

We all need outlets for our frustrations at times. I get that. But we must also guard our hearts and minds against negativity. Sometimes venting and/or prolonged B!thcing can induce others to follow that lead and get into a huge downward spiral.
Lottalove is online now   Reply With Quote