Help

Career Decisions

Masters Plus 45

>

JourneyMan84

Masters Plus 45
Old 02-11-2018, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently certified in K-12 English as a Second Language and Secondary English Language Arts. I have two master's degrees with equals a master's plus 33. I am currently on the plus 30 payscale in my district, and if I take four more graduate courses, I will move up to the plus 45 rate. This would give me an extra $2,000 per year.

Does anybody on here have a master's plus 45? If so, would you recommend going for it? I am wondering if the best course of action would be to take extra graduate courses on a range of topics or stick with one concentration like Educational Technology.

Last edited by JourneyMan84; 02-11-2018 at 07:50 PM..
JourneyMan84 is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Can't help with topics
Old 02-12-2018, 01:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

But think of return on investment.

How long to recover the cost? For me, it was a no brainer as not only did I recover my cost in 2 years, but a nice boost in pay.

On the flip side, lack of ROI due to time before retiring in earning a doctorate nixed that idea.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 02-12-2018, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've reached the final column for education on our district pay scale (M+90/PhD). I agree with PP that you should think about costs for the course & your time and weigh that against the additional pay for however long you plan to continue teaching.

If it were me, I'd take classes towards an additional endorsement in an area you may want to teach some day. I think tech would be a great one!

Another option, depending on your state and certification status, would be to consider National Board certification. In my state, we earn 90 free clock hours (not credits) for successful certification and a state bonus of $6K/year plus additional if you teach at a high need school (at my school the bonus is almost $11K/year). It is a lot of work, but great professional development and definitely helps with pay scale.
WGReading is online now   Reply With Quote

applesaucencr

Old 02-14-2018, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Only if you get full reimbursement because 2k bump isn't much at all. You'd have a better ROI taking the money and investing it instead of taking courses.
applesaucencr is offline   Reply With Quote