Help

The Job Search

Round robin style interview

>

twin2

Round robin style interview
Old 05-25-2018, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The school system I want to work for invited me to a round robin style interview with several other candidates. I'm sure it will be different from system to system, but I wonder what to expect. How can the interview committee get an accurate-- any kind of a picture of an applicant this way? I am not an overly confident, bold acting individual, nor do I think teachers need to be. In this type of interview, I am concerned that a person like me will get lost. I am hoping someone can shed some light and wisdom on this process. Thanks.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-25-2018, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

One of the districts in my area does this. They invite anywhere from 30-60 people to do the round robin process. Their entire staff was involved, with a few people sitting at different tables around the room. Each table had a question they were assigned to ask, and the candidates rotated among the tables when they rang a bell. They also had a table of students, a table of paras, and a table of parents. They joked that it was like speed dating.

Sometimes multiple candidates would be assigned to go around to the tables together, which was even more awkward. Once, I was paired with someone who already worked at the school but was interviewing to switch positions. Talk about awkward!

After the round robin process, they picked the top 3-4 candidates to go on to the next step. The questions at all of the schools were the same, so after I felt like I'd perfected my answers the best that I could and still wasn't getting selected to move on, I quit applying/accepting interviews in that district. I had to take time off/leave work early to go and it wasn't worth it to participate in what felt like the "teacher bachelor" process .

I'm sure the one candidate chosen out of this process felt really good about themselves, though! That would be nice to feel that the whole school community really wanted you to work there, and I'm sure it was nice for the teachers already at the school to get to be involved in every hiring process.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Noelbastable

Noelbastable

Old 05-25-2018, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I did an interview like this. It was only four admins seated at four tables and you had I think 5 minutes with each. It was awful. The fact that it was only four people and four questions made it even worse - if you did poorly on one, or even just not great, you were basically done.