Help

The Job Search

How long to hear from HR?

>

MrsBeachTeach

How long to hear from HR?
Old 06-18-2018, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How long does it usually take to hear from HR to sign your actual contract? I was offered and accepted a job over 1 week ago but I have yet to hear from HR. I have to resign from my current position as well. I would greatly appreciate any insight, thank you!

MrsBeachTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-18-2018, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think this varies greatly by area. I always see advice on here to wait until you've signed a contract to stop interviewing/applying or resign from a previous position, but that's just not possible around here. Contracts aren't a big deal here and aren't given right away. For my first job, I was given something to sign in October (even though I'd been working since August), my second job never had me sign anything, and my third job had everyone sign in late July no matter how early in the spring you'd gotten hired.

For my second job, I was relocating and needed some sort of proof of employment/salary to get an apartment in the new location. I called HR and explained my situation. The lady seemed a little put out and said they "don't usually do this" but she put together a letter stating my position and salary so that I could get an apartment (should have been forewarning- this district ended up being horrible).

If you're feeling nervous about the position, could you come up with some sort of reason like that and call HR to ask about it? If getting contracts quickly is more the norm in your area, maybe even call and say that you need to sign before you resign from your previous position, and ask for a timeline of when you can expect to receive something by.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Guest473928

Guest473928

Old 06-20-2018, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've been told that once you verbally accept the position you have given them your word and should not continue to interview, because if they find out you could lose the position. Not sure if that's right, but it's what I was told. I would DEFINITELY call HR and flow up/ask about the timeline