Help

The Job Search

Urban or Rural?

>

flutetoot

Urban or Rural?
Old 06-04-2018, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I should be grateful I have this dilemma after searching for jobs for so many years back in New England....I have one job offer with an urban school that has many schools within the district - there are a lot of places to live nearby and the pay is slightly higher. The downside is it is middle school (6th grade) and I've only taught grades 7-10.
I just got a phone call from another district today. This one is rural, only 3 schools in the entire district, fewer places to live nearby, and pays slightly less. The plus side it is 10th grade.

Which do you prefer and why?

flutetoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynnteach2

Old 06-04-2018, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Would you be teaching the same subject in 6th grade job as in the 10th grade job? In the rural job you said there were fewer places to live. What happens if you can't find a place--would you have to commute? Make pro/con lists for each job. Think about the living conditions--is the rural job in a small town, is there shopping, etc.

I would prefer the middle school position as I would have more interaction with grade level peers.
Lynnteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

flutetoot

Old 06-05-2018, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

They are both English positions - but the sixth grade is also teaching social studies. I would have to commute upwards to 25 miles one way in order to find a place to live in the rural area. The urban one has places within 5 miles.
flutetoot is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

I switched TO urban
Old 06-05-2018, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

from a small suburban district and I LOVE it!

I have done 6th grade for many years and love that grade. Doing 7th will get a foot in the door. With a large district there is a lot of movement and an opportunity to transfer!.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 06-06-2018, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It depends. I personally love working in a rural area. I don't have to fight traffic, the landscape is beautiful, my school is more relaxed, and the cost of living is lower.

pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Rural vs. Urban
Old 06-09-2018, 03:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Like PP, I made the switch from rural to urban.

I found that the problems were very similar and that my urban district had more resources (social work, free meals, supplies, curriculum, PD).

It by no means is enough, but the problems are acknowledged and kids are not considered good or bad based on their race.

Also, in smaller towns your personal life is more on display and you have to work hard to overcome the judgement and mistrust that comes from not being from there or not being married to someone from there.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

Old 06-22-2018, 10:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

personally I'd love 6th Grade, as Ive done 10th already (and I loved it) but where I am here, rural is so much better. especially middle school. kids are kids everywhere, and bad parents abound, but overall the atmosphere is cleaner and less dramatic in rural schools. I have one local district I sub in, its like teaching in Mayberry. I also sun in the 2nd largest district in the state, and middle school is hell there. drama, more behavioral issues, attitude issues etc. positive peer presure is a poweful tool, and there tends to be more of it in rural schools.

good luck, sounds like you have two good choices
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote