Help

The Job Search

Impatient

>

twin2

Impatient
Old 08-17-2018, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Teachers here go back in less than two weeks and new teachers go back a little sooner. I am in the teacher poole but have heard nothing, have had no other interviews. My husband told me it's just a process, to relax. No, this is not a process. It's an ordeal. Never in my life have I been aware of a field being so competitive. It doesn't help that positions don't typically open up once the school year is in full swing. I don't want to wait another year for a position. I was a para who went back to school to better herself. Per my contract, I could not take a leave of absence but had to resign my position. I have missed out on two and a half school years since earning my degree. Its been a hard few days thinking about this. I just keep praying something will open up for me soon.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Coffee-mate

Coffee-mate

Try to stay positive through the "process"
Old 08-19-2018, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It does take a long time for schools to finish hiring. I have been hired 2 days before a school started for a full time teaching position, and at the interview was given a can of buttercream yellow paint and told, "Yeah, get your kids to come in tonight to help you paint the room, it will barely be dry by the first day of school."

Remember, on the administrative side there is a lot of shuffling, paperwork, politics, behind the scenes madness, your husband is correct. You have bettered yourself and need to stay in a vibe of plenty, not of "lack" right now.

Now, there are also teachers who said they were definitely coming back who are MIA and who left, moved, took something else, relocated, what have you, and they have to be dealt with too. The district is shuffling teachers they already know into some jobs that are open, making a new pool of who can be put into brand new jobs, and still someone will leave and mess it all up again before Halloween, I bet you.

Some ideas: If you don't hear from them by tomorrow, consider taking a temporary retail job near your home. You can always go back to the retail job on vacations or weekends, and it will give you something to do with some income coming in. Take it as a part time option.

Start knitting or cleaning the house. This serves two purposes, you will unpack that energy you have getting angry about the phone not yet ringing, and will get ahead of the housework for when you actually do start working.

Clean out your professional work closet. You will find you will feel happy and excited again to be getting rid of torn, old, outdated or worn clothing and putting together great outfits, it can be fun. When you get the call you will be ready.

Alternatives/Intervention:

If you get to September 17th (two weeks into the month) and no calls at all, go for a substitute position in the district or outside of the district or go for a part time admin job outside of teaching altogether. This will give you peace of mind for income coming in, and you will not be waiting for a call, you will be working and busy at a new job. You can wait until they need a long term sub to get into the preferred district, which is also highly likely to happen this upcoming year.

Yes, you want your own classroom, and yes you deserve it after all of the hard work you put in. But life has curves and I wanted the same things, but sometimes it did not work out. When I waited for a phone call and it didn't come, I went to sales, marketing, Admin Asst, retail, substituting, and when they called their favorites for substituting and I lost those jobs, I went to tutoring, freelance writing and translation services, some transcription services. To be honest, I made more not teaching one year than teaching! You will get what you are supposed to get, nothing less, but also nothing more in the larger scheme of things.

Also, consider practicing meditation. Not sitting criss-cross applesauce on the floor saying "oohmm," but while you are cleaning, taking a walk, or doing something else, try to quiet your mind and slow it down a bit. The "I want this, but what if....and I don't think that is fair,...and she said at the interview,...and I don't believe that this is happening to me..." that all needs to cool out right now. You will develop a chronic disease for worry and fretting!

Summary: Just wait it out. I think you will get a call, but keep positive until that day comes. Blessings and may your way be easy.

twin2

Thanks
Old 08-20-2018, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have subbed for this school system since I finished student teaching. I did two long term positions. This morning a woman from HR told me there are still special education positions open, and it is possible for me to be hired I to one of those positions if there are no better qualified applicants, so I added spec ed to my desired jobs.

I am thinking about emailing principals in the area to get my name out there for possible long term positions. HR does not handle those. I wish I thought of it sooner.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote